Looking forward to 2048 Linden Homes...

Fay Starlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/23/2022 at 4:51 PM, Nika Talaj said:

In the US, "ranch house" is a very very common, well-defined style.  I hope it's interpreted a little more broadly than just a large 1-story tract home with simple pitched roof and driveway.  But we will see soon enough.

In RL, I live in a ranch style condo to differentiate from a multi-story condo. There are 3 other attached units. I'm a fan of ranches, especially after I paid a visit to my niece's family in Colorado. It seemed like a long trek every night to get to the guest bedroom. 😊

Edited by Marisa Starbrook
The usual omissions
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Frigga Freidman said:

<data nerd> I did a quick tot up of my houses, looking at Hive, Dust Bunny and some other often 'heavy' LI high-quality creators (Nutmeg, Apple Fall, Trompe) - I've used all of them (notably Hive kitchens in 3 of the houses) and each house (and garden) is highly-decorated using a total of 328-343 LI. (Note that I may have missed some items that have been linked to those by other creators.) Anyway, I think this shows that you *can* use visually-appealing, higher-LI objects as a substantial portion of decor and still come in under 351 LI. </data nerd> 

houses.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAA, I LOVE data nerds!!  They make the world go round!

• Like 5

20 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't go out of my way to belittle anyone -- just ask anyone that has been around these forums for years.

Lots of things make sense from a consumer POV.  And if companies ran their business entirely from a 'Consumer POV', there would be a lot fewer of them in business.

That's interesting, LittleMe, because I just read an article about Disney's CEO making a point of basing decisions on the Consumer POV. They keep raising their prices, and people keep paying. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Frigga Freidman said:

<data nerd> I did a quick tot up of my houses, looking at Hive, Dust Bunny and some other often 'heavy' LI high-quality creators (Nutmeg, Apple Fall, Trompe) - I've used all of them (notably Hive kitchens in 3 of the houses) and each house (and garden) is highly-decorated using a total of 328-343 LI. (Note that I may have missed some items that have been linked to those by other creators.) Anyway, I think this shows that you *can* use visually-appealing, higher-LI objects as a substantial portion of decor and still come in under 351 LI. </data nerd> 

houses.jpg

This is nice, but is your house *fully* decorated though? Not just a few sparse items per room and calling it done? You know, like  you'd see a real house. Tv, furniture, curtains, stuff on counters, etc. 

50 minutes ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

This is nice, but is your house *fully* decorated though? Not just a few sparse items per room and calling it done? You know, like  you'd see a real house. Tv, furniture, curtains, stuff on counters, etc. 

I took a peek inside her Traditional when I was Trick or Treating and it was completely decorated. Top to bottom and it looked amazing. She's also posted her Sakura (I think it was the Sakura) and it was also complete. She's the real deal. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fay Starlight said:

I wish I had more prims, but I have learned over time to manage the 351 better. It's the main reason I prefer smaller houses in the LHs, because managing prims is easier that way.

I wish you had more prims too LOL I personally like what you do with them.

Good news is we're gonna get more prim allowance *soon* and I -- like the title of this thread suggests -- am also really looking forward to the 2048 homes :D 

The 351-constraint is way better than the 75-constraint I used to live with in the old themes; I haven't stopped seeing that as the upgrade that it is, every time I turn my mind to filling up a new house. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Leora Greenwood said:

Still waiting to hear, I believe, sigh.  I vote for the latter, current themes on bigger parcels.

Same here. I'd love to have a Doyle or Alderley model in a 2048 parcel (and with campers I'd be over the moon).

22 minutes ago, Birdie Demina said:

The 351-constraint is way better than the 75-constraint I used to live with in the old themes

And the funny thing is that we did manage to put a lot of stuff in those old houses!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

And the funny thing is that we did manage to put a lot of stuff in those old houses!

YES!  Although, if one landed in just the right Tahoe home, one had all the scenery one could hope for outside the window; and I remember towards the end of my stay there, in a house on Albatross, putting very little **inside** the home when the outside was so lovely to look at.  /nostalgia train comes to screeching halt. 

Yes indeed, looking very much forward to 2048 parcels! 

On Albatross.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marisa Starbrook said:

That's interesting, LittleMe, because I just read an article about Disney's CEO making a point of basing decisions on the Consumer POV. They keep raising their prices, and people keep paying. 

