2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sure. Europe is literally on fire, but I get it. Compassion fatigue?

Here's Salisbury Plain burning -- "England's green and pleasant land" had temperatures surpassing 40 C for the first time on the records.

60170897-11005029-On_Salisbury_Plain_in_

Portugal has recorded over 1000 heatwave-related deaths in the last week alone.

This IS a "pressing real world day-to-day" thing. Now. For millions.

I'm genuinely happy to hear that it isn't for you.

Yet.

Thus my reply, asking if it wasn't "hot enough" for them yet!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: losing the internal debate of which is worse: not caring, or "thoughts and prayers". One may actually imply ignorance, while the other hypocrisy.

"Thoughts and prayers" = not caring.

I don't think anyone is fooled by that formula anymore: we all know it's literally meaningless.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:
17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Buying things (RL) and not remembering you already had them. 

But then again, understanding that having multiples of that thing is probably a good end-goal anyway.

Only if you have the storage space.

Very small things in this case. Eurorack modular synthesizer modules of the smallest size.  Only found 2 "oops, extra's" so far (At about US$100 each) which technically I needed to "do it right". Expensive hobby.

Petty peeve: Posting beautiful closeup photos of avatars in the Belli land forum.  Just because you took the photo in Bellisseria, it's not a photo of Bellisseria.  If I want to admire photos of avatars there's a better place to look. I look at the Belli threads to see pictures of homes, not people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Petty peeve: Posting beautiful closeup photos of avatars in the Belli land forum.  Just because you took the photo in Bellisseria, it's not a photo of Bellisseria.  If I want to admire photos of avatars there's a better place to look. I look at the Belli threads to see pictures of homes, not people.

Is photobomb!

17 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

No one cares till it affects them, then they want an instant solution and then find some specific individual to blame when they don't get it .. or worse, find a demagogue who claims to be able to fix things .. just for them.

Not "no one"  - it just sometimes seems that way. I can honestly tell you that I have met people who genuinely do care about what is happening to other unconnected to them apart from by shared humanity. They shame me by their tireless efforts and generosity to address these problems, while I hold back fearing for my own security. But, at the same time, they also inspire me to try and emulate them, to rise above those fears and simply "be human to all other humans"

• Like 2

RL peeve: some people/some policies 

I drive 1 1/2 hrs each way 3 days a week to an inner city vet.  There have been 700 shootings in this city since the beginning of the year and there are absolutely no mental health resources.  It's a great combination.  

Getting threatened with bodily harm at least weekly is common.  Yesterday someone threatened to shove a bag of catfood up my... backside. Pretty mild threat come to think of it. *sigh*  I miss my octopus 🐙 

• Sad 5

19 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Grrr. Peeve - my interest in watching criminal trials.

Why can't I have less infuriating hobbies? Like watching...poker tournaments.

Same here! I love watching trials...watched most of the Johnny Depp one and all of the Kyle Rittenhouse trial last year. But I also love watching poker tournaments...was hilarious when Will Kassouf used to play...xD

46 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Or an interest in traffic court. Somethin'. Gah.

I even watched Caught In Providence during the lockdowns, lol. I know now - if you get a speeding ticket in Providence, just say "I was rushing a birthday cake to the hospital for a children's party!" and the judge will let you off 😎

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Same here! I love watching trials...watched most of the Johnny Depp one and all of the Kyle Rittenhouse trial last year. But I also love watching poker tournaments...was hilarious when Will Kassouf used to play...xD

I even watched Caught In Providence during the lockdowns, lol. I know now - if you get a speeding ticket in Providence, just say "I was rushing a birthday cake to the hospital for a children's party!" and the judge will let you off 😎

Lol, oddly, I have zero interest in traffic court. That'd be a lot easier for me to handle. Poker, too! Or bowling. Or something more tame!

I watch most (if not all) of the big high-profile criminal trials if I remember and if they stream. I used to stay glued to CourtTV's or WildAboutTrial's websites, until I remembered that YouTube is a thing (derp). Now I binge the Law & Crime Network stream when something's "on." I only caught a few days of Depp/Heard, though. That one felt less...public interest. But then, I'm not into celebrity drama at all.

But right now? I'm infuriated watching the trial I'm currently watching (I'll spare the details) because it's only a penalty trial. It's mostly witness/victim statements and the jury will rule on the punishment. I reallllyyyy should give this one a skip. 

Speaking of peeves, though, I'm also peeved that I missed the trial for the woman who was accused of murdering her snake-breeding hubby. That one sounded NUTS (everything from an accusation of trying to rope a coworker into the murder to the cops being unable to determine who even DID the crime in the first place (the wife or her secret loverboy, dayummmm!). Sounded like a terrible TV movie (and no, there were no snakes involved in the murder, but I fully expected that when I first read about it!). I might have to dig back into the archives and watch that one. 😄

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Peeve: People who use motorised vehicles to travel to a gymnasium or sports centre for work-out and exercise.

The previous gym that I used, was 4 miles away and on the other side of a busy highway without any easy pedestrian way there.  And, NO, a bike is not really safe on that particular route either.

Yeah, it is easy to justify the car for that.

Peeve:  People that judge others without knowing anything about their situation.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The previous gym that I used, was 4 miles away and on the other side of a busy highway without any easy pedestrian way there.

Yeah, it is easy to justify the car for that.

Peeve:  People that judge others without knowing anything about their situation.

Lol right? Out here, you could spend 30+ minutes just driving to your gym - especially if you choose one near work. Highways and all.

• Like 2