I was wrong about privacy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

And if you wan't to get extreme, you can get a sim wide security system that ejects all but group members or specific people. I have one that can do that, but I've never used that feature.

Yeah I have no need for that as its a super private region I have through LL. Its my home, basically. Group enabled only. If it were public, I would still have group enabled and use the access list ability. I haven't used an orb in forever, haha.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Annie Nova said:

Absolutely agree! I actually someone IM me and proceed to yell at me calling me all sorts of names. It was crazy.

I've dealt with strange people by inviting them over, and and telling them I wanted to engage in sex acts involving faeces. It's amazing how quickly they run!!!! They never actually come over, and never bother me again.

Most people who bother others expect some type of "get away from me" reaction. Turning the tables on them usually defeats their purpose. 

• Haha 4

OH, and if they actually would come  (which has never happened), I could always greet them with one of my two female AV's, and shoot them with my "used tampon" gun. They were already told not to enter unless they accept the threat of violence!!!

Edited by Bagnu
  • Haha 2

I'm almost 15 years in SL. Had to ban one person in all that time, because he stood idle for more than an hour inside my door store, totally naked.

Am I doing something wrong?
I should go out more often.

I don't play the relationships games in SL.
Maybe that helps a lot.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

I confess.  Sometimes I will look at the dashboard before I log in to see who is online.  There are times when I don't want to be bothered by some of my friends.  It's not like I don't want to be friends with them anymore, just that I like to be alone sometimes and some people don't get that and get all offended if I stop their ability to see my status or put up an ignore message.

So If I see someone is on line that I don't wish to engage with, checking ahead of logging in helps me to avoid them.

• Like 6

To be honest, people that don't understand that I'm busy at times are not the right people to hang out with me. If I'm in the middle of a building job or sorting my inventory I want to be left alone.

Only (potential) customers are always welcome for a brief chat for information when I'm online.
Friends will have to wait sometimes. Some friends maybe a bit longer.  :)

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

Yeah, private regions do have that benefit, the one who was stalking me would go stand on the Linden Road outside and harass me after I dropped the ban hammer (land ban, orb ban, and collar blacklist as well as a chat block.) on them.

While I prefer mainland for actually being connected to other places having a ban actually keep griefers far enough away that they can't bother you is occasionally tempting.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NanashiNyx said:

Yeah, private regions do have that benefit, the one who was stalking me would go stand on the Linden Road outside and harass me after I dropped the ban hammer (land ban, orb ban, and collar blacklist as well as a chat block.) on them.

While I prefer mainland for actually being connected to other places having a ban actually keep griefers far enough away that they can't bother you is occasionally tempting.

Only thing left to do is turn overhead tags off and derender the stalker's avatar (on Firestorm). Out of sight, out of mind.

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Only thing left to do is turn overhead tags off and derender the stalker's avatar (on Firestorm). Out of sight, out of mind.

This one was using a griefer HUD to abuse RLV for harassment purposes, only the second person I've reported to LL, the other was someone who thought it was cute to force strip me and force a TP to a PG region.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, NanashiNyx said:

This one was using a griefer HUD to abuse RLV for harassment purposes, only the second person I've reported to LL, the other was someone who thought it was cute to force strip me and force a TP to a PG region.

Turn RLV off, relog, remove abuser, turn RLV back on and relog (FS). That's what anyone needs to do the first time the abuse occurs. LL doesn't get involved in resident-to-resident disputes so ARing them for it probably won't garner any action on LL's part.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I confess.  Sometimes I will look at the dashboard before I log in to see who is online.  There are times when I don't want to be bothered by some of my friends.  It's not like I don't want to be friends with them anymore, just that I like to be alone sometimes and some people don't get that and get all offended if I stop their ability to see my status or put up an ignore message.

So If I see someone is on line that I don't wish to engage with, checking ahead of logging in helps me to avoid them.

