What Would Make Items Mysteriously Disappear From My Land?

BobCates

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a premium member.  With the space and prims allowable, I have a building (not one that came with premium membership) and items in the building.

When trying to go the the building, the building was gone as in disappeared.  The building as well as a couple of other objects. 

The building wasn't owned by me as it was owned by a landlord when I was renting his land and building before I bought the land from him. I was able to recover by just buying the same building on my own and rezzing that.

I thought maybe he decided to delete the building and as a result, the building was gone.  But that wouldn't explain why also a couple of items that I own also disappeared.

Is items mysteriously disappearing from land a common thing?  What would make this happen?

Thanks in advance.

If you rezzed the building from your inventory, and you own the land, they couldn't delete the building..

If you are on a private sim and have a section of land on their sim, the sim owner could return your things to your inventory, because they are the true land owners and only sell owners rights to their land..

You could try looking in your inventory under your, lost and found or your objects folder to see if they are there.. If they did return your items, the icon in your inventory will look like a cluster of cubes instead of a single cube and named object.

That might be the case, but just guessing at the moment.

• Like 3

First up .. are you sure it's gone - TP away and back again, if its still gone .. 

Check your lost and found folder for the items owned by you, if you find them there, they got returned.

This can happen for various reasons, encroachment and acceptable content are the two main ones.

If your stuff spills outside your parcel's boundaries then it's fair game to be reported and sent back, just like coloring books, stay inside the lines.

Acceptable content is another reason, was your stuff above the land rating (eg adult content on G rated land) or against the ToS in some regard (broadly offensive stuff doesn't get to hang around).

Were you using a temp rezzor to try and cheese in more stuff than the parcel allowed ?

• Like 2

The copy of the building which the previous landlord owned - that one is easy to explain.  When you bought the land, at some point the landlord got "their building" back (since they were the owner).  This assumes the building did not have "transfer rights".

The items in the building which you owned are a little harder to explain.  Sometimes, when a building is removed, the items can "stay behind" but are difficult to see or find. They can sometimes be obscured by, or be behind something else. For example, if you did buy another copy of the building and rez that out in a similar spot, you may be covering the "lost" items with your copy of the building.

If you did not have a lot of other objects on the land, this would not be too hard: There is a way to use the land management screen in the viewer to list all of the items "owned by you".  If you knew what those "lost" items were called, you could then find them in the list, and (I believe) return them to yourself from that same land management screen.

Would you recognize the names of the items? If so, you might try Build / Pathfinding / Region Objects and see if they're still around somewhere. (This uses sim information directly, not limited to whatever the viewer is rezzing.)

You may notice items on that list that don't belong to you. Those may be set in the Build Tool (object editor) to allow Anyone to Move, in which case they may be, well, moved. You mention Premium, which suggests this may be Mainland, in which case they may have moved into another region, which would complicate the search.

Things are okay now as mentioned, I ended up buying the same building that had disappeared.  The other couple of things that were missing, I had a copy in my inventory so just re-rezzed them.

I knew that building had truly disappeared as I have a basic prim counter and that showed the lower amount with the building gone. 

Auto return can account from some maybe.  If after you bought the land, and you changed the land group to your own personal liking. if you turned on auto return even for a moment, the building would possibly have been sent back the owner. your own personal items shouldn't' have been unless perhaps they had been deeded to a different land group, at which point you'd have gotten an alter they'd got to lost+fouind...?  jsut something to add to the deduction process.

Over the years, I have had things, e.g., furniture, disappear from my home. The owner was a roommate who had left SL I know he didn't delete or take them, because he didn't logon. I know I didn't return it, and no one else had the power. It just vanished. I don't know the explanation.

I have also been alarmed several times when large parts of my house appeared to be gone; I relogged, and there they were just as they should be.

If I had the OP's problem, I would relog, and, if that didn't help, restart the computer and login on a different viewer for good measure.

Edited by Jennifer Boyle

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Gnomes?

Oh no 😬 I HATE gnomes...I actually think one got into my home over the weekend and damaged something...

I don't see why we should put out offerings just to be left in peace 😠 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Over the years, I have had things, e.g., furniture, disappear from my home. The owner was a roommate who had left SL I know he didn't delete or take them, because he didn't logon. I know I didn't return it, and no one else had the power. It just vanished. I don't know the explanation.

