LL partnering with Speedlight & PremPlus gets Speedlight benefits

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

Well, you also gotta understand, they are not only developing the app. They are also developing other new stuff and updating other stuff. So if something gets canned in the middle, its probably because they took on more they can chew at the time. I mean there are games that I want to come out sooner, but I would rather a company take the time and do it right the first time. Instead of it being chalked full of bugs. This is honestly how I see it, it will come out when it comes out. There is no need to rush them. I mean they are not some triple a game studio. They are a smaller studio, with probably not even half of that. 

Did you note they have 48 people working at Tila who are there for the express purpose of taking your monies but only 3 or so developers who are working on giving you the services you pay for? 

18 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Did you note they have 48 people working at Tila who are there for the express purpose of taking your monies but only 3 or so developers who are working on giving you the services you pay for? 

Okay, you sound really crazy, but I will divulge. They are not taking your money, for the sole purpose of taking it. They are taking it, as we are paying for a service to enjoy. 2 48 people is not a lot when you consider most development teams go into the 100s. So I mean I can understand why it takes them longer to put something out. I really don't get why this is a problem. I mean CD Projekt Red has 3 or 4 studios each with a substantial team in them. So you expect a team of 48 people to do the same amount of work and put it out in half the time? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Okay, you sound really crazy, but I will divulge. They are not taking your money, for the sole purpose of taking it. They are taking it, as we are paying for a service to enjoy. 2 48 people is not a lot when you consider most development teams go into the 100s. So I mean I can understand why it takes them longer to put something out. I really don't get why this is a problem. I mean CD Projekt Red has 3 or 4 studios each with a substantial team in them. So you expect a team of 48 people to do the same amount of work and put it out in half the time? 

Go back and reread what I wrote.

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Go back and reread what I wrote.

Sorry, 3 people. So do you expect 3 people to do a crap tonne of work and put out updates at robotic-like speeds? I mean if you want an app out in 3 to 6 months, and they are also working on a whole host of other things. That is impossible. 

• Like 1

I don't know where the 48 number came from, but Tilia's main business is not software, it's compliance, and that might need a lot of bodies at least initially.

This huge compliance overhead is also why I've never really understood how Tilia's business is going to be all that profitable, but presumably JPMorgan can assess that better than I can. It's certainly a barrier to entry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Sorry, 3 people. So do you expect 3 people to do a crap tonne of work and put out updates at robotic-like speeds? I mean if you want an app out in 3 to 6 months, and they are also working on a whole host of other things. That is impossible. 

Ah yes, but but but ... SoMeOnE aLrEaDy DiD iT! iT cAn'T bE tHaT hArD!

I swear ...

There is a reason I started telling some, on some topics, to "build it yourself" ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes, but but but ... SoMeOnE aLrEaDy DiD iT! iT cAn'T bE tHaT hArD!

I swear ...

There is a reason I started telling some, on some topics, to "build it yourself" ...

I swear people expect them to pump out updates and newness very quickly. Without taking into consideration they are a new team, and are human beings too. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I don't know where the 48 number came from, but Tilia's main business is not software, it's compliance, and that might need a lot of bodies at least initially.

This huge compliance overhead is also why I've never really understood how Tilia's business is going to be all that profitable, but presumably JPMorgan can assess that better than I can. It's certainly a barrier to entry.

"The Second Life economy is still measured at $650 million nearly 20 years after its founding. Tilia has about 48 employees."

https://venturebeat.com/games/tilia-spins-out-gets-minority-investment-from-jp-morgan-to-do-metaverse-payments/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

"The Second Life economy is still measured at $650 million nearly 20 years after its founding. Tilia has about 48 employees."

https://venturebeat.com/games/tilia-spins-out-gets-minority-investment-from-jp-morgan-to-do-metaverse-payments/

450 million in profit is not that bad. I mean I think they are worth more than that today, but still 450 million is definitely something to write home about. 

On 10/20/2022 at 2:15 PM, belindacarson said:

That's why I pinged The below - would be nice to get some information so we know it's accurate instead of unchecked facts ^^

@Patch Linden

Since, in the Starlink thread, you asked Patch to comment here, and he hasn't. And also because others who could answer the questions have been pinged but haven't responded, I'm taking it that they don't want us to know that Speedlight really does  (or did) store stuff that users would probably prefer not to be stored by an anonymous person/organisation, and without the users' permission or knowledge.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Since, in the Starlink thread, you asked Patch to comment here, and he hasn't. And also because others who could answer the questions have been pinged but haven't responded, I'm taking it that they don't want us to know that Speedlight really does  (or did) store stuff that users would probably prefer not to be stored by an anonymous person/organisation, and without the users' permission or knowledge.

