If someone IMs you...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been messing around with the dating app HUD that's like a Tindr knockoff. So, you can send and receive DMs within the HUD and every time I get pinged it's like "omggg a message how cute!" and yet if the same person were to message me from a random group I'd be like ... wtf is this!

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I routinely mistype "madelaine" when attempting to log in. In-world, knowing other people will have the same problem, I often say...

"Call me Maddy, I can't spell Madelaine".

They don't know how serious I am.

You're not even free there..  Maddy or Maddie? It's almost as bad as Kathy or Cathy. I know my cousins mother-in-law is Maddy, because that's how it's spelled on all her album covers LOL

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax
typos
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

You're not even free there..  Maddy or Maddie? It's almost as bad as Kathy or Cathy. I know my cousins mother-in-law is Maddy, because that's how it's spelled on all her album covers LOL

Add Maddi, Madi, Mad, and my all time favorite...

Mad Bag Lady

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Can't spell all?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I never really understood the need to even be a member of an adult group.  I'll be in groups for adult clubs but that's all.   I did belong to one group briefly until I got tired of randoms IMing me while I was at home and when I asked where they saw me, they always said, "I found your name in Blah Blah group".  

Is this why people join Adult groups?  To troll for people?  🤷🏾‍♀️

Yes, I think quite a few join to troll for sex. I have taken myself out of country specific grouops as well as that happens in those too. One guy chatted to me for a few weeks and we got along well but then he said he was visiting my neck of the woods and could we meet, I refused and that was the last I heard of him. It seems he wanted a quick one while he was visiting!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

After about a year of seclusion, I have started lurking out at clubs while I sort inventory or edit pictures.  I find I don't get many messages and those I do get tend to be all the same...

Them: some variation about how my avi looks

Me (after looking at their empty or full of chick pick profile and totally not interested): thank you.

Them: you're welcome.

*crickets...the end*

That's it!  Total conversation.  I HATE those IMs.  It's put the onus on ME to continue the conversation when YOU messaged me.  

There's a reason why my profile says... "Hi....good thanks, you?...That's awesome!  Ball, court, yours."

It's also why I mourn the death of conversation. ..and dislike cold call IMs.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

After about a year of seclusion, I have started lurking out at clubs while I sort inventory or edit pictures.  I find I don't get many messages and those I do get tend to be all the same...

Them: some variation about how my avi looks

Me (after looking at their empty or full of chick pick profile and totally not interested): thank you.

Them: you're welcome.

*crickets...the end*

That's it!  Total conversation.  I HATE those IMs.  It's put the onus on ME to continue the conversation when YOU messaged me.  

There's a reason why my profile says... "Hi....good thanks, you?...That's awesome!  Ball, court, yours."

It's also why I mourn the death of conversation. ..and dislike cold call IMs.

After the crickets, I often get, "You must be busy, bye"

I used to just ignore them after that but you know, someone needs to educate people on how to have a conversation.  Now, I simply say, "No, I'm not busy.  Since you messaged me first, I assumed you wanted a conversation so I was waiting for you to start one."

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

In a mood, I wiped most of my profile clean. I rewrite it frequently anyways. You guys are giving me lots of ideas...

Of course if I use them no one will ever IM me again, but still, clever stuff.

I need to spy on you to get ideas of what to put in mine so no-one ever IMs me either.  Not that they do anyway lol.

I find if "Jordan" lurks at a club dancing - no IMs.  I went to the same club on my blonde alt and she got plenty of IMs.  

Conclusion - men like big boobied blondes, not small boobied babes with black hair?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

If someone calls in RL, I answer the phone. If I don't like the call, I end the conversation.
If someone IM's in SL, I reply to that IM.  If I don't like the call, I end the conversation.

Life can be that simple.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6

I am very inconsistent with IMs.  All depends on the moment.  I usually look around first to see if the person is im-ing because they saw me somewhere.  I also have a tendency to go AFK and forget that I'm logged in so I check the time as well to see how long ago the IM came in if I've been away.  If I'm there and not busy doing something else, I sometimes respond and sometimes I don't.  I do look at the person's profile first.  Then it depends on my mood. You never know when it might be a pleasant exchange between two people and I rather enjoy those.  After all, it's easy enough to run away if things go south.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

If someone calls in RL, I answer the phone. If I don't like the call, I end the conversation.
If someone IM's in SL, I reply to that IM.  If I don't like the call, I end the conversation.