I have also been alarmed several times when large parts of my house appeared to be gone; I relogged, and there they were just as they should be.

Yes, both of this things do happen. Items can simply disappear from the land and sometimes, especially on heavy sims, objects fail to render until you relog. And sometimes returned objects never turn up in Lost and Found.

All of these occurences are extremely rare but realistically, considering the amount of data a simulator has to handle over such a long time, I suppose it's inevitable that some of it gets lost or corrupted every now and then.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, BobCates said:

I'm a premium member.  With the space and prims allowable, I have a building (not one that came with premium membership) and items in the building.

When trying to go the the building, the building was gone as in disappeared.  The building as well as a couple of other objects. 

The building wasn't owned by me as it was owned by a landlord when I was renting his land and building before I bought the land from him. I was able to recover by just buying the same building on my own and rezzing that.

I thought maybe he decided to delete the building and as a result, the building was gone.  But that wouldn't explain why also a couple of items that I own also disappeared.

Is items mysteriously disappearing from land a common thing?  What would make this happen?

Thanks in advance.

The most likely explanation is that the items which disappeared were set to a different land group than the one you have currently got set, so they got auto-returned.

Having things go to your lost and found is not 100% reliable, especially with "conglomerated" objects (when several things are returned together). I've been notified of stuff being auto-returned that never returned, no matter how many times I re-logged or used different viewers. Fortunately it was all "copy". 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Happened again.  Office building a couple other things poofed and now in my Lost and found folder.

I tried doing a 'restore to last positon" but get a message about no build rights or something.  Though I own the land.

I turned off the disallow rezzing on land and try again, but still get same error message.

Guess I can manually rez and reposition the stuff again. But will be a pain to do.

4 hours ago, BobCates said:

I tried doing a 'restore to last positon" but get a message about no build rights or something.  Though I own the land.

Guess I can manually rez and reposition the stuff again. But will be a pain to do.

Restore to last position will only work if you have rez rights at 0,0,0 in a region 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BobCates said:

Thanks for info.  Who would have rights there? The sim owner?

Presumably .. it might also be owned by a tenant.

Keep in mind in that rez at last position is a long depreciated hack and one of the few things that can actually result in unrecoverable inventory loss.

18 minutes ago, BobCates said:

Thanks for info.  Who would have rights there? The sim owner?

Anyone can have rights there, a region owner, a parcel owner or an individual who is allowed to rez via group or the land is set so anyone can build. I wouldn't recommend it on no copy items, as Coffee said as you can permanently lose items. Happening to be on a 0,0,0 corner plot on mainland i have successfully used the feature many times when i have accidentally deleted items

5 hours ago, BobCates said:

Happened again.  Office building a couple other things poofed and now in my Lost and found folder.

I turned off the disallow rezzing on land and try again, but still get same error message.

Could it be someone in a group for the land having rights to return items?

8 hours ago, BobCates said:

I tried doing a 'restore to last positon" but get a message about no build rights or something.  Though I own the land.I turned off the disallow rezzing on land and try again, but still get same error message.

Have you deeded the land to a land group, or are you the owner of the land?  Auto Return will return objects that are not in the land group even when you are the owner.  Turn off auto return or set the time to zero.  And make sure every object you have rezzed is in the land group.  If you don't have your land deeded to your land group, then you must be the object's owner.  So far you have not told us what your land configuration actually is.

Rezzing an object onto a mesh object such as a mesh rug, or floor or furniture,  often causes the object to land off your land, which also can cause it to go to your Lost and Found.  It's likely the parcel it landed has no objects allowed for non group objects checked and auto-return activated.  The solution is to rezz directly on the land (not mesh land) or on a prim.  Prim rugs, or just a flat prim covering your floors and made invisible works fine.  First thing I do after rezzing a mesh home is cover the floor with a prim. 

When a prior rezzed object that has been there for days is suddenly missing, that's a CDN/cache issue.  Relogging forces the CDN to send you your assets again.  If you log in an alt, your alt will see the object when you will still not.  Last night, my off sim lighthouse first turned off it's light beacon.  So I TPed to another region and returned.  Now the entire lighthouse was missing.  A relog brought back the lighthouse and the light.  This is rather commonplace in SL.  Consider it a feature... fewer objects on your land means less lag for you.

:)

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.