Do they? I keep hearing people say they are canceling their Disney vacations. And I just read an article last week saying Disney plans hiring freeze, layoffs and cost cuts, according to a memo from CEO Bob Chapek. A company has to do what's in the best interest of the company or people loose jobs and sometimes, unfortunately, companies go out of business. So It's a careful balancing act. You have to keep your customers happy, but you also have to pay attention the bottom line to stay healthy. I think the Lab has done a pretty good job balancing benefits verses costs. Plus no one has to pay one single penny to enjoy Second Life if they don't want to.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

OK, I'll toot my own horn, but there are many folks here who could do the same with their homes. By my definition of *fully*, yes. Granted, I don't use curtains because all of my houses are set in landscapes and seascapes that I want to see. (Besides which, in RL, curtains aren't my thing, apart from the bedroom.) My Trad (Adams) has changed a bit since it was posted in the Show Off Your Home And Garden thread, so I've just done a quick round of photos and posted it on my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=frigga.freidman.9&set=a.473387714885613

My Stilt (Tortuga) hasn't really changed much (except for papering the wall behind the bed, shown in a mini-tutorial elsewhere), so here's the link in the Stilt Home Decorating - Show Us Your Style thread: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/465878-stilt-home-decorating-show-us-your-style/?do=findComment&comment=2281541 (rest of the house in the post below link)

Here's the post for my Sakura (Shion) - the largest of all the houses I have.  https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/436002-bellisserians-show-off-your-home-and-garden/?do=findComment&comment=2528649 and https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/436002-bellisserians-show-off-your-home-and-garden/?do=findComment&comment=2528653  - it's more sparsely-decorated in parts, but that's in keeping with the theme, I think. It is, however, the only one of my current houses with a TV. (Used to have a whole TV/music room in my Hardy, Victorian.)

I'm re-doing bits of my Victorian (Doyle), but here are some recent photos that will give you a flavor: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.237993348425052&type=3

As others have said elsewhere, the trick is to shop carefully, mix items from different creators, and link items where it works to your advantage.

• Like 14

If you stick to no large add ons and no outside decor you can do quite a bit. I did this on 175 and it was before I learnt how to link and remove scripts. I've seen others do some great work on linden homes but I guess it is tempting to go large with the inside and the outside rather than pick just one. 

51351671292_9644797d71_b.jpg

51353429195_4224a2cec9_k.jpg

• Like 12

I've said it before, and I'm sure I will say it again, but I personally enjoy the challenge that the LI limit presents.  Anyone can buy a bunch of décor from their favorite designers and fill up a house when there is no limit.  Having limits spurs my creativity and causes me to evaluate combinations of items that I otherwise wouldn't have considered, often for the better.  

Would I like to see what I could do if I had no limit and money were no object?  Of course, but I that's not very likely.

I'll add that the LI limits exist for a reason, several reasons in fact.  It amuses me when people think that the moles/Lindens could just waive a magic wand and increase the limits without consequences if they wanted.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

On 11/16/2022 at 7:19 PM, Lydia Amethyst said:

My LHomes has had bathroom, bedroom, kitchen and living room, and even stuff in the garden.

The last LHomes I had was Newbrooke.

I have Bradbury here, and also Denver. Newbrooke | Flickr

I did not cheat and pick up items from one room before I took pictures of another. What you see, is just as it was.

I am very good at finding low Li stuff. But I have been doing it since 2019. A main thing is to not allow small decor, like pictures, that is higher than 0,5 Li. Two can be linked and land impact goes down to 1. Also, big pictures = big decor. Same with stuff like books. Apple Fall has a lot of book arrangements that's 0,5 Li. Some other stores has book arrangements that's 0,8 Li... and they are not giving any positive impact when linking them. 0,8 + 0,8 = 1,6 and that is rounded up to 2. 

EDIT: I explained this very clumsy. I should use DOWNLOAD and SERVER. Those two (and physics) is what makes land impact.

When I have written Li here, I should used server instead. The number is found when one click on "more info" in the edit window. 2 objects with 0,5 server, can be linked and be 1 Li. But only if the download of the two objects are lower than 1,4 when linked.

And it is much decor that fill those two criteria, but also much that don't. It is best to experiment in a sandbox with this.

1477240470_Downloadandserver.png.78fc8c1b4a2b7f9d0b94971ae6ba22f5.png

The garden is the same. I have some lovely flowers from Landscaping by Felix. In those packs, almost all groups are 1 Li when rezzed. But only some are 0,5 Li, the rest is 0,8 or 1 Li. Only the 0,5 Li groups are used, so I can link them and save Li. 

I still use things like the big Tv wall from Dust Bunny - Gracie living room - because it is a big impact in the room. Was it smaller, it would not be used. If it is higher in Li, it has to be big. All the plants from Dust Bunny stay in my inventory. I use 1 Li plants from Roiro instead.

It was really fun to link and link, and make it look like I used 500 Li on decorating instead of 371.

But it gets old... and now I like to use things like plants from Konoha. Their sunflowers are lovely, but the smallest groups are at least 3 Li and nothing to save on linking.

If I go back to a Linden home, I have to put them back and use only grasses and other low Li from them.

Edited by Marianne Little
typo and adding a few words
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have a little trad on Venber that I even surprised myself on--lol. Have a really full garden and the interior is all decorated too. I omitted the bathroom on this one, but that was it, I just walled off part of the upper room (Continental) since I wanted to use more prims outside!

