What's wrong with not being human?

Exavor Diesel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'll talk to anyone, but not in character.. I don't really talk to anyone as anything else but who's typing things up on my end.. If someone is in character, I'm still gonna just talk like I'm sitting at my desk chatting to someone else on the internet.

For some reason I just can't get drawn into the fantasy part of all this and see someone as their avatar, more than just know there is a human being on the other end..

Trust me when I say, I would love to be able to escape there too, but just can't seem to anymore, for some reason..

I think when life gets so busy time plays a big part in a lot of it really.

I'll still talk to anyone no matter their avatar and even talk about how well they did in creating it.. But seeing someone as a bird or a car or a cat.. It just never clicks with me anymore as them actually being that, I guess..

• Like 4

On 6/19/2022 at 7:10 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

I'll talk to anyone, but not in character.. I don't really talk to anyone as anything else but who's typing things up on my end.. If someone is in character, I'm still gonna just talk like I'm sitting at my desk chatting to someone else on the internet.

For some reason I just can't get drawn into the fantasy part of all this and see someone as their avatar, more than just know there is a human being on the other end..

Trust me when I say, I would love to be able to escape there too, but just can't seem to anymore, for some reason..

I think when life gets so busy time plays a big part in a lot of it really.

I'll still talk to anyone no matter their avatar and even talk about how well they did in creating it.. But seeing someone as a bird or a car or a cat.. It just never clicks with me anymore as them actually being that, I guess..

I have similar problems in conversations. How does one talk to an animal as an animal when it is more like a person in a costume?

On the other hand, I have a friend that has both male and female avatars. He does an interesting shift in how he talks when in either the female or male avatar. I find it easy to make the shift and treat him as female when he is playing in that mode.

Logically that he-as-she is not significantly different then he/she-as-eagle. But one I can work with and the other is a bigger challenge which I find it bit lame when they are an animal and start talking.

So while I don't mind them playing however they want to play, talking animals are not something I can relate to. So I am not going to be good at it.

An interesting aside... Amazon River has animal characters in their RP. But, no talking animals. Which makes sense to me.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 1

When I shapeshift to an animal or something I stay 100% in character. I don't speak at all. I act and react. Anybody who does not see the point of having fun being a non-human form does not belong in Second Life because they lack imagination and seem borring to me. Your world your imagination is the point after all. Too many people trying to ruin the fun of others.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 2:38 PM, Ziggy Starsmith said:

Too many people trying to ruin the fun of others.

nope, nobody can ruin your fantasy,

learn to ignore , the only thing that can ruin your fantasy if you caring about other people's thoughts.

in sl nobody can control others, thats why I feel it is funny if people feel or afraid being controle LoL. unless you let them penetrate your weak mind and mess your imagination.

I try help you,

when you at animal shape, block all incoming IM. and close your public chat. problem solved.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 2:38 PM, Ziggy Starsmith said:

When I shapeshift to an animal or something I stay 100% in character.

this...

animal cant understabd human language, if you still understand and rememver it you fail becomae100℅ animal.

lol

-----

ps:

there are no human can be 100℅ inchar

and i dont belives people said can separate ther rp mind with real. or someone said keep secret or any ***** claim. only people with 2 personality disorder can do that.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

• 4 weeks later...

When I'm in SL everything is how I see it in-world. I immerse as my version of me.

Besides the waste of space that are those mesh animal attachments if an actual animal avatar, such as a dog, sniffs me I may "/me pats his head and scratches behind his ears". If he talks I move along. Dogs don't talk in any universe I ever occupy. I'm not Miss Dolittle.

If a dog can be led along and taken for walkies with the occasional "woof" then that's fine.

When it comes to furries I just don't geddit. I'd never be one.

I talk to humans only, especially men who portray themselves as being older than your average 97.8% of fit and hunky types. Yes, fussy means less but I like and enjoy my own company.

• Like 1

I feel like the OP may have left off some important bit of context that everyone else is also ignoring but whatever. It's funny that there's no mention of where this might be happening.

There are lots of places that do themed roleplay and showing up out of theme is like wearing booty shorts to a formal dinner. Nothing wrong with booty shorts but they don't fit the setting and this makes the experience that people are trying to create together less enjoyable for them, even if you're having a great time in your booty shorts. Likewise, wearing formal attire to a party more suited to booty shorts would make you a bit of a buzzkill.

And there are definitely places in SL where humans are not allowed, for the same reason.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CandyCole said:

When I'm in SL everything is how I see it in-world. I immerse as my version of me.

Besides the waste of space that are those mesh animal attachments if an actual animal avatar, such as a dog, sniffs me I may "/me pats his head and scratches behind his ears". If he talks I move along. Dogs don't talk in any universe I ever occupy. I'm not Miss Dolittle.

If a dog can be led along and taken for walkies with the occasional "woof" then that's fine.

I talk to humans only, especially men who portray themselves as being older than your average 97.8% of fit and hunky types. Yes, fussy means less but I like and enjoy my own company.

Looks like i need to repeat myself... 

In a virtual world where you can be anything, you refuse to talk to anyone not human... How boring. And more than a bit xenophobic.

Does this include non human humanoids like elves, orc and goblins? 

You are missing out on some very interesting people. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, CandyCole said:

I assume that you also don't fly or rez/move large items then, if you want perfect realism? Or is the line specifically drawn at "talking animals"? I'm not being mean, I'm genuinely curious to hear about it if you'd like to tell!

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2022 at 3:52 PM, CandyCole said:

From what I gather there are plenty of places where the dog avatars don't talk and are much more dog like in their RPing. Be careful what you wish for. :)

And certainly, dogs don't talk, but cats do. Obviously.

• Like 1

It really depends where you show up as an animal. It is quite easy to be disruptive in RP sims with the wrong ava. Say.. a giant dragon flying around in a realistic urban setting. Or a panther standing in the middle of people in an adult sim. These are things I've seen happen. lol

Though in any other place, I don't see why it would be an issue.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.