Life can be that simple.

You must be an extrovert. Every introvert I know, including me, will PANIC if the phone rings. Hide. Will it to stop ringing, and hope if it was important they will leave a message. I live my life by, "If it was important they will leave a message."

Oddly, I don't tend to that that same reaction inworld.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

You must be an extrovert. Every introvert I know, including me, will PANIC if the phone rings. Hide. Will it to stop ringing, and hope if it was important they will leave a message. I live my life by, "If it was important they will leave a message."

If I had my way I'd trade unlimited talk with limited data. I spend about 60 minutes a month actually talking on the phone, mostly my Mom.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'm an introvert already.
I will seldom call someone, and almost never start a conversation inworld, but I will always answer.
As an introvert I even was a full time teacher for more than 30 years and was among people all day long, I could handle that all as long as I had enough 'me, myself and I' time in the evenings and weekends.

End of September there is a school reunion, (the 100th birthday of a school I worked almost 20 years for) where I'm invited for.
I'm already working on a list of excuses that I could use to cancel my presence there.  :D

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 4:16 PM, blissfulbreeze said:

If someone IMs you in SL, do you:

Cam on them first to see if you want to reply

Cam and read their profile first

Totally ignore without further action 

IM them back without camming or seeing profile

Also, do you enjoy random civil IMs?

Depending on the vibe they give me in their first message, I might respond to their IM.

If they just say "Hi" or "Hey", I will look at their profile before responding, but I will usually respond out of curiosity.

If they say something that I find creepy, a personal remark, I may respond with something equally as creepy before looking at their profile and seeing if my initial feeling about them is right or not.

I do however enjoy random civil IMs. They have often led to interesting friendships in Second Life. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

An introvert isn't necessarily a hermit. As Sid said, often we just need plenty of me alone time. 

When my phone rings I'm irritated, but I usually answer with a polite hello. Lately I'm checking the phone number first, because there are so many scammers, so if it's a weird number from out of state I might just hang up without even listening to their spiel.

Inworld, it's cam avatar, check profile, then decide if I engage further or not.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 5

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

When my phone rings I'm irritated, but I usually answer with a polite hello. Lately I'm checking the phone number first, because there are so many scammers, so if it's a weird number from out of state I might just hang up without even listening to their spiel.

Lately, I accept the call but just stay silent, waiting to see if some live person on the other end will say "uh....hello?" But 90% of the time, either the connection drops or I get roboscamspam. In these cases, I Block that number.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Lately, I accept the call but just stay silent, waiting to see if some live person on the other end will say "uh....hello?" But 90% of the time, either the connection drops or I get roboscamspam. In these cases, I Block that number.

If there's a silence, then a "bloop" I know it's a robocall so I hang up. But I am answering a little more often lately.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Most of the time the ringer on my house phone is switched off. For 40 hours every week I'm working the day job and can't have a phone ringing in the background and couldn't answer it even if it did. For another 10-15 I'm either recording, rehearsing, practicing or performing and same rules apply. Then add in the times when I just don't want to deal with anyone, it's my hermit-mode wind-down time,  dammit. The only company I want in those times is silence and my glass of whiskey.

Most folks that know me know the best way to reach me is to text me and if its a good time to talk I'll call them right then, otherwise I'll text 'em back saying roughly when to expect my call.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

An introvert isn't necessarily a hermit. As Sid said, often we just need plenty of me alone time. 

Inworld, it's cam avatar, check profile, then decide if I engage further or not.

You're a brave introvert, answering those calls. :)  Most of my introvert friends let everything go to voicemail, and stand amazed when their extrovert friends pick up the phone on the first ring without even checking to see if they know the number! (Imagine!)

You are correct, and I was partially quipping to Sid, and speaking in broad strokes. Introverts aren't necessarily hermits, and introversion doesn't equal shy or social anxiety. Yes, we need our down times. (I'm also something called a "highly sensitive person" which just amplifies that. HSPs are a real thing, which I didn't know for a long time, thinking it was just another excuse people say to be whining. It isn't. It is an actual physiological thing found in about 15% of animal species tested.)

Similarly, extrovert doesn't mean non-stop party-people, either. They also need their down times, and can be downright misanthropic at times.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.