Looking forward to 2048 Linden Homes...

Fay Starlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/9/2022 at 11:50 PM, Claireschen Hesten said:

If it's the region second on the right above the pink one that's a version of Millbank. There was a time as an April fools joke or something like that, that the quad of 'parcel's' were four blocks of flats done out as a fake "potential theme" for Bellisseria

Well that's a bummer. Those of us who are paying for premium plus deserve 2048 homes at the least. I don't know about you guys but trying to decorate any home (to my liking) for only 351 prims is impossible. Even with how mesh has evolved these days, I can't do it. I like too many stores that are well made but sometimes have higher Li items. I like how if you're premium plus  you can own a homestead without having to own a private region first but that's way too much for land on top of the membership. I don't understand why we can't just get a homestead as a part of premium plus? Lol with how much we are paying it would be fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

I don't know about you guys but trying to decorate any home (to my liking) for only 351 prims is impossible.

It is not impossible. MANY of us did it and did it well. Check the OLD Belli posts from a couple of years ago.  If you buy heavy and primmy mesh -- well, yes, you will have a problem. But miraculously many of us did a fine job with 50 land impact and a small house. The reason that Belli is so LAGGY and unusuable these days (and honestly for at least a year and a half before) is because of folks using all the heavy mesh.

Hopefully the 2048 Belli lots will be even fewer than their counterparts in the regular populous.  I can't imagine moving around with all those textures and triangles.

The key is to SHOP SMARTER. Many threads here on that if you care to look LOL.

My fps in Belli are often around 10. They are 129 on the ground on my homestead.  I loved being in Belli -- especially on opening day. But it is what it is. It still works for some folks and I am happy they are happy. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

I don't understand why we can't just get a homestead as a part of premium plus? Lol with how much we are paying it would be fair.

A homestead is $109/month. PP is $249 a year. How is giving everyone a homestead that costs $1,308 a year fair to LL?  Now even I think that land prices are too high but to ask for LL to throw in $1,308 worth of land is kind of ridiculous. For sure a discount would be nice though if you are premium plus. I would think that would be fair but to give it for free? They have to maintain a business and just because people can't afford it doesn't mean they should be given it for free.

From their land FAQ's

Why do I have to pay for land?

Getting virtual land in Second Life is a lot like getting a personal website: you can put whatever you want on it, but your site still needs storage space on a computer that is turned on and available on the Internet, 24/7. When you have land in Second Life, you're actually renting storage/server space at Linden Lab. Each piece of land takes up a certain amount of dedicated storage space - the more land, the more space. So, it's like renting a hard drive.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

...you're actually renting storage/server space at Linden Lab

Servers are no longer at Linden Lab, been moved to AWS and you can run the simulator software even at the lowest spec servers , most 24/7 Opensim regions run there too.

(dirt cheap, usually on the FreeTier plan).

50 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Servers are no longer at Linden Lab, been moved to AWS and you can run the simulator software even at the lowest spec servers , most 24/7 Opensim regions run there too.

(dirt cheap, usually on the FreeTier plan).

Well they need to update their FAQ's and then also lower the price of land. :) 

14 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

It is not impossible. MANY of us did it and did it well. Check the OLD Belli posts from a couple of years ago.  If you buy heavy and primmy mesh -- well, yes, you will have a problem. But miraculously many of us did a fine job with 50 land impact and a small house. The reason that Belli is so LAGGY and unusuable these days (and honestly for at least a year and a half before) is because of folks using all the heavy mesh.

Hopefully the 2048 Belli lots will be even fewer than their counterparts in the regular populous.  I can't imagine moving around with all those textures and triangles.

The key is to SHOP SMARTER. Many threads here on that if you care to look LOL.

My fps in Belli are often around 10. They are 129 on the ground on my homestead.  I loved being in Belli -- especially on opening day. But it is what it is. It still works for some folks and I am happy they are happy. 

I have looked, and a lot of the stores people are using things from don’t appeal to my taste, sorry :(

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wow

I love how you are always out to belittle me just for voicing my own opinion. They really don’t offer much more incentive to pay the 30$ a month. The stipend went up to what? A whole 650? Honestly I don’t see why they can’t manage a fair 1k a week minimum? It makes sense from a consumer pov. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

I love how you are always out to belittle me just for voicing my own opinion. 

I don't go out of my way to belittle anyone -- just ask anyone that has been around these forums for years.

2 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

It makes sense from a consumer pov. 

Lots of things make sense from a consumer POV.  And if companies ran their business entirely from a 'Consumer POV', there would be a lot fewer of them in business.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't go out of my way to belittle anyone -- just ask anyone that has been around these forums for years.

Lots of things make sense from a consumer POV.  And if companies ran their business entirely from a 'Consumer POV', there would be a lot fewer of them in business.

I find it funny you always quote me and specifically look for ways to talk down on me voicing an opinion on a public forum. You're targeting me, it's obvious. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Frigga Freidman said:

I'm curious to know what unrepresented stores/brands are among the ones you prefer. I'll keep a look out for them in case of sales: 

I know it's going to sound basic, but I like a lot of stores that may come off mainstream. Like BackBone, Dust Bunny, Hive, etc. Some of these stores are heavier in land impact than others, yes. That's why I find it difficult to decorate a linden home with them.

17 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

A homestead is $109/month. PP is $249 a year. How is giving everyone a homestead that costs $1,308 a year fair to LL?  Now even I think that land prices are too high but to ask for LL to throw in $1,308 worth of land is kind of ridiculous. For sure a discount would be nice though if you are premium plus. I would think that would be fair but to give it for free? They have to maintain a business and just because people can't afford it doesn't mean they should be given it for free.

