What's wrong with not being human?

Exavor Diesel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have not had a human avatar in SL since about 2013. My current avatar is an eagle, simply because I am mostly flying around SL. I don't like walking or running about, takes far too long so I take to the skies and have a blast. Flying as a human looks odd to me, not to mention it involves lots of faffing about to make a half decent avatar.  I could go through my entire wardrobe in RL in the time it would take me to make a half decent human avatar on SL!

The problem is; Many simply don't accept the fact that I choose not to be a human. It's kinda a big deal for for many, it seems. I often hear comments such as "sorry, I don't talk to birds", or "you should get a human avi", "but why are you a bird?", sometimes I will even get banned from a region because of it! Obviously I am human behind the screen, so what's the big deal? Surely in today's world we should be accepting of others and their choices, as long as they're not hurting anyone else?

Would be good to hear from others and see their perspective

Edited by Exavor Diesel
  • Like 5
  • Sad 8

Can't speak for others but in my humble opinion there is nothing wrong at all about not having a human avatar. Heck, half the time I'm a furry, a faun, a pixie, a deer, a little old granny or a little gingerbread man. That doesn't even cover half of my different avatars. That's the beauty of SL.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hmm, I've never encountered that and I frequently run around as an anthro deer and a fox. I also have an orc, some mermaids (though swimming through the air is a bit strange, so I don't take them out toooo often unless I do a land variety), and a bunch of other fantasy avies. When I'm out and about, I frequently see furries, nekos, sometimes the occasional Tiny, anime avatars, demons...saw a version of Death roaming around somewhere. Otters. Other random cute things.

I think wearing an eagle would be kind of fun! Just keep doing you. You don't have to wear a human avatar if you don't want to.

Some places (clubs, especially) might have a human requirement, so it's worth checking if you want to go partying. There's so much you can do outside of that, though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Exavor Diesel said:

... so what's the big deal? Surely in today's world we should be accepting of others and their choices, as long as they're not hurting anyone else?

You are not doing anything wrong, but my guess is you 'break' their immersion  by your preferred choice of avatar. Also .. you can get banned for any reason, even the unjustifiable ones. And sometimes other creatures but human do not fit into the theme of the sim. As simple as that.

That choice of avatar remains however your choice, not theirs.  You should not worry about those people. Just enjoy your SL nonetheless. 

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Exavor Diesel said:

I have not had a human avatar in SL since about 2013. My current avatar is an eagle, simply because I am mostly flying around SL. I don't like walking or running about, takes far too long so I take to the skies and have a blast. Flying as a human looks odd to me, not to mention it involves lots of faffing about to make a half decent avatar.  I could go through my entire wardrobe in RL in the time it would take me to make a half decent human avatar on SL!

The problem is; Many simply don't accept the fact that I choose not to be a human. It's kinda a big deal for for many, it seems. I often hear comments such as "sorry, I don't talk to birds", or "you should get a human avi", "but why are you a bird?", sometimes I will even get banned from a region because of it! Obviously I am human behind the screen, so what's the big deal? Surely in today's world we should be accepting of others and their choices, as long as they're not hurting anyone else?

Read my sig. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Hmm, I've never encountered that and I frequently run around as an anthro deer and a fox. I also have an orc, some mermaids (though swimming through the air is a bit strange, so I don't take them out toooo often unless I do a land variety), and a bunch of other fantasy avies. When I'm out and about, I frequently see furries, nekos, sometimes the occasional Tiny, anime avatars, demons...saw a version of Death roaming around somewhere. Otters. Other random cute things.

I think wearing an eagle would be kind of fun! Just keep doing you. You don't have to wear a human avatar if you don't want to.

Some places (clubs, especially) might have a human requirement, so it's worth checking if you want to go partying. There's so much you can do outside of that, though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

^   I couldn't say it any better if I tried.   :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Exavor Diesel You seem to have the expectation that people will accept you as an eagle or whatever. Get real. Humans do not accept other humans. I mean zOMG you are RUSSIAN you're bad... Oh... you are STRAIGHT!?! Why?    Oh no... you are lesbian and you won't date a male that identifies as female!?!... how could you be so sexist?

Basically if one disagrees with the wrong group, says the wrong things, isn't PC enough, uses the wrong pronouns... then they should be canceled and put in jail.    ...and you thought being a non-human eagle in a 'game' would be ok ... with all the mental midgets running around in here...

I suppose it could be worse. You could be trying to figure out why Twitter employees are totally freaked out that Musk is planning to make Twitter an inclusive bastion of free speech for everyone. 🤔 And it is in SL that I find those that think they are progressive-liberals that are the least inclusive and most intolerant. So, I am not at all surprised you found some that think your being an eagle is odd and don't want to play with you.

RL does leak into SL. Now you have noticed. Hopefully you'll also notice those that think your being an eagle is pretty neat. But, ask yourself if you are wanting to make everyone conform to what you want so things can be as you want. We have a name for that behavior.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

Some people on SL take some things a bit seriously, and some are probably stuck on the "furry" stigma even for animal avatars. All you can do is just leave or ignore. No-one can dictate how you choose to live on SL. Some places do have rules(albeit some bend in favoritism i've noticed), so just be mindful of where you're at and what rules may be. Just because some are ba humbug doesn't mean everyone is. The negative ones just tend to be louder and demand attention.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CalypsoJewel said:

Some people on SL take some things a bit seriously, and some are probably stuck on the "furry" stigma even for animal avatars.

