Stockings, nylons, pantyhose.. what are the options?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For regular sheer stockings, I know there are 1) BOM stockings which are simply worn as a texture and are transferred over to BOM enabled mesh legs, 2) applier stockings which are applied to mesh legs with an applier hud, and 3) mesh stockings which are simply worn over mesh legs.

My problem is... which are the best to use? Looking for just plain black sheer stockings. Am I missing something obvious? Was there stockings that came with the Maitreya body? I have looked at some of the big stores and I didn't see any. I have seen good stockings but they seem oddly expensive. Are stockings just expensive? I guess I could buy them at the high price point. What do you wear or suggest to buy? I'd prefer regular mesh, non-bom, non-applier but open to those if they are the best option.

Applier layers might show alpha conflicts - such as when your hair doesn't show your clothing under it because the hair & clothing are both textured mesh and those textures both have alpha enabled. BOM would thus work better for lace. I never use applier layers anymore, except for makeup on my Lelutka heads. 

Mesh stockings seem best to me for thick stockings, those where one stocking might be sliding down more than the other, or those that can be retextured with a HUD.

There are plenty of inexpensive BOM or old system stockings out there. Try Izzy's, Sn@tch, or several lingerie stores that specialize in BOM layers. (Sorry, I don't remember the names.)

Look on MP too.  search on "stockings AND BOM"

older system pantyhose would be both a stocking and a panty layer. A tattoo layer could be a single item though.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2

Erratic's products are what I know the best, and yeah a lil' expensive for what it is, but not ludicrous.

Bom/Applier are fine for plain sheer, but you really need something with better texture density for fishnets.

ETA: A major difference between BOM/Applier and mesh is toenails, and the top rim. BOM won't always look exactly right at the top of a "sock" because mesh bodies don't always conform 100% to the LL UV map. Appliers made for a specific body shouldn't have that problem, but may or may not cover toenails (I've never  really used appliers) If your toes and the tops of your legs are covered by something, and you don't need/want any particularly interesting texture to your stockings/nylons; a simple transparent BOM sock layer is almost trivial to make yourself.

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 3

Best is hard to answer, as it's all preference. For mesh, a lot will depend on getting something with a HUD and very flexible options - otherwise you're left having to find shoes to wear them with, and all that fun stuff. Pants/skirts/shorts, too, if you're going to be wearing full mesh tights or pantyhose (with a waistband).

I personally swear by mesh stockings/pantyhose/tights, and it's all I'll wear, but some people prefer BOM to completely avoid having to play mix/match with clothes all the time.

The absolute best store I've ever found (and they do all three - mesh, BOM, and applier in numerous styles) is Style. With their mesh versions, you'll generally get flat/medium/and high foot heights, materials enabled and leg lights (because of course you need leg lights! - they're kinda fab not gonna lie), a HUD with waistband height options (mid/full height), dress/undress states, alpha options to help fit under clothing, on/off sock options for shoes, a full color HUD + custom tinting, a wet option if you happen to find yourself standing in the rain somewhere, and they're so ridiculously pretty and well-made. Their group is free to join and there are about 4 group gifts in case you want to give them a test run - all very nice!

They're...also apparently animated, as I'm standing here right now doing an unflattering wiggle dance simulating pulling the things up... 😂 How have I never seen that before?!

Edit: I should mention that mine all seem to be for Maitreya. I'm not sure if they do any other bodies, but it's worth a peek.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 3

ROULY has some good mesh stockings and tights. You buy the base mesh, and then after that you choose from a selection of HUDs to get fishnet or sheer stockings or pantyhose in a variety of styles. They support a range of bodies, so you aren't just limited to Maitreya, and they include different foot heights.

Other than that, I really like Muse for stockings, which again support more than just one body. I have so many from there.

If you want to go BOM check out Nylon Outfitters.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

For regular sheer stockings, I know there are 1) BOM stockings which are simply worn as a texture and are transferred over to BOM enabled mesh legs, 2) applier stockings which are applied to mesh legs with an applier hud, and 3) mesh stockings which are simply worn over mesh legs.

My problem is... which are the best to use? Looking for just plain black sheer stockings. Am I missing something obvious? Was there stockings that came with the Maitreya body? I have looked at some of the big stores and I didn't see any. I have seen good stockings but they seem oddly expensive. Are stockings just expensive? I guess I could buy them at the high price point. What do you wear or suggest to buy? I'd prefer regular mesh, non-bom, non-applier but open to those if they are the best option.

Personally I prefer BOM for stockings because they fit as close as you can get and they don't alpha-glitch with anything else like appliers do.

The problem with mesh ones (apart from the price) is that you will struggle to find shoes to wear with them, beause at least some part of the mesh will clip through. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

It is BoM lingerie included with the Maitreya body. This is black and very good quality from Zaara. Look for a box in the folder. I believe the BoM layers are boxed, not separate in the body folder when you unpack. It should be stockings there, I do not remember if they are stay-ups or garters. Maybe both.

I use closed toes or shoes with stockings.

It is toecaps included for Maitreya when you buy the body, but since I never needed them, I did not investigate how to use them. Probably only by adding them.

It's fast and easy to simply turn off the nails, and I do not see much difference if I wanted to use them in peep toe pumps.

Examples_BoMPieces1.jpg

Maitreya blog: https://sl-maitreya.blogspot.com/p/what-is-bom-bakes-on-mesh.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great suggestions! I've found that the avatar I want to buy stockings for isn't able to use BOM which is too bad since that seems like it would have the least problems with other clothing. Feel free to add any more stores that have stockings of any type. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ze Helix said:

Which body are you looking for? I'm curious since all of the mainstream bodies can use BoM. With a niche body you may be limited to applier stockings, possibly omega if they use that.

It's Maitreya but using an old applier skin. Maybe the skin has been updated for bom. I'll have to double check.

• Like 1

The only time I wear stockings is with a dress or skirt or shorts..

The ones I really like are mesh from SERAPH. Unfortunately  they only make them for Maitreya, so I'm out of luck if I wear another body.. But They really are nice and wish I could find more like them for other bodies.. Not that I've looked that hard lately.

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2022 at 1:02 AM, Stephanie Lovely said:

ROULY has some good mesh stockings and tights. You buy the base mesh, and then after that you choose from a selection of HUDs to get fishnet or sheer stockings or pantyhose in a variety of styles. They support a range of bodies, so you aren't just limited to Maitreya, and they include different foot heights.

Other than that, I really like Muse for stockings, which again support more than just one body. I have so many from there.

If you want to go BOM check out Nylon Outfitters.

I like those a lot to but they do clip on the feet on Maitreya and legacy at the suggested sizes. A lot of places do (except the ones I make). It's frustrating.  I wish Rouly would fix it on both those bodies, Maitreya more since most of my clothing is there. I know it can be fixed, I know with my very life it can. I've made stockings that fit perfectly, no clipping and work with all the other heels creators' stuff in SL, or at least about 14 places I buy from.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.