From their land FAQ's

Why do I have to pay for land?

Getting virtual land in Second Life is a lot like getting a personal website: you can put whatever you want on it, but your site still needs storage space on a computer that is turned on and available on the Internet, 24/7. When you have land in Second Life, you're actually renting storage/server space at Linden Lab. Each piece of land takes up a certain amount of dedicated storage space - the more land, the more space. So, it's like renting a hard drive.

I understand this, but we are paying them already for the membership - that is where I am confused why it couldn't be included. I know we have the luxury of 1024 for premium, and 2048 for premium plus, but honestly, that's still not a lot for the price of the membership yearly when  you factor in that most people pay for it monthly, like myself - due to the fact of not being able to fork out the 99$/249$ (that's insane for Prem plus... 249$?!?!) Point being, for the perks, I feel like it doesn't offer much unless you're a creator, really.

I think it's too expensive for what you get,  too, so, guess what?  I didn't pay for plus.  No one has to.  Premium Plus is not for everyone, but it is an option for those who WILL benefit from the extras.  I don't feel like I DESERVE anything.  I could play for free and not have any monthly costs.  I'm not forced into a membership.  No one else is forced to pay for a membership, either. 

You can always ask for a benefit.  You can try to rally others to your viewpoint and try to convince the lab that they can make money on it, so it's a good business decision. I see a lot of people expecting to have everything that they personally want for cheap or free with no benefit to the business, just cuz they feel entitled to it.

• Like 7

If premium plus was only about larger houses, they wouldn't have launched it until the larger houses were ready. But it's not all about that. There are other things included which will be more important for some people. I'm a creator and was paying tier on land for my shop, so I benefited from signing up immediately. I was also able to request a great house from the existing ones. I don't want one of the bigger ones, so this was perfect for me.

For anyone who does only want the larger houses, it makes sense to wait until those are added. No point paying for a service you don't need. But at a wider customer level, it doesn't make sense to delay everyone else from signing up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

I understand this, but we are paying them already for the membership - that is where I am confused why it couldn't be included. I know we have the luxury of 1024 for premium, and 2048 for premium plus, but honestly, that's still not a lot for the price of the membership yearly when  you factor in that most people pay for it monthly, like myself - due to the fact of not being able to fork out the 99$/249$ (that's insane for Prem plus... 249$?!?!) Point being, for the perks, I feel like it doesn't offer much unless you're a creator, really.

So you want them to just "throw in" over $1,300 to a member that is paying $249/year? Who would do that? 

I got it for the free texture uploads and the additional groups plus the additional stipend.  I'm not a creator. I also signed up knowing that the 2048 houses weren't released yet (hopefully soon)

Just the monthly land cost and stipend brings that cost to more than a $249 value for what you get back.

$24x12 is $288/year so they are actually giving you back your subscription fee + $39 not to mention the other perks that you would then get for free.

So what part of LL is greedy again?

L$650

Weekly stipend to use any way you like (approx. $11 cash value every month)

Up to 2,048 m²

of mainland for zero monthly land fees (approx. $13 cash value every month)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

I know it's going to sound basic, but I like a lot of stores that may come off mainstream. Like BackBone, Dust Bunny, Hive, etc. Some of these stores are heavier in land impact than others, yes. That's why I find it difficult to decorate a linden home with them.

<data nerd> I did a quick tot up of my houses, looking at Hive, Dust Bunny and some other often 'heavy' LI high-quality creators (Nutmeg, Apple Fall, Trompe) - I've used all of them (notably Hive kitchens in 3 of the houses) and each house (and garden) is highly-decorated using a total of 328-343 LI. (Note that I may have missed some items that have been linked to those by other creators.) Anyway, I think this shows that you *can* use visually-appealing, higher-LI objects as a substantial portion of decor and still come in under 351 LI. </data nerd> 

houses.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

I find it funny you always quote me and specifically look for ways to talk down on me voicing an opinion on a public forum. You're targeting me, it's obvious. 

I always quote when my response is directly about another comment -- so that people know what I am commenting about. You are not targeted anymore than anyone else that I have ever quoted in these forums.

But hey, all are entitled to their own opinions about everything posted here, including all comments (and quotes) that I make. 

If, for some odd reason, you prefer to feel attacked, then so be it.  That is totally on you.

21 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Well they need to update their FAQ's and then also lower the price of land. :) 

Yes they will, someday.

Especially the System Requirements Recommended Hardware for the client. (Nvidia 9600? ...sure.)

• Haha 1

I wish I had more prims, but I have learned over time to manage the 351 better. It's the main reason I prefer smaller houses in the LHs, because managing prims is easier that way.

I have tried rentals, mainland tracts of all sizes, and even had a homestead all to myself once. I keep to Linden Homes though, because it's very difficult to find interconnected and protected ocean and river views on mainland. There is always an element of chaos on mainland that wears me out, no other way to describe it, lol.  Rentals are nice sometimes, but had rules I didn't care for, and the homestead just felt isolated and rather lonely. 

I have loved having waterfalls, lighthouses, ocean sunsets, sunrises, and other variations that already come terraformed and landscaped by experts. Having a set choice of houses can get stale, but there are almost a dozen themes for variety. 

The Lindens are currently building hundreds of new Houseboat themed Linden Homes. When those are available many people will have protected water access, and it won't cost them anything extra beyond a basic premium membership. There will be no tiers, rents, and their area will come with rules in place to hold back that "chaos element" and impingement by others. Quite a nice entitlement for your membership. You can have that and maybe make some new friends. I think it's pretty cool.

• Like 10

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.