Biggest problem with virtual worlds?

Syn Enyo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 7/21/2022 at 1:19 AM, Syn Enyo said:

I was wondering what your biggest problem in the virtual world space and/or gaming? How does it effect you? How often? How do you currently solve your problem or work around it?

My motherboard failed. It affected me by stopping working. It happened three times til the warranty ran out. I fixed my problem by getting a new custom rig now I am a PC gaming god. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

biggest problem, .. people using alt try to pretend act like you, to deceive community and damage your relation inworld. I have no problem with people alt or what they want to represent themself since idfc with appearance of avatar or rl. but mindgames and tricking is suk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

THOTS

I swear I had to look this up in the urban dictionary.

On 7/20/2022 at 10:19 AM, Syn Enyo said:

I was wondering what your biggest problem in the virtual world space and/or gaming? How does it effect you? How often? How do you currently solve your problem or work around it?

This is a little too open ended. Are we talking about virtual worlds in general? SL in particular? Features of the world itself or it's inhabitants? Financial issues? Governance issues? Management issues? (head explodes)

Given that SL is an opt-in recreation for me, I would say that I have no "real" problems, just annoyances. Some annoyances are addressed by deploying countermeasures (e.g. walls, ARs) and some we just have to accept that we have no control over.

One thing is for sure. Nothing lasts. So one problem we will all face is where to go next and what happens to our stuff.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 2

Virtual being deviod of inhibition and consequence will bring out the worst in some , resulting in the rest contemplating the same as if in retaliation .

Ultimately familiarity breeds contempt and everyone becomes inured to it , like those who were born into war grow to witness the horrors of it with a shrug of indifference .

Worse still is that those who have no real life experience of much at all seem to take pride in their virtual indifference and ridicule those who dare to care .

It can build self confidence or destroy it same as facebook or any other online platform that brings strangers together .

Edited by cunomar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, the anonymity does sometimes bring out the worst if folks, but that applies to a lot of the internet in general, not just virtual worlds.

There is also the problem that to really get the best look & performance of the world, you do have to have a pretty decent computer.  

Though my biggest problem in SL is inventory.  It seems to just sort of grown on its own, every time I blink.  

• Like 3

Biggest problem with virtual worlds? Users. And it's all boiled down into some microcosm mix anonymity into the soup and you have a hell of a meal...

Like Sartre put it once so nicely: "Hell is other people!"

So yeah XD 

Edited by Gwin LeShelle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Biggest problem with virtual worlds? Users. And it's all boiled down into some microcosm mix anonymity into the soup and you have a hell of a meal...

Like Sartre put it once so nicely: "Hell is other people!"

So yeah XD 

I thought Solent Green was people. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

the first wrong with virtual worlds is that is only a few people acknowledge that I am like the monarch of all the worlds

the second thing is that I dunno exactly where these few people like live in my royal domain. So when I go on my annual Royal Progress I dunno where to stop and rest and have them pay for everything, like loyal subjects are supposed too  

😺

• Haha 8

47 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

the first wrong with virtual worlds is that is only a few people acknowledge that I am like the monarch of all the worlds

the second thing is that I dunno exactly where these few people like live in my royal domain. So when I go on my annual Royal Progress I dunno where to stop and rest and have them pay for everything, like loyal subjects are supposed too  

😺

It's ok, Your Royal HIGHness. Nothing ever goes to waste while you're stumbling around wondering where all the whiskey is. There's never any room at the inn anyway. It's always booked years in advanced.

Although it is a bit of a shame you keep missing the wonderful parades and balls since they are, you know, sort of held in your honor. Kind of. Maybe.

What was the question again?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Space Zehetbauer said:

The biggest problem?

Real worlders - and their fake holier than thou morality garbage.

Seriously... its a FANTASY WORLD!

It's ok, I feel better now.

Thanks for playing everyone...

🙂

Even worse are those people who say, "But it isn't real," when actually it kind of is real. 

We're not stupid or delusional. We know it's a cartoon world. But it's packed full of real people behind all these avatars. Our interactions with others here is not some mass delusion. We know people are not the same in RL as their avatars appear in SL, but we also know they have the same thoughts and feelings regardless of whether we're talking with them in SL or in RL. Some people in here are fake, but I'd bet most of them express their real thoughts and feelings. 

We know our SL homes are not "real" in the same sense that our RL homes are, but they are still an oasis for us that reflects our personality and aesthetic.

SL is just as real as any work of art, but it's immersive and captivating in a way that other art forms can't be.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 4

There you go you see , SL is home to far too many obscenely fat 50 year old virgins who are still spoon fed by their mothers that don't believe humans are involved in their shared fantasy world . Of course this statement will not upset anyone because nothing is real and its all just fantasy 🤣

No pixels were killed i the making of this production .

Edited by cunomar
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, cunomar said:

There you go you see , SL is home to far too many obscenely fat 50 year old virgins who are still spoon fed by their mothers that don't believe humans are involved in their shared fantasy world . Of course this statement will not upset anyone because nothing is real and its all just fantasy 🤣

No pixels were killed i the making of this production .

Thems 50 yo's be angry atchoo in their basement rooms of their parents' homes!

23 hours ago, cunomar said:

Virtual being deviod of inhibition and consequence will bring out the worst in some , resulting in the rest contemplating the same as if in retaliation .

Oh yes, that's by far the biggest problem but, as LittleMe said, this is a general internet issue and virtual realities tend to be not nearly as bad as some social media (no names mentioned).

To me the biggest virtual world problem is the lack of space. Continuous space that is. I want to travel across and explore a rich, varied landscape where I can see for miles and miles and miles and... I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Maybe some day I will nut it won't be in Second Life.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 5

On 7/22/2022 at 7:53 AM, ChinRey said:

To me the biggest virtual world problem is the lack of space. Continuous space that is. I want to travel across and explore a rich, varied landscape where I can see for miles and miles and miles and... I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Maybe some day I will nut it won't be in Second Life.

I share your dream, ChinRey, but you probably already know that.

Maybe some day, there'll be a continent of protected land available on the grid, with miles and miles of gorgeous wildernis. Just for recreation.

(On a side note: watch Keith Moon play the drums in this particular music video. There's no doubt in my mind that the Muppet Show's drummer character Animal was based entirely on him.)

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.