Peeve.  Any person who thinks the world revolves around their particular country and yes, I include Americans.  Although, I don't see many of us complaining about people calling things differently than we do.    So maybe pretentiousness in regards to one's country would be a better peeve?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

"hello"

Hello is a relatively recent greeting word, which originally meant something else.

Hello was (and still is) a reactionary verb used in circumstances when someone is surprised by something unexpected

"Hello, what's this/that?" someone might have asked curiously.

Now imagine yourself in the Victorian era in a house when suddenly and unexpectantly, you hear a loud strange metallic bell sound ringing.

You trace and approach the source of the strange ringing to a wood and brass mechanical device and pick part of it up. The loud ringing sound suddenly stops. "Hello?" the confused person asks curiously.

That is how "Hello" became the common greeting, when the telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Peeve: Being greeted with a "Hey!"

I usually go with 'Ahoy there!' or 'Peekaboo.' - or, if the mood takes me, 'Awroo!'. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Fun fact, some Southern US accents sounded similar to British accents (mostly older people).

Honestly not one bit. I lived for almost 10 years in the States and mostly Kentucky, travelled all over the south from Alabama to Virginia and none of the accents sound British lol  

They all sound individually identifiable if you spend enough time in the South, but none even remotely British. 😀

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Peeve.  Any person who thinks the world revolves around their particular country and yes, I include Americans.  Although, I don't see many of us complaining about people calling things differently than we do.    So maybe pretentiousness in regards to one's country would be a better peeve?

But they're BETTER! * whine *

4 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

I'm wondering if anyone knows how 'howdy' came into being...

I could guess but instead I looked it up in my venerable 1889 Century Dictionary, which says, "formerly also howdee; a further contraction of how d' ye for how do you or how do you do.  A colloquial greeting now peculiar to the southern and western United States, the fuller form howdy do? being used elsewhere".  Interestingly, I doubt there are many places where you can hear Howdy do? today.  A lot changes in even 130 years.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

I'm afraid I was developing a rather long "worse day" when thinking about the South, particularly Texas, even though knowing intellectually there are plenty of fine people down there. Until I came across Texas Paul ''gettin' after' one of those bad preachers proliferating like weeds all over the US these days   :)  

I watched a few minutes of this but gave up when there was that tirade about a woman's husband being the judge.  This pastor does not know his Bible or he'd have remembered that Deborah was the best Judge the ancient Hebrews ever had.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

That is how "Hello" became the common greeting, when the telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell.

Bell actually preferred the word "Ahoy" but it never caught on. Instead, Thomas Edison's suggestion, "Hello" won out.  See https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-origin-of-hello .

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:
2 hours ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

I'm afraid I was developing a rather long "worse day" when thinking about the South, particularly Texas, even though knowing intellectually there are plenty of fine people down there. Until I came across Texas Paul ''gettin' after' one of those bad preachers proliferating like weeds all over the US these days   :)  

Expand  

I watched a few minutes of this but gave up when there was that tirade about a woman's husband being the judge.  This pastor does not know his Bible or he'd have remembered that Deborah was the best Judge the ancient Hebrews ever had.

Yeah I'm afraid we have some very strange so-called Christians over here, with very odd interpretations of the Bible more suited to war than love    :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:
55 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

I'm wondering if anyone knows how 'howdy' came into being...

I could guess but instead I looked it up in my venerable 1889 Century Dictionary, which says, "formerly also howdee; a further contraction of how d' ye for how do you or how do you do.  A colloquial greeting now peculiar to the southern and western United States, the fuller form howdy do? being used elsewhere".  Interestingly, I doubt there are many places where you can hear Howdy do? today.  A lot changes in even 130 years.

Thanks, and what an interesting dictionary!

Howdy do? LOLOL  I'm sure I've seen some old western where they used that. People would wonder if you'd been drinking if you greeted them in such a way today.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Bell actually preferred the word "Ahoy" but it never caught on. Instead, Thomas Edison's suggestion, "Hello" won out.  See https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-origin-of-hello .

Thank goodness, or we'd all be walking around like pirates.

Fun fact: "Howdy" was the required greeting at my college! My guess is, it's short for "How d'you do?". Texas A&M University.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

We're all very political on this forum today.

Which I'm sure is a peeve for some.

Actually, sort of for me too. I was hoping for a quiet Friday, without agitation.

Hard to write so many posts without a few errors creeping in. On my part, it's difficult to clearly denote "social" issues / evolution without there being a misunderstanding that "politics" was meant. 

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

I guessed it! Being indoctrinated to say "Howdy!", I'm not surprised.

332DA930-81AD-49CD-8BF4-3008A85542BC.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hard to write so many posts without a few errors creeping in. On my part, it's difficult to clearly denote "social" issues / evolution without there being a misunderstanding that "politics" was meant. 

“I’m very concerned that our society is much more concerned with information than wonder, in noise rather than silence. How do we encourage reflection? … Oh my, this is a noisy world.”

There's a lot of wisdom to be found in Mr. Rogers, you know.

• Like 4

In other news, and as some will attest here, one of Canada's major internet / cellular data providers, Rogers (no relation to the nice man in the cardigan) has been experiencing an outage for . . . 17 hours or so now. Probably roughly half of the country is without internet or cell phones.

I'm ok, in the sense that I don't use Rogers. But it's also impacted on debit sales and bank machines, so I can't shop for groceries. Or pretty much anything.

/me scrounges around in her fridge for leftovers that aren't actually green yet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

23 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Actually, sort of for me too. I was hoping for a quiet Friday, without agitation.

I tried to lighten the mood with a mild peeve on music, then someone tried with whiskey, but we are who we are, and everything seems to turn serious and distinctly un-fun in a short amount of time

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Just now, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I tried to lighten the mood with a mild peeve on music, then someone tried with whiskey, but we are who we are, and everything seems to turn serious and distinctly un-fun in a short amount of time

Well, on the FUN side, think how many Canadians are re-experiencing that fun T-Rex Google game today!

9afd3b92ab41ffca7f368a8fcbd6d39a75894efe

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

It's not easy to change an accent!

Easy for some, but impossible for others. In college, I took a Russian language course. One of my fellow students had a very strong Oklahoma drawl. It was hilarious to listen to him speaking Russian with that accent!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's really extra super hard when shopping is involved.. That's usually my go to remedy for escaping such political things in the forums..

It was a close call and escaped just by the skin of mah teeth

I coulda Drownded  Gilbert, Drownded!

hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 2