Premium Plus Price already changed?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The all-new Premium Plus is available for $29.99 per month and $249 per year with a special limited time promotional price of $24.99 per month. Not ready for Premium Plus? You can still continue to enjoy our existing Premium offering, which is available for $11.99 per month and $99 per year. 

image.png.bb50b4b9fe1f49ba7f5ef40c2747f16f.png

It has barely even been a day since this was announced, I just checked the pricing and it's now 29.99 USD/mo as 'promotional' price instead of stated 24.99?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Extrude Ragu said:

image.png.bb50b4b9fe1f49ba7f5ef40c2747f16f.png

It has barely even been a day since this was announced, I just checked the pricing and it's now 29.99 USD/mo as 'promotional' price instead of stated 24.99?

Are you in a location where VAT or Taxes might apply?  Those are probably the amounts with the VAT/TAX added. 
You'll notice there is no upcharge on the Yearly for either regular Premium or Premium Plus -- because VAT does not apply to the Yearly plans.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Are you in a location where VAT or Taxes might apply?  Those are probably the amounts with the VAT/TAX added. 
You'll notice there is no upcharge on the Yearly for either regular Premium or Premium Plus -- because VAT does not apply to the Yearly plans.

Then one would think it should say that "Vat has been applied" rather than "may apply" Truth in advertising and all that.

• Like 4

I have a debate going with a friend.  What type of math is everyone doing?
As of today, L$650 = $4.19USD.  $4.19 x 52 = $217.88USD. This is what you'd be getting back by the end of the year, assuming the exchange rate doesn't change much.
But my friend is doing the math based on linden dollars, which comes out far different.

BTW - L$2600 = $12.28USD, not $11.00.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Then one would think it should say that "Vat has been applied" rather than "may apply" Truth in advertising and all that.

I agree. The fact that the price seems to have taxes applied already means that when it is applied it should say VAT or GST included or nothing at all.

In fact, it is tax law in Australia that if GST is already applied to the amount, then you are not to show afterwards a statement that may cause consumer confusion or mislead. Linden Lab applying GST to the figure and then afterwards stating that 'Local taxes may apply' is confusing and misleading.

This applies to international businesses that are required to charge GST as Linden Lab is. Not doing so means that they can be fined by the ACCC. 

Quoted from the ACCC ACCC warns service sector | ACCC:

"Businesses must remember that where a price is quoted, it must be clear to the consumer exactly how much he or she will be expected to pay...Prices displayed or quoted to the general public should include GST. Simply stating that 10 per cent GST will be added to the price at time of payment may mislead consumers."

"Penalties for breaches of this part of the Act range up to $200,000 for businesses and $40,000 for individuals, per offence. In addition to monetary penalties, the Court can impose injunctions and order corrective advertising."

48 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Are you sure? Look carefully under the yearly figure stated, it clearly states "Local taxes may apply". This is not stated on the old premium plan but clearly on the new plan. This is why there is confusion. Linden Lab need to confirm which is which. If the monthly includes local taxes then the "local taxes may apply" needs to be removed. If it doesnt include local taxes then the yearly figure needs to have "local taxes may apply" removed and the figure for monthly altered to not include taxes.

Cant have that statement on both as it is misleading, confusing and illegal. I dont know which Linden to tag on my post for this clear illegal statement (well in Aus anyway) to be corrected otherwise I would.

• Like 3

@JudiLynn India

650L x 52 weeks = 33800L. 33800L = $150.24

The 33800 @ 150.24 does include a transaction fee of $9.99

Your calculation would include a transaction fee of 1.49 per week to come to $4.19.

From the LL upgrade info... 

Weekly stipend to use any way you like (approx. $11 cash value every month)

Edited by Rowan Amore
Added info
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Drayke Newall said:

I agree. The fact that the price seems to have taxes applied already means that when it is applied it should say VAT or GST included or nothing at all.

In fact, it is tax law in Australia that if GST is already applied to the amount, then you are not to show afterwards a statement that may cause consumer confusion or mislead. Linden Lab applying GST to the figure and then afterwards stating that 'Local taxes may apply' is confusing and misleading.

This applies to international businesses that are required to charge GST as Linden Lab is. Not doing so means that they can be fined by the ACCC. 

Quoted from the ACCC ACCC warns service sector | ACCC:

"Businesses must remember that where a price is quoted, it must be clear to the consumer exactly how much he or she will be expected to pay...Prices displayed or quoted to the general public should include GST. Simply stating that 10 per cent GST will be added to the price at time of payment may mislead consumers."

"Penalties for breaches of this part of the Act range up to $200,000 for businesses and $40,000 for individuals, per offence. In addition to monetary penalties, the Court can impose injunctions and order corrective advertising."