This was my first thought as well.  I've met/known a lot of people who view just about everything in SL through the lens of "adult" activities, and many of them were very creeped out by anyone with an avatar that was anything but "adult human".  🤨

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Speaking as someone who used a Anthro animal avi in Sl for years. These avatars carry a "baggage to them thanks to the baggage associated with "Furry"  for a good background look up the documentary on Furies done by Fredrik Knudsen on youtube  (i will like to his channel but not the video) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbWcXB0PoqOsAvAdfzWMf0w

Thanks to alot of the behaviors mention in the video and some things done by people using these avatars in SL your fighting a uphill battle against negative perception.

only thing i can say is you do you and be the positive example :)

• Like 3

It your SL... be whatever you want to be to the OP!  Personally I enjoy talking to people of walks of life, and this topic reminds me of conversation I had with VIP in IM in club I host at as outlined below.

VIP:  Hi, are you neko?

Seren: Yes, I am a neko; may I ask why you ask as just curious?

VIP: Oh.... I'm a dog; I best stay away from this club because you are a neko.

Few minutes later said VIP left; I was amused, I get it might be part of their RP but still was kinda funny to think that they couldn't stay in the club because on duty host is a neko.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/15/2022 at 8:34 AM, Exavor Diesel said:

Absolutely nothing wrong at all.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2022 at 1:07 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

@Exavor Diesel You seem to have the expectation that people will accept you as an eagle or whatever. Get real. Humans do not accept other humans. I mean zOMG you are RUSSIAN you're bad... Oh... you are STRAIGHT!?! Why?    Oh no... you are lesbian and you won't date a male that identifies as female!?!... how could you be so sexist?

Basically if one disagrees with the wrong group, says the wrong things, isn't PC enough, uses the wrong pronouns... then they should be canceled and put in jail.    ...and you thought being a non-human eagle in a 'game' would be ok ... with all the mental midgets running around in here...

I suppose it could be worse. You could be trying to figure out why Twitter employees are totally freaked out that Musk is planning to make Twitter an inclusive bastion of free speech for everyone. 🤔 And it is in SL that I find those that think they are progressive-liberals that are the least inclusive and most intolerant. So, I am not at all surprised you found some that think your being an eagle is odd and don't want to play with you.

RL does leak into SL. Now you have noticed. Hopefully you'll also notice those that think your being an eagle is pretty neat. But, ask yourself if you are wanting to make everyone conform to what you want so things can be as you want. We have a name for that behavior.

You couldn't help but try and wheel that TERF nonsense in a conversation about people wearing non-human avatars. Kindly shove it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

On 4/16/2022 at 6:07 AM, Nalates Urriah said:

I think this is the only time I have agreed with anything you've said.

Side note: REALLY hoping Musk does but Twitter.  I'm not on it, but watching the freakouts on YouTube - endless entertainment!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2022 at 4:34 PM, Exavor Diesel said:

I am human behind the screen, so what's the big deal? Surely in today's world we should be accepting of others and their choices, as long as they're not hurting anyone else?

So how come you're not accepting others and their choices to prefer human avi's/want only humans/ or some specific type of avatar on their region? No offence but as a bird you'll have to accept all that comes with being in your desired minority.

Edited by Raven Huntsman
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

To the OP, nothing at all wrong with being non-human.

While I have my main redhead mid-30s female avatar who runs my gallery and makes the art I sell, as well as a heavily cyberpunk-themed version of that woman, and a also a slightly creepy ball joint look, I also have avatars that are a deer, wolf, and a cheetah (all from TWI), as well as a super cute house cat. I actually prefer the animals these days because no guy hits me up for "adult fun" while I'm that house cat, for example, which saves me the awkward, "I'm a guy IRL" conversation.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

To the OP, nothing at all wrong with being non-human.

While I have my main redhead mid-30s female avatar who runs my gallery and makes the art I sell, as well as a heavily cyberpunk-themed version of that woman, and a also a slightly creepy ball joint look, I also have avatars that are a deer, wolf, and a cheetah (all from TWI), as well as a super cute house cat. I actually prefer the animals these days because no guy hits me up for "adult fun" while I'm that house cat, for example, which saves me the awkward, "I'm a guy IRL" conversation.

why dont you become a guy ?

just curious.. 

• Confused 1

Reading some recent posts, it seems to me that many get so upset with other people judgement and remarks. Maybe thanks to my Asperger’s most things fly totally over my head and couldn’t care less about some idiot telling me I should change into [insert here]. 
Be an eagle, an ogre, a swan or a flat chested woman, express yourself as you wish and be what makes YOU happy. If anyone annoys you block them and continue to enjoy your time in SL.

Some people don’t even warrant a response or your time to engage in an explanation. You don’t owe anything to anyone here, be yourself and use the block tools 🦅

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.