NUX Avatar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm pretty sure this is a feature, not a bug.

Again, it's about finding that "sweet spot," providing something that will keep noobs happy long enough that they've decided they want to invest real money in their avatars.

Has LL achieved that? I'm honestly not sure.

If that's the case then I'm in agreement, job done.  However judging, yes judging from other comments made around this body there is a contingent that believes it will be a new base standard body to usher in a new age of compatibility for all avatars.  You only have to look at the reactions and responses I got when I gave some the 411 that the SL fashion world isn't going to touch this with a barge pole to see what I mean.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I haven't read this thread in a couple of weeks.. did I miss something new recently with the NUX avatars?

As active as this thread is right now, it sounds like I might have.. hehehe

They appeared briefly in inventories.

And then, like the Man of Your Dreams, glimpsed magically, briefly, and distantly across a crowded room . . . they vanished.

All things are full of weariness;
    a man cannot utter it;
the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
    nor the ear filled with hearing.
What has been is what will be,
    and what has been done is what will be done,
    and there is nothing new under the sun.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I haven't read this thread in a couple of weeks.. did I miss something new recently with the NUX avatars?

Yes, you missed the accidental pre-release, critique and subsequent yank of said release.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Gabriele Graves said:

However judging, yes judging from other comments made around this body there is a contingent that believes it will be a new base standard body to usher in a new age of compatibility for all avatars.

Yeah. Not a chance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

or leave it to the creator community to come up with something cool!  

Patch, a question came up while we were toying with the body in the short period when we could.

Will there be a pre-rigged DAE version of the bodies that developers will be able to download and modify? Perhaps we can solve issues like these by embracing the power of the community of makers, but also this may be a massive opportunity to provide a new 'starting point' for development.

I can see a lot of interesting opportunities for shops to make clothes for these bodies, or make compatible limb replacements, whether that be furry accessories, tiptoe feet, prosthetic arms, or whatever.

I also wonder if there are plans to make factory versions for differing body types, be that teens, muscle men, or what-have-you.

Edited by Honey Puddles
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

They appeared briefly in inventories.

And then, like the Man of Your Dreams, glimpsed magically, briefly, and distantly across a crowded room . . . they vanished.

All things are full of weariness;
    a man cannot utter it;
the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
    nor the ear filled with hearing.
What has been is what will be,
    and what has been done is what will be done,
    and there is nothing new under the sun.

Turn my head for one second and *POOF* Missed the ride.:(

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Dammit! \o/

I would have liked to have tried one..

So I take it they put the dev kits out then?

A couple posts ago, it was said that we can log into the Beta grid/Test grid, and they are in our inventories there. So it was said.

Look and see?

I read nuthin' about a dev kit release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Honey Puddles said:

Patch, a question came up while we were toying with the body in the short period when we could.

Will there be a pre-rigged DAE version of the bodies that developers will be able to download and modify? Perhaps we can solve issues like these by embracing the power of the community of makers, but also this may be a massive opportunity to provide a new 'starting point' for development.

I can see a lot of interesting opportunities for shops to make clothes for these bodies, or make compatible limb replacements, whether that be furry accessories, tiptoe feet, prosthetic arms, or whatever.

I also wonder if there are plans to make factory versions for differing body types, be that teens, muscle men, or what-have-you.

From my knowledge of other body creator kits, I would expect the mesh body to be part the LL body kit of that so that the rigging weights can be used and tested in programs like Blender.  That's probably why LL are wanting applications for the kit, so they know who has them if the body is re-uploaded and sold by anyone.

55 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Trouble is, the difference is what makes it so that we can be whatever we want to be in SL; the avatars' components are designed by users. Most video games with good character creation are nowhere near as diverse in the options we have. And if you have to go buy those components before you can add them to your avatar, it's hard to put them in a character editor (unless you want to make a really micro-transaction-looking interface where you'll have buttons to buy L$ to then directly buy mesh bodies and heads and hairs and stuff on the first screen a user sees).

42 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yup, and it's too far gone now to change, and that's seriously unfortunate. We'd lose so much money if it did.

Good points! And that's the tradeoff - we can do just about anything here while other systems do limit you (sort of...there ARE cat people n dragons n stuffs...). But maybe there can be two systems? Something basic aimed at newbies and casual avatar wearers and the one we have now where we can do ridiculous things like give our avatars visible spines...

Hmm...

