Help me decide...Which new AVI from these three should I go for?

TrishSummers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Any time I'm in a pinch like that where I can't decide, I look at what reflects me the most as well as what will have the most flexibility for what I wish to do later..

Otherwise, I'll just by them all if I really can't decide.. I'll pick the tone or tones I like and get them all.. hehehehe

If I only can get one, then I'll put them through the shape test, where I start putting them in a bunch of my shapes or shapes I like.. A lot of times, one will beat out the others..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TrishSummers said:

And when you say uncanniness.  Not sure I get what you mean?  is that a bad thing? 

Sorry, should have been more precise with my words. I was referring to the uncanny valley effect. We humans instinctively recognise subtle clues, shapes and motions in our interactions with living beings. If these things are off, they can cause an averse reaction. For example, Mark Zuckerberg blinks at a notably different cadence, which gives him an eerie stare and the impression of being a human robot. Among... other things.

Now when it comes to replicas, such as robots or game avatars, there's a bit of an issue. As long as we can clearly see they're not human, all is good. We expect little quirks and can emotionally relate with just some beeping and little icons. See Wall-E, R2D2. However the closer they get to humanoid, an odd phenomenon sets in. We instinctively flinch, pull back. This effect is called the uncanny valley. They are recognised as human but lack the cues, shape and details we look for. In games or 3D movies, you'll see studios intentionally aim for either less human or more. Whatever it takes to get out of the valley. Badly summarised. Wiki can do better than me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

What it means for your three variants is that to me, the leftmost variant manages to go a bit past the deep trenches of the uncanny valley. The other two, for me, don't.

Edited by ValKalAstra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Definitely the left one.

Middle one looks unnatural, artificial and two dimensional. So just like Megan Fox (!).

Right one looks like the victim of a bad bee sting. Look at the size of that gob! It should alternatively be sold as a Steven Tyler (from Aerosmith) avatar head.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you've put them in my personal order of preference.  Really like the one on left  - it has a bit of 'JLo' vibe about it, and I love her 😉

But I also like the middle one...and as some others have said, she does look a bit like Megan Fox.  And i don't think that's a bad thing either (I love her too 😉 ) LOL

• Like 1

I like the one on the left best, but it's what you like best that matters. 

Here's some advice though. Look closely at your RL face to see what shape your nose and lips are. Then pick the EvoX head that most closely matches your RL face. The cheeks and overall face shape can be modified, but the nose and lips shape won't change much. Pick whichever head most looks like your RL self, then Edit the face shape bit by bit until you really like it. Do these edits on a copy of the shape that comes with the mesh head. Then if you mess up, you can go back and try again.

Once you've picked a head, go looking for skins you like. Skins made for Lelutka will work best, but sometimes skins made for Genus could be ok too. Remember shape + skin can really change how your avatar looks, so demo the skins as well.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2021 at 12:46 PM, ValKalAstra said:

the leftmost variant manages to go a bit past the deep trenches of the uncanny valley. The other two, for me, don't.

I agree with this! Except for one thing...the middle avatar reminds me so much of Sarah Shahi in her role as Sameen Shaw in Person of Interest. Of course, Sameen sort of walks the Uncanny Valley herself, being a sociopathic killer and all.

2000?cb=20140913134129&f=1&nofb=1

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I changed my mind and now like the middle one best.

What about this uncanny valley issue, though? I think the valley may be different for each of us and probably changes as we get more used to virtual humans. Remember when the robots on The Jetsons and the original Lost in Space were supposed to represent futuristic robots? Now there are very lifelike robots that can converse moderately well with humans and digitally adjusted actors are used in movies. Remember how SL avatars looked 18 or even 10 years ago. Now look at how SL avatars are represented on Flickr today. Having an avatar that looks real, blinks and makes small natural expressions helps make it seem more like a person and less like a doll, but some people want their avatar to look like a doll, an anime character or even a robot. I've never experience an uncanny valley in SL, but then I've been immersed in this world for over a decade and will even dream of being in SL sometimes.

Below are 2 of my pre-mesh avatar looks vs. my current Lelutka mesh head look.

Me in the Wastelands (2).jpgMe as Persephone.png

Persephone with glasses, LeLutka River Head.jpg

Edited by Persephone Emerald
to add avatar pictures
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.