So..if no response, assume the worst?

"They didn't respond, so I MUST be right, absolutely!"

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

What does Elon Musk's Internet service, have to do with Speed light? You truly went off the bandwagon. Lol 

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

...or Patch doesn't know / hasn't had time to find out during a single Friday, and the Speedlight dude hasn't been on the forum since the end of July.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So..if no response, assume the worst?

"They didn't respond, so I MUST be right, absolutely!"

I didn't say that. I said that I'll assume that it's true. I didn't say that it's definitely true.

Also, I didn't say that Speedlight does or did store IMs. I said that that's what it looks like. And it definitely looks like that.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

I didn't say that. I said that I'll assume that it's true. I didn't say that it's definitely true.

Also, I didn't say that Speedlight does or did store IMs. I said that that's what it looks like. And it definitely looks like that.

Not necessarily as it could have stored those IM's from a previous session in the browser profile data and if you then synched the browser on the new machine with the profile you used on the original, Google and or Firefox would have transferred the stored App data to the new machine, and voila, there are those original IM's.

17 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

What does Elon Musk's Internet service, have to do with Speed light? You truly went off the bandwagon. Lol 

It doesn't disprove falling off that wagon, but there's at least an association between Speedlight and Starlink here. That said, I think precisely zero uncertainty is reduced by Patch not responding to random pings on the Forums, other than a hint he may have better things to do.

Granted, the Lab has some interest in what this third party is doing, especially when they provide a service bundled in a Lab offering. (My hunch is that somebody in Lab marketing wonders how this ever seemed such a good idea at all, never mind whither goes Phil's IMs.)

On 10/5/2022 at 12:14 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Though if you are P+, then you get unlimited time, so FREE

Sadly it is not really free as such - you have to pay for the app at least you do on the iPhone :( 

With no free download it's a no go as I am unwilling to pay for the app to see what it is like thanks.

Edited by Colt Leeder

2 hours ago, Colt Leeder said:

Sadly it is not really free as such - you have to pay for the app at least you do on the iPhone :( 

With no free download it's a no go as I am unwilling to pay for the app to see what it is like thanks.

Bummer.  The Android app looks to be free.  Also, you don't have to pay when it runs within a browser, though not sure how the 3D part works within a browser on a mobile phone.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Bummer.  The Android app looks to be free.  Also, you don't have to pay when it runs within a browser, though not sure how the 3D part works within a browser on a mobile phone.

It is free on Android, however, things may be totally different on the Apple Store. 

7 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

It doesn't disprove falling off that wagon, but there's at least an association between Speedlight and Starlink here. That said, I think precisely zero uncertainty is reduced by Patch not responding to random pings on the Forums, other than a hint he may have better things to do.

Granted, the Lab has some interest in what this third party is doing, especially when they provide a service bundled in a Lab offering. (My hunch is that somebody in Lab marketing wonders how this ever seemed such a good idea at all, never mind whither goes Phil's IMs.)

As one who rarely misses the opportunity to point out inconsistencies in the S/L service, I can't slight Patch for not responding to this for the simple reason that when a poster comes to the Forum and blocks those who might have an answer, does not use the readily seen Help Chat function on the Speedlight app itself, nor takes advantage of S/L's own support ticket system, does such a one really want help?

Edited by Arielle Popstar
spelling and words

8 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I mean if it has a setting, the user has to enable it. Firestorm allows that, but the IMs go to your appdata folder. 

@Colt LeederIve been using speedlight for free on my phone for a year or two without paying for anything or downloading anything.

Actually this is a good offer linden is giving away something that costs $20 a month last time i looked so yes it is a free gift.  

They are giving away Gold Membership to Speedlight which the ability to leave one avatar online 24/7 with all your messages saved even after you logged out.  So no messages are lost to capped messages ever.  That is of value to business owners and people with busy social lives.

Although I did have hope linden would make us a proper SL viewer for our phones not just so i can use it but to future proof SL and compete with all the other cool phone games many people do not even have a computer anymore, but they have a phone.

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2022 at 2:53 PM, Arielle Popstar said:

Not necessarily as it could have stored those IM's from a previous session in the browser profile data and if you then synched the browser on the new machine with the profile you used on the original, Google and or Firefox would have transferred the stored App data to the new machine, and voila, there are those original IM's.

Nice theory but no :)  No such syncing occurred. Apart from that, I'm not even using the same browser with the Raspberry Pi. I use Firefox on the tower and Chromium on the RPi.

ETA: And the RPi has never seen Firefox.

Edited by Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.