Sure it would be overwhelming to make up for 20 years of neglect of both the inventory management and avatar creation/dressing UI's but that doesn't mean they could not fairly easily incorporate some features to compensate for some of the most time consuming and frustrating aspects of it.

• An undo/redo function allowing one to step back several clothing/attachment additions. Try Hair A, hmm maybe Hair B is better. Ok no, Hair A was better so click Undo (ctrl z) and it reverts to that hair without having to re search for that hair. 
  •  Update the inventory Icons to better reflect what an item is, like it used to be for the wearables. All attachments being an object icon is a major pita requiring one to read the name of each clothing item to be sure one chooses the right one.
  • A more graphically based Inventory UI like the Wardrobe app preferably web based but done in such a way that it is automatically linked rather than requiring the user to do that themselves. Requiring Creators to include pictures of the items.
  • Force mesh clothing uploads to attach to different attachment points rather than all to the left hand where an inadvertent double click strips everything off the avatar leaving them cold and naked in the middle of a club!

There are also some easily adopted Marketplace changes they could bring in that would streamline the process of demo'ing and then buying products from there. It does not require that all past content has to be updated but those that don't will simply be purchased less and less as residents start to shop from those creators that adopt the newer and more efficient processes.

Changes and features can be brought in that would have no effect on the wide range of products available and yet make Avatar creation and dressing quite a bit more efficient. The problem is the lack of motivation from the Lab to do anything for the residents that doesn't have a bearing on their land sales which is the bulk of their income after all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I logged in to the Beta Grid and I found all the Senra stuff was there. I tried the Jamie avatar and was disappointed as it was impossible to get near to my normal shape, which is slim and not very curvy.  As someone who still uses a classic system avatar, I was hoping that the NUX bodies would correspond very closely to whatever shape the underlying classic avatar has, but it's nowhere near, and can't even be adjusted to come anywhere near. Even on minimum settings the Jamie body has an enormous butt!

Maybe LL will release more NUX bodies. I will say that the NUX body has a smoother outline than the classic avatar, less jagged, it's just the overall shape is disappointing.

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

I logged in to the Beta Grid and I found all the Senra stuff was there. I tried the Jamie avatar and was disappointed as it was impossible to get near to my normal shape, which is slim and not very curvy.  As someone who still uses a classic system avatar, I was hoping that the NUX bodies would correspond very closely to whatever shape the underlying classic avatar has, but it's nowhere near, and can't even be adjusted to come anywhere near. Even on minimum settings the Jamie body has an enormous butt!

Maybe LL will release more NUX bodies. I will say that the NUX body has a smoother outline than the classic avatar, less jagged, it's just the overall shape is disappointing.

This is what I'm seeing with Blake, too. What are we missing, that these avatars are so freakishly pudgy, even at minimum slider settings? I mean, in the demos they may not have been runway stars, but they didn't look this bad, did they? Trying the pre-made shapes, he really looks like a parody of the gamer stereotype: ample couch-bound padding from the ankles up but with teeny hands and feet, and little T.Rex arms. I was going to suggest a forums contest for pics of best in-shape Senra, but maybe not.

But anyway, yeah, they're in our Libraries on Aditi, at least for now.

(Goofing around I went to one of the PBR sandbox regions with the project viewer and painted glTF materials on Blake—chainmail that I picked up god knows where. It's weird to see those materials painted on top of the BOM skin. I wasn't sure what to expect and now I'm not sure what to make of what I see. Jake must behave the same way, I just never bothered to try before.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Changes and features can be brought in that would have no effect on the wide range of products available and yet make Avatar creation and dressing quite a bit more efficient.

I agree that UI changes are definitely needed to improve the system and like Qie mentioned I thought they were doing something with the viewer and these bodies with the UI in mind. I am sure I heard something about better sliders adjustments, etc. Perhaps I heard wrong, though it would explain the shape issues people have said they are having.

That all said, it also comes down to just basics. For example, in Second Life to wear a mesh jacket it either has to be oversized to fit over the body to not have skin showing through when animated or use an alpha layer, the later being the preferred for better fit.

The problem is, that to achieve this a content creator needs to include with their jacket folder an alpha cut (and lets face it many dont). Now it may seem a simple thing but it not only adds unnecessary increase to the inventory with every outfit needing perhaps 5 different alpha layers but also adds complexity to an already complex avatar customisation system and that's, as mentioned, if an alpha cut is included with the clothing item.