I invite anyone to check it out. I did it all on 352 prims and I got a few left over.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Venber/59/93/35

-------------------

I also omitted the bath here and added more to the garden, including a little add on I made as well. I decided recently no more toilets, LOL. I might do a bath and vanity or a laundry room, but bathrooms overall on the backburner lately for me. LOL

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Rocky Heights/45/175/25

• Like 5

On 11/16/2022 at 3:01 PM, Blush Bravin said:

Do they? I keep hearing people say they are canceling their Disney vacations. And I just read an article last week saying Disney plans hiring freeze, layoffs and cost cuts, according to a memo from CEO Bob Chapek. A company has to do what's in the best interest of the company or people loose jobs and sometimes, unfortunately, companies go out of business. So It's a careful balancing act. You have to keep your customers happy, but you also have to pay attention the bottom line to stay healthy. I think the Lab has done a pretty good job balancing benefits verses costs. Plus no one has to pay one single penny to enjoy Second Life if they don't want to.

I just reported what I read. I have never been to Disneyland or Disney World. I've always yearned to ride in one of the teacups, though. It is really costly, and I was surprised that my friend and her family went to Disney World right after the major hurricane hit this fall. They had planned and saved for years for the trip. They managed to go and have a great time.

I just reread your post, and I think it would be hard to really get into the SL experience without spending some money. I went for a long time without having a premium account. I could never get into owning Mainland, so I've rented over the years from private estates. Until Bellisseria came along and made me a happy hopper, I had been quite content to be a renter with 1200 prim allowances.

Edited by Marisa Starbrook
an addendum
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Chloe Bunny said:

If you stick to no large add ons and no outside decor you can do quite a bit. I did this on 175 and it was before I learnt how to link and remove scripts. I've seen others do some great work on linden homes but I guess it is tempting to go large with the inside and the outside rather than pick just one. 

51351671292_9644797d71_b.jpg

51353429195_4224a2cec9_k.jpg

that looks pretty epic!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marisa Starbrook said:

I just reported what I read. I have never been to Disneyland or Disney World. I've always yearned to ride in one of the teacups, though. It is really costly, and I was surprised that my friend and her family went to Disney World right after the major hurricane hit this fall. They had planned and saved for years for the trip. They managed to go and have a great time.

I just reread your post, and I think it would be hard to really get into the SL experience without spending some money. I went for a long time without having a premium account. I could never get into owning Mainland, so I've rented over the years from private estates. Until Bellisseria came along and made me a happy hopper, I had been quite content to be a renter with 1200 prim allowances.

I grew up in California and going to Disneyland was a yearly trip from the time I was around 10 years old. So, I'm a Disney lover, but I have to agree that the prices are just too high for most people these days. I've wanted to take my grandkids to Disney but I just can't swing the price.

As for Second Life, I've been fortunate that in the past twelve years or so I've not spent any RL money on SL. I remember someone telling me their motto many years ago that SL pays for SL. I took that to heart and opened a business. I have been a premium member with at least one premium since 2008, oftentimes having more than one premium with as many five premiums at one point, but my SL business has paid for all my expenses in SL. I know that's not possible for everyone, especially now. But I can honestly say that with all there is available for free in SL a person who simply does not have the money to spend can still have a fabulous SL with zero purchased lindens. I've known quite a few people who have financed their SL, including renting a small home, from their hosting tips alone. And on the other hand, I've known many who spend small fortunes here in SL. I think that's the beauty of SL. It is what you make of it with or without money.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2022 at 1:19 PM, Lydia Amethyst said:

I invite you to come over to my homes and check them out for yourself.  Here's my houseboat: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Babble/65/70/22

Here's my chalet: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Malamute/237/75/23

Here's my Victorian, though it's a mess overrun by kids: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Talpidary/39/216/49

After decorating the ground for these three parcels, I had enough LI leftover to build a second household in the sky and still have some free LI left.

Here's my Newbrooke, where I had my friends' help in making it a cat cafe: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Clingmore Heights/206/224/22

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I grew up in California and going to Disneyland was a yearly trip from the time I was around 10 years old. So, I'm a Disney lover, but I have to agree that the prices are just too high for most people these days. I've wanted to take my grandkids to Disney but I just can't swing the price.

As for Second Life, I've been fortunate that in the past twelve years or so I've not spent any RL money on SL. I remember someone telling me their motto many years ago that SL pays for SL. I took that to heart and opened a business. I have been a premium member with at least one premium since 2008, oftentimes having more than one premium with as many five premiums at one point, but my SL business has paid for all my expenses in SL. I know that's not possible for everyone, especially now. But I can honestly say that with all there is available for free in SL a person who simply does not have the money to spend can still have a fabulous SL with zero purchased lindens. I've known quite a few people who have financed their SL, including renting a small home, from their hosting tips alone. And on the other hand, I've known many who spend small fortunes here in SL. I think that's the beauty of SL. It is what you make of it with or without money.

I grew up in Florida and recall the days when the resident pass for the day was about 26 bucks!!?! 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.