So what do you all think to the Premium Plus package?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Somebody will want the feature.

But I thought of it first!!1!

We can't even get access to 'Premium user entry only' in the region console nor the ability to turn on sandbox mode where only copy objects are returned and everything else is deleted nor the ability to change chat ranges. All 3 settings exist and are accessible by LL only ATM... 🙄

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

What made me angry was Patch opening with how he's all about concurrency in a location and how awesome it is to have SO MANY people in one place.

There is nothing awesome about sitting in a crowd of 200 people in single digit FPS not moving, barely able to follow chat waiting for something, anything, to happen.

SL is not a spectator sport.

It's about personal participation.

Peek SL is 4 friends together, engaged and active.

This is the same "event's as a end in themselves" hill that Sansar crash and burnt on.

The Silicon Valley fascination with concurrency has always eluded me. There's Dunbar's number and so on, that you can't meaningfully interact

Consider this: Raglan Shire, a Mainland sim, with Art Walk, lots and lots of textures to upload. And on one main sim of theirs, a concert by Frogg and Jaycatt. About 40 people get on the sim but it's a completely comfortable event. No one is lagging. Lots of tinies have attachments. Everyone is dancing and having a good time. It's a small enough group that Frogg can greet you and play your favourite, and Jaycatt and ask you if you want to hear your favourite song of his again. People chat and see old friends they haven't seen, LTNS.

Contrast that with the SLB19 pre-recorded events where yes, they may have put 300 people on sims smushed up to make four corners (right? It's not one sim after all). So some of the stuff doesn't show and you lag and you can't see the chat of people on the other sims anyway even with extended chat (right?)

If it is a concert with thousands of people, you don't expect to chat with anyone more than the people you came with or a neighbour. If it's a small club with 40 people, you do expect to chat and not lag, and we don't any more as we might have in 2004.

The events with interactivity and small sizes are more meaningful than those with 300 let along 4000.

Robert Scoble gave a Twitter Talk recently about all these marvels in headsets and audio and virtual reality and touted the conference of 4000 people -- because of serendipity. So it's like Burning Man -- which is what these cosmic engineers have in mind when they get all obsessed with concurrency. You walk from area to area and marvel at all the creative builds and wacky people etc. 

But you can do that in SL by walking from sim to sim, even in Burn2, the SL replica of Burning Man (pagan ecstasy events where you go and take drugs and watch something being destroyed aren't my thing, but I have a good friend who is Ukrainian who thought Burning Man was really creative, maybe because he doesn't take drugs).

In any event, where Patch's point makes sense is with SHOPPING. He's talking about being able to go through a sim where there are also 100 or even 300 other people, and comfortable look at booths and click on vendors and buy things (often on a cam sim, you can't get the vendor to sell across the sim seam). So THAT is when concurrency matters -- everyone wants to get on Kustom9 or Equal10 when it opens, they put up cam sims which always feel degrading, and if they had one sim that could fit more people it would be nice.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

We can't even get access to 'Premium user entry only' in the region console nor the ability to turn on sandbox mode where only copy objects are returned and everything else is deleted nor the ability to change chat ranges. All 3 settings exist and are accessible by LL only ATM... 🙄

They've got God mode. We can't even get Jesus, Mary, or Joseph mode!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I follow a few blogs that will break it down into that :)

Inara has done a pretty good write-up, noting the spots in the video if you decide you want to listen to just parts of it:

https://modemworld.me/2022/06/21/sl19b-mtl-patch-linden-premium-plus-and-more-video/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Inara has done a pretty good write-up, noting the spots in the video if you decide you want to listen to just parts of it:

https://modemworld.me/2022/06/21/sl19b-mtl-patch-linden-premium-plus-and-more-video/

Last video I watched with Patch, I was surprised and disappointed because I forgot he didn't have a squeaky mouse voice.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Premium plus is GOH pay to win.

It guarantees that any new plots or themes that open up will be immediately gifted to the whales.

Thats already happening anyway with the exploit that is being used to switch houses between groups of the same people. Plus people with loads of accounts with premium anyway.  If this gives a few people a house they want then they deserve to have one.  The price of this will basically make it at least feasible for some people to obtain a house of choice.  The cost of it is so expensive enough to prohibit 20 accounts on the same person :)

Edited by Aria Aurelia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I would still have to spend on signs, photos for rentals that need to be constantly updated, various simple things in world like a giver -- which I wouldn't go and test on the beta grid every time -- so I think it will still be worth it. 

Just to clarify: I'm not trying to convince anybody not to upgrade to Plus. Even if it's not "worth it" I can absolutely see the virtue of never having to think about the cost of an upload, just as I'd love unlimited mobile data just so I never had to think about it (except in Canada, unlimited data is only for petroleum oligarchs).

Rather, I was merely suggesting that "Local Textures" is another way of playing with textures before uploading them, not involving the beta grid at all, and it's super handy. Even ignoring the cost of uploads it's worth using especially for any texture you expect to edit a few times. It's been in third party viewers for ages but is also in the Linden viewers now. Anyone who hasn't tried it, I don't think will be disappointed. Not sure where it's best documented but it's pretty intuitive to just play with it, so here's a picture from the current Linden viewer:

image.png.45ecf39ff55449682774bbac46d2f7ac.png

But this is a tangent because the feature wins, with or without Plus.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Yeah I'm not signing up for that.