Why hasn't some method been made for a creator that creates a mesh jacket to permanently link the alpha to the jacket so that when that jacket is worn it auto hides the relevant parts? This would not only improve inventory management and space but also mean that a new person (or existing user) doesn't need to worry about having to do that step.

There is so much unnecessary complexity in the avatar customisation system and for no reason. Some games have far more complex customisation systems but they dont feel complex as, the tedious things are done automatically.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I have done this in hundreds of other places outside of SL and it's never needed anything more than 2 minutes if you aren't the type of person to live in character creation (up to 2 hours if you are...just sayin'...).

Saturday Morning...

Activating Skyrim SE New Game Mode...

Entering Race Selection and character customisation screen...

Open command console, using INV console command to get UUID's of worn hessian gunnysack dress, using REMOVEITEM console command to get rid of gunnysack so I can ACTUALLY see what shape the chars body is, edit body shape, edit face, stare at face, reedit face, go and have breakfast, piop to corner shop, re-edit face, have mid morning snack, re-edit body, have lunch, re-edit face, mess with tattoos, have tea, use ADDITEM console command to add decent looking 3rd party custom outfit that doesn't look like hessian gunnysack, use EQUIPITEM console command to wear new outfit despite having no inv access yet due to new game start conditions, re-edit body shape so new outfit looks better, final tweaks to face, accept new character appearance and choose name, hit pause, have dinner, play Skyrim SE...

*cough*

7 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

(up to 2 hours if you are...just sayin'...)

Light weight...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

You do all know the Beta grid exists yes?

You do know that the majority of Secondlifers DON'T know the Beta Grid exists, and that many of those who do, have NO access to it, because LL broke the Beta Grid login system several times, years ago, and never fixed it, so even the kludge fix workaround login method doesn't work any more, and they can't be bothered applying in writing and trying to justify their need for access, in the hope that the Gods will hear their plea and grant access, yes ?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Fubar Linden: I'll just put the folders for the new SUX Fail-atars in the Library for everyone...

Management Linden: WTF have did you do! I can't believe what you just did! Get those out of there!

Power Users of the Foetid Inner Circle: Hahahaha too late, we've seen them and grabbed copies, hahaha now we're gonna destruction test them and comment on all the Epic Failure!

Management Linden: Oh crud...

Fubar Linden: Oooopsie!

All caught up now?

• Haha 3

So, Gogo from JuicyBomb posted some pictures of the NUX avatar and the mole-made hairs and skins. Ooof. Now, I think with good skins (and there are freebies all over) you could make this cute. The nose is interesting and I think the wonkiness with the lips is skin-related. The clothes are very basic, tho. Let's hope some quality original mesh designers make a Welcome outfit for the newbies and not just the same, tacky template shops. 

https://juicybomb.com/2023/07/senra-jamie-second-life-nux-avatar/

• Thanks 1

This is Blake, with a few body shape tweeks.  I don't see a fat butt - the default shape settings usually suck though - first thing you do is adjust all the sliders.

There is no lip coloring included.  Blake looks like he has dark red lipstick on, and the hair styles will never pass in a biker bar.  The body looks ok to me, just needs some body hair BOM layer.

BlakeRear.thumb.jpg.c145fc632c43d71acb27d0091777c872.jpg

Blakefront.thumb.jpg.43060b5ef46966255e6d007d06c4ecb8.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

• A more graphically based Inventory UI like the Wardrobe app preferably web based but done in such a way that it is automatically linked rather than requiring the user to do that themselves. Requiring Creators to include pictures of the items.

That one epic fail of an idea alone is deserving of nothing but an automatic "Oh HELL NO" response.

I for one do not want to have to open a web browser, and load a damn web page just to change my shoes, OH HELL NO!

In addition, the RLV based Wardrobe app is one of the clunkiest and frankly worst inventory management and avatar dressing systems EVER devised by the mind of mankind.

If some people are just too damn stupid to use their inventory, that is NOT MY PROBLEM. Nor should it be made so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Has anyone tried putting other skins on these avatars? Do the old SLUV map skins (head and body) fit them?  Do Maitreya body skins fit on Jamie?

Do people have access to their inventories on the Beta grid? I tried to get on, but turns out I don't have access. 

I'd be interested if the old Second Life Standard Size mesh clothes fit the body at all. 

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.