LL partnering with Speedlight & PremPlus gets Speedlight benefits

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Nice theory but no :)  No such syncing occurred. Apart from that, I'm not even using the same browser with the Raspberry Pi. I use Firefox on the tower and Chromium on the RPi.

ETA: And the RPi has never seen Firefox.

Guess it is an undocumented bug/feature then. 

• Like 1

It is considered a feature I think.

"Your Second Life IMs history is being stored at SpeedLight server. This allows you switching devices easily, but you may worry that some database stores your messages text.

You can conceal your IMs history completely by encrypting them."

https://docs.speedlight.io/viewer-features/im-history-encryption

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

"Your Second Life IMs history is being stored at SpeedLight server. This allows you switching devices easily, but you may worry that some database stores your messages text.

Thank you for that. It confirms that Speedlight does store IMs, which is what we wanted to know. The encryption system is only available to Gold users though. It says that on the page you linked to. That page isn't even available to non-Gold users from within Speedlight. At least I can't find a way to it.

If P+ offers all of Speedlight Gold, and not just unlimited login, then it's good for IM privacy. I'm not going that way though, so, if I need to pass any personal information, I'll do it another way. I don't want my personal information being stored and readable on an anonymous-to-me person's servers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Istelathis said:

Thank you!

ETA: Finding the option was harder than I thought it would be.

encrypt.png

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Colt Leeder said:

IMG-0241.png

Here's the download page on my iPhone - have to pay for the app itself. To use it may be free but I am forced to pay for it to try it and that is not good.

There is no reason to use an app. Just use the browser on your phone.

The website is "Speedlight.io".

379D264E-D9D4-4A83-947E-2378D7CE9407.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Colt Leeder said:

IMG-0241.png

Here's the download page on my iPhone - have to pay for the app itself. To use it may be free but I am forced to pay for it to try it and that is not good.

Like Love said, run it on your phones browser.  That's what I did on my tablet.  No app to download.

• Thanks 1

I use a Raspberry Pi4 for my daily computing and the internet. A while back, a way was found to use Radegast on it but it went wrong for me a couple of days later. So I don't really have a choice if I want to be logged in a lot, and I do, so that I'm around to respond to IMs.

Web pages, which is what Speedlight is, don't have a way to store anything in the computer except in cookies, and they're not suitable for storing many IMs. I'll continue to use Speedlight but I'll use a different computer with a full viewer if I want to pass any personal information.

It would be better if Speedlight had a setting to have IMs deleted from their server on logout. I suppose the reason for keeping them is to provide the same sort of IMs system that SL provides; i.e. stores the more recent IMs so that they are there when IMs to the same people are opened again. It's a good reason but I'd like the option of having them deleted on logout, or on a click, or an option not to store them at all.

Having said that, I use it for free so I get what I pay for :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

... but I'd like the option of having them deleted on logout, or on a click, or an option not to store them at all.

I've discovered that IMs can be deleted at any time on the click of a button. The button can be found at Settings > Messaging

I've also found that Premium+ does not include the full Gold status of SpeedLight. P+ gives a user:

• unlimited online time at SpeedLight
  • advanced 3D World view
  • prioritised support (tickets and live chat) (that's SpeedLight support, which includes live chat)

Gold includes IM encryption, which would make it a lot more desirable, but that's not listed as being part of the Premium+ features.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Thanks 2

I still use lumiya.  I tested speedlight with a new no piof account.

I saw on the settings for free speedlight you can't encrypt your I'm which Is the bit what put me off, but I didn't want to be the one to say that publicly.

It would have been nice if our concerns had been addressed by a Linden.

12 hours ago, belindacarson said:

It would have been nice if our concerns had been addressed by a Linden.

Speedlight isn't an official LL product. It's a tie-in, but LL doesn't make it or support it. If you had concerns, they would probably have been pretty quickly answered by some Speedlight representative though.

13 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Speedlight isn't an official LL product. It's a tie-in, but LL doesn't make it or support it. If you had concerns, they would probably have been pretty quickly answered by some Speedlight representative though.

You are right, it isn't, but LL is plugging SpeedLight as a new Premium Plus perk and, as such, they ought to answer queries about it. We didn't bring Speedlight to LL to answer questions about it; LL brought it to us as a recommendation for us to use. As such, they ought to answer a question concerning the security of personal data. Imo, that is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

You are right, it isn't, but LL is plugging SpeedLight as a new Premium Plus perk and, as such, they ought to answer queries about it. We didn't bring Speedlight to LL to answer questions about it; LL brought it to us as a recommendation for us to use. As such, they ought to answer a question concerning the security of personal data. Imo, that is.

My goodness!

You don't have to use SpeedLight. It's not like using "Second Life" via the official SL viewer other Third Party viewers, where you have to use one of them (if you do not use SpeedLight).

Saying what LL "ought" for some other company is pretty demanding!

I'm just saying!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My goodness!

You don't have to use SpeedLight. It's not like using "Second Life" via the official SL viewer other Third Party viewers, where you have to use one of them (if you do not use SpeedLight).

I'm just saying!

Indeed.

Being rather blunt on this topic: all Linden Lab could answer reliably here concerns their end of all of this. Nothing else.

You want to know if (or why) this particular TPV system stores IMs on their own servers you ask them directly, not Linden Lab.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My goodness!

I'm just saying!

You haven't understood. In making SpeedLight a perk of P+, LL actually recommends that we use it. So, inasmuch as they recommend that we use it, they ought to have answered the important question about our data when we use it. As I said earlier, that's my opinion. Also, as I said earlier, we didn't bring SpeedLight to LL; LL brought it to us with a recommendation to use it, so it's not unreasonable to ask LL about SpeedLight's data storage.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, belindacarson said:

Also just as important.  If I answer someone who is using speedlight are my own responses stored by speedlight servers without my consent?

Yes. This IM storage part of the thread came up because I started to use SpeedLight a few weeks ago and I found that three IM messages that were written a year or two earlier were shown to me. Two were written by me while using SpeedLight and the other was written by a friend who wasn't using SpeedLight at the time. I have IMs now with people who use normal viewers, and both sides are stored - and all in plain language. Gold users can have them all encrypted, but that's not part of the P+ perk.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Yes. This IM storage part of the thread came up because I started to use SpeedLight a few weeks ago and I found that three IM messages that were written a year or two earlier were shown to me. Two were written by me while using SpeedLight and the other was written by a friend who wasn't using SpeedLight at the time. I have IMs now with people who use normal viewers, and both sides are stored - and all in plain language. Gold users can have them all encrypted, but that's not part of the P+ perk.

Pay extra so we wont store your data in plain text !!

How much do I have to pay for get a password that doesn't contain the word password?

• Like 3

Just now, Coffee Pancake said:

Gold users can have them all encrypted, but that's not part of the P+ perk.

Pay extra so we wont store your data in plain text !!

How much do I have to pay for get a password that doesn't contain the word password?

Yeah, the whole "we'll encrypt it if you actually PAY" part is somewhat ridiculous. 

What, are they paying for encryption software licensing on a per-user basis?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.