That's...that's not improving, Linden Labs.

I can still get more lindens paying just $2.50 compared to the stipends.

Groups...whatever.

Message Cap...whatever.

Just for textures, but nothing else. Not impressed.

I really don't care whether it's $100L or $10L.

Yeah you're so not getting me for $30 a month for all of that. Pffft, how out of touch are you, LL? Very.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it would be a bit over $300 for the linden and property for a year, so in that regard it is pretty nice.  As far as my needs, having two premium accounts would offer everything I want from Premium plus, at a cheaper rate, if we were to include the difference in linden, I think it comes around to about being $38 a year more expensive for premium plus, which is probably worth it for people looking for the perks.

As is, my budget of SL is $99 a year, not including the tax.  PPlus, is out of my budget, so is having two Premium accounts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Just to clarify: I'm not trying to convince anybody not to upgrade to Plus. Even if it's not "worth it" I can absolutely see the virtue of never having to think about the cost of an upload, just as I'd love unlimited mobile data just so I never had to think about it (except in Canada, unlimited data is only for petroleum oligarchs).

Rather, I was merely suggesting that "Local Textures" is another way of playing with textures before uploading them, not involving the beta grid at all, and it's super handy. Even ignoring the cost of uploads it's worth using especially for any texture you expect to edit a few times. It's been in third party viewers for ages but is also in the Linden viewers now. Anyone who hasn't tried it, I don't think will be disappointed. Not sure where it's best documented but it's pretty intuitive to just play with it, so here's a picture from the current Linden viewer:

image.png.45ecf39ff55449682774bbac46d2f7ac.png

But this is a tangent because the feature wins, with or without Plus.

But that's on Firestorm. I do not wish to use Firestorm. It's not on the regular SL viewer which I wish to use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aria Aurelia said:

Thats already happening anyway with the exploit that is being used to switch houses between groups of the same people. Plus people with loads of accounts with premium anyway.  If this gives a few people a house they want then they deserve to have one.  The price of this will basically make it at least feasible for some people to obtain a house of choice.  The cost of it is so expensive enough to prohibit 20 accounts on the same person :)

Well, this is why the Lindens have to close off one obvious exploit hole -- if you pick a house under Premium Plus, you can't keep it if you downgrade to regular premium. That could slow down the flipping to the in-groups.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But that's on Firestorm. I do not wish to use Firestorm. It's not on the regular SL viewer which I wish to use.

It used to only be in some of the third party viewers, but it is in the SL Viewer now.  Give it a try.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I don't see LL giving L$3k to people upgrading from Premium.

Well I don't know who else they think is going to buy premium plus, it's certainly not going to appeal to basic account holders.  The people most likely to try it are the current premium accounts.

• Like 1

i read through 14 pages and came to a conclusion that most people find it too expensive, what i suggest won't change a thing, but to make it more appealing, that will be add-on-subscription, example like

$99 premium (up to 1024 linden home)

$199 premium + plus (everything double e.g. spendit 600, group 140, up to 2048 linden home)

$149 premium + creator (free upload etc)

$249 Premium + plus + creator (if you want everything)

• Like 12

Increased included tier, more stipend, extra groups for all those premium discounts that all need their own group to use...

Yeah, I think that's enough for the upgrade.

Another nice bonus, though it's very vague at this time, is reduced cost to change your name. I'm waiting to see if they *ever* add the last name I want but, if they do, I'd *really* like them to not ask me to pay $40 on top of premium for a name I've been waiting to see pop up.

The only annoying thing is I'm going to need to try and upgrade near my due date since there's no little box to click and say "Next time I pay charge me for Premium Plus."

Another benefit is the ability choose your Linden Home, I own mainland so I will probably *not* get a Linden Home, but with things like the "Rail access" homes where I'm twenty regions from the nearest rez area would be really nice to be able to pick one of the *many* empty homes in the areas near actual content in community areas.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 7:31 PM, Sandy Schnook said:

For me right now, it's a toss up.  I pay for 2048 plus I get the 1024 free right now, so dropping the extra 1024 would put me at no land tier.  I do upload a lot of textures, sometimes 500L worth for one HUD pack.  The real sell for me would be grandfathered stipend.  I currently get 500L, but if it was raised an extra 300 like it will be for non-grandfathered, that would cross the decision over to a Yes from me.

I agree about the Stipen being raised. I would get 150L more while others will get 350L more. If I got as much as they are I might do it. Should get some consideration for hanging in all these years, 16 years for me.

• Like 6

On 6/21/2022 at 9:16 AM, Jenna Huntsman said:

That was touched on during the announcement, there's no plans to change the current premium plans.

I do agree with the sentiment here though, the price is too high relative to the benefits to me. The free asset uploads are nice, but I feel like they're damaging to most users (we already have issues with 1024 textures getting slapped onto things, this just allows those with P+ to use EVEN MORE textures on their stuff!), and we already have a beta grid ("free" asset uploads there, great for testing stuff in-world).

The land tier increase is good, but not enough to offset the price hike.

Stipend increase - same as above.

Just wondering as I haven't tried again for ages, but is the beta grid working again? After a bug they had my login there got borked and they have been promising to fix the bug with it now for over a year.

• Like 1

Just not worth it. As others said, I get almost just as much for $50 less with 2 prem accounts now. Being a creator, the free uploads are a nice thought, but honestly not nearly enough to justify the extra an make me to want to change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.