I was wrong about privacy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I forgot about trackers!

You can pay $229/mo for a full region from Linden Lab and still be on someone's tracker and harassed from their alts. So yes, privacy truly does not exist in Second Life. 

I think as a premium member, you should have the option to not be tracked at all. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Marigold Devin said:

... but they only can track when someone is online, not actually know where they are on the grid.

Correct. That's what I meant. All you have to do is use an alt to track another avatar (that hides their online status from those not on their friends list) and you can continue to harass them.

Just now, Chris Nova said:

Correct. That's what I meant. All you have to do is use an alt to track another avatar (that hides their online status from those not on their friends list) and you can continue to harass them.

I've never had the urge to harass anyone. And rarely have I been harassed (just by one lunatic woman one time). 

And I've always used an online tracker for one reason or another. Never for harassment purposes though. 

• Like 2

Just now, Marigold Devin said:

... or I really would have been the best ghost hunter around back in the day ! 😂

But to Chris, there IS a way of not being tracked. Keep a secret alt secret and log in with that. Works for me!

Yeah no, that's not going to work unless I want to spend thousands of actual dollars to rebuild my landscaping, decor, and house inventory. I enjoy landscaping on this platform.

• Thanks 1

Yeah no, that's not going to work unless I want to spend thousands of actual dollars to rebuild my landscaping, decor, and house inventory. I enjoy landscaping on this platform.

What am I missing here?  You can give your secret alt permission to modify and move your house inventory and decor etc. Is being harassed something that happens to you often?  I'm concerned/baffled in equal measure. 

• Like 1

Or.... or or or.... How about this hilarious idea. How about you run your own OpenSim server and have an absolute gigantic 16x16 regim offline all to yourself. I know i've been crazy enough to do that. It's actually kinda fun :) A truly gigantic sandbox.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Marigold Devin said:

What am I missing here?  You can give your secret alt permission to modify and move your house inventory and decor etc. Is being harassed something that happens to you often?  I'm concerned/baffled in equal measure. 

I was just pointing out that I was wrong in my original statement that owning a region means ultimate privacy. Its not when someone can use online trackers to track when you are online and message you to harass.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Or.... or or or.... How about this hilarious idea. How about you run your own OpenSim server and have an absolute gigantic 16x16 regim offline all to yourself. I know i've been crazy enough to do that. It's actually kinda fun :) A truly gigantic sandbox.

I thought about that but....the avatar quality is horrible. So is most of the items on their marketplace. If I could move my whole inventory over, I would.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris Nova said:

I was just pointing out that I was wrong in my original statement that owning a region means ultimate privacy. Its not when someone can use online trackers to track when you are online and message you to harass.

Ahhh I see, I get ya now.

Are they harassing you or just saying heyup?

Have my new year's resolution and stop giving a f*ck - just choose not to respond to people. F*ck 'em all! 

You can always turn on only receive IMs from friends.  I've done at times.  They pest soon gives up after getting no response.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Call me dumb, but i actually don't understand the issue here. If you have that region, you're paying for it, then i'm assuming you have estate rights to it, why not just ban the so called harassers? Or do you mean that they can see you're online, in which case the region itself has nothing to do with it, just you being online. I don't really get the problem here. Dang it. Third time today, what's wrong with me! Lol.

If it's the latter, the simple fact that they see you online through a "tracker". why not just ignore them, or set up an auto respond telling them you don't want to be bothered right now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Marigold Devin said:

Ahhh I see, I get ya now.

Are they harassing you or just saying heyup?

Have my new year's resolution and stop giving a f*ck - just choose not to respond to people. F*ck 'em all! 

Well see its feb (lovers month) so I guess some troll wanted to start drama.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Call me dumb, but i actually don't understand the issue here. If you have that region, you're paying for it, then i'm assuming you have estate rights to it, why not just ban the so called harassers? Or do you mean that they can see you're online, in which case the region itself has nothing to do with it, just you being online. I don't really get the problem here. Dang it. Third time today, what's wrong with me! Lol.

If it's the latter, the simple fact that they see you online through a "tracker". why not just ignore them, or set up an auto respond telling them you don't want to be bothered right now?

It's really not you!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chris Nova said:

Well see its feb (lovers month) so I guess some troll wanted to start drama.

Just click your red sequined shoes together and tell them you're not playing.

It works for me.

(Or you're not that bloke who on another thread had a couple of weeks of love bombing a woman and then decided to declare you wanted her as your sex slave? If so, you beast! )

Stop being so bloody desirable!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.