I go with an "I'm working on something" message, then stop answering. If that's too hard for them to grasp, they get unfriended.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I go with an "I'm working on something" message, then stop answering. If that's too hard for them to grasp, they get unfriended.

Once I put up a fake "in the throes of passion" post that made it look like I was making love and had posted in the wrong message box by accident as my busy message. It got a lot of interesting responses but it didn't work to make people stop bothering me so I changed it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, NanashiNyx said:

I just turn off RLV, and relog if something is wrong (usually time issues). Personally, I accept anything that happens to me when I have RLV on. That's the entire point.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

... No, that isn't the entire point. That is why there are options and restrictions.

That is your personal choice.

That's why I said "I accept". But isn't the point of RLV to be restricted and controlled?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

I had something about being in the shower and would be back in a little bit.. Then logged aff after I got out of the shower, then forgot I had it on there, for like 3 days.. hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, Bagnu said:

That's why I said "I accept". But isn't the point of RLV to be restricted and controlled?

The point of it is to offer an extended set of script commands that can be used as such. There are other applications that have nothing to do with restriction and control of another. Automated Group Changers, expanded Wardrobes, specialized teleport systems (both before and now after the introduction of Experience based systems) and much more.

Even in its initial release, the end user could still dictate how much control they are willing to cede.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Yes, WITH CONSENT.

But consent isn't something that you just give once: to be true consent it has to be ongoing and engaged.

In BDSM and D/s, that is most usually achieved by establishing boundaries ahead of time, but also through having failsafe mechanisms such as safe words that enable the sub to withdraw consent at any time, no matter what. RLV has mechanisms that allow you to opt out for exactly the same reasons.

https://www.them.us/story/kink-101-bdsm-and-consent

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

The point of it is to offer an extended set of script commands that can be used as such. There are other applications that have nothing to do with restriction and control of another. Automated Group Changers, expanded Wardrobes, specialized teleport systems (both before and now after the introduction of Experience based systems) and much more.

Even in its initial release, the end user could still dictate how much control they are willing to cede.

I know the cts wardrobe uses it, but I'm familiar with it through the context of BDSM. I have no idea how to adjust how much control I wish to give, but I don't want to be able to control that. I simply turn it off when I can't play accordingly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, WITH CONSENT.

But consent isn't something that you just give once: to be true consent it has to be ongoing and engaged.

In BDSM and D/s, that is most usually achieved by establishing boundaries ahead of time, but also through having failsafe mechanisms such as safe words that enable the sub to withdraw consent at any time, no matter what. RLV has mechanisms that allow you to opt out for exactly the same reasons.

https://www.them.us/story/kink-101-bdsm-and-consent

I always cringe just a bit when I see in a profile...collar is open, no restrictions.  

/me shudders

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I always cringe just a bit when I see in a profile...collar is open, no restrictions.  

/me shudders

Were I a Domme, I would actually not permit a sub to waive all restrictions. That is literally undercutting the central premise of BDSM and D/s, which is about power exchange, consent, and, yes, care.

Most of the Dom/mes I know or have known in SL are pretty brutal in their characterization of "the scene" in SL, precisely because there are so many here who have no idea of how it is supposed to actually work.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Most of the Dom/mes I know or have known in SL are pretty brutal in their characterization of "the scene" in SL.

On the spectrum of scenes you've heard characterized, where does "crushing asshats with a front end loader" fall?

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

...there are so many here who have no idea of how it is supposed to actually work.

I've never let that stop me.

• Haha 6

To be somewhat fair, Scylla ... A few actually do want to be micro-managed and such (I had a sub/pet long ago that was such - I was not comfortable with it myself but humored her for the most part on it). But by and large? yeah, many haven't a clue, don't want a clue or are on power trips.

My collar is set to require my permission to do things, with my Mate set as the sole other "Owner" aside from myself.

Permission to use the more advanced commands has thus far not been given out to anyone. No one will be added to the "Owner" list outside of my Mate and myself.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.