Are you sure? Look carefully under the yearly figure stated, it clearly states "Local taxes may apply". This is not stated on the old premium plan but clearly on the new plan. This is why there is confusion. Linden Lab need to confirm which is which. If the monthly includes local taxes then the "local taxes may apply" needs to be removed. If it doesnt include local taxes then the yearly figure needs to have "local taxes may apply" removed and the figure for monthly altered to not include taxes.

Cant have that statement on both as it is misleading, confusing and illegal. I dont know which Linden to tag on my post for this clear illegal statement (well in Aus anyway) to be corrected otherwise I would.

1701861342_Premium.thumb.png.dbf22393071adba75bcfd488d65d84b5.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fiona Nova said:

1701861342_Premium.thumb.png.dbf22393071adba75bcfd488d65d84b5.png

Where exactly is that shown on the advertising page posted above have shown? Did you read the ACCC article I posted outlining the laws in Australia governing advertising prices? I'm guessing based on your response you didn't.

"Not including the GST component means that consumers only receive part of the price information. Failing to make the total price to be paid clear in advertisements is likely to mislead consumers and breach the Trade Practices Act 1974.

Businesses must remember that where a price is quoted, it must be clear to the consumer exactly how much he or she will be expected to pay."

No where does it say in the article, Trade Practices Act or any other legislation 'Invoices' of which you have shown as advertisements or quotes. It clearly states quotes and advertisements (defined separately from invoices) which is what the images posted before yours are. They are quotes or advertisements prior to showing an Invoice which has separate clauses in the legislation.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

Where exactly is that shown on the advertising page posted above have shown? Did you read the ACCC article I posted outlining the laws in Australia governing advertising prices? I'm guessing based on your response you didn't.

"Not including the GST component means that consumers only receive part of the price information. Failing to make the total price to be paid clear in advertisements is likely to mislead consumers and breach the Trade Practices Act 1974.

Businesses must remember that where a price is quoted, it must be clear to the consumer exactly how much he or she will be expected to pay."

No where does it say in the article, Trade Practices Act or any other legislation Invoices of which you have shown. It clearly states quotes and advertisements that are what the images posted before yours are. They are quotes or advertisements prior to showing an Invoice which has separate clauses in the legislation.

I just wanted to express the price that has to be paid in Germany.

So keep calm.

And no, why should I read your Australian example? It's of no interest to me.

Edited by Fiona Nova
However
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drayke Newall said:
2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Local taxes IN THE US might apply, depending on your local.  So, for US folks, the price shown is without taxes.  Taxes are calculated by Tilia at checkout.

VAT is not charged on any Premium Annual subscription, but is charged on the Monthly and Quarterly subscriptions.  For EU and other countries that have VAT, my understanding is that the Monthly and Quarterly subscription prices shown will include the VAT -- which will be different for every country that has VAT.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fiona Nova said:

I just wanted to express which part of the price has to be paid in Germany.

So keep calm.

And no, why should I read your Australian example? It's of no interest to me.

Then why quote me?

16 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Local taxes IN THE US might apply, depending on your local.  

VAT is not charged on any Premium Annual subscription, but is charged on the Monthly and Quarterly subscriptions.

The below image which is a screengrab from my (Australian) account page shows a figure of $32.99 which includes $3.00 GST (10%) yet clearly shows, which I highlighted, 'Local taxes may apply'. It doesn't say 'local taxes in the US' at all. I am from Australia, there is no local tax just federal 10% GST nationally which is already applied. The Trade Practices Act specifically states that what they have shown (highlighted) is illegal and misleading.

Additionally and also highlighted is the $249.00/year subscription which also shows 'Local taxes may apply'. If as what you have said that yearly subscriptions do not have local taxes, then pray tell, why does it say 'Local taxes may apply'?

1949527829_Premiumfees.JPG.97fe5fe74946c9d4ce12b3dab78efd95.JPG

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

The below image which is a screengrab from my (Australian) account page shows a figure of $32.99 which includes $3.00 GST (10%) yet clearly shows, which I highlighted, 'Local taxes may apply'. I am from Australia, there is no local tax just federal 10% GST nationally which is already applied. The Trade Practices Act specifically states that what they have shown (highlighted) is illegal.

Additionally and also highlighted is the $249.00/year subscription which also shows 'Local taxes may apply'. If as what you have said that yearly subscriptions do not have local taxes, then pray tell, why does it say 'Local taxes may apply'?

My guess is that they know the exact amount for VAT -- it is a fairly small list in the scheme of things -- and so the developers were able to properly calculate the prices and show them. 

But, since they are in the US and so many US folks think only of the US, they forgot that the "local taxes may apply" part will only apply to US folks (or maybe the developers weren't sure if other areas maybe also had local taxes and nobody caught it).  So they screwed up in putting that part on there for everyone.  That part should be removed for anyone outside the US --- because, yes it is very misleading.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.