Facebook's "High Res Version of Second Life"

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

Actually, they have to be both. If FB by some means made something that does what SL does even better, and somehow also restores my trust in FB as a platform in terms of usefulness, reliability, privacy and security, I'd probably use it too. But those are big "ifs" and so far I see no evidence of them coming true. 

They have to be better to get your attention.

To suggest SL is defining some kind of high bar that FB or Epic must meet for general mainstream adoption is a fantasy.

They could be objectively junk from our perspective and they will still suck all the oxygen out of the room and make themselves the center of all discussion.

They will poison the well and they will steal ideas from others, FB is already well documented for wholesale ripping off products published on their own VR platform without repercussion.

Their mantra is "Copy, Acquire, Kill"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-03/facebook-accused-of-squeezing-rival-startups-in-virtual-reality

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 5:56 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Adoption-wise, I think VR headsets are going the way of 3D television sets, nuclear fusion and desktop Linux. Unless FB, or any VR-company comes up with a shiny new killer app that everybody needs.

That will never happen. There isn't an app anyone could come up with that I would ever need. No one needs a cellphone. I don't want one either.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

To suggest SL is defining some kind of high bar that FB or Epic must meet for general mainstream adoption is a fantasy.

They could be objectively junk from our perspective and they will still suck all the oxygen out of the room and make themselves the center of all discussion.

They will poison the well and they will steal ideas from others, FB is already well documented for wholesale ripping off products published on their own VR platform without repercussion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-03/facebook-accused-of-squeezing-rival-startups-in-virtual-reality

Damm, that makes me want to ditch the cheap Quest 2 I have and get an expensive Vive for 6 or 800, even if I'd have to eat beans for 2 months..

if the Metaverse was to become as ubiqituous then I think the winners will be Apple, Microsoft  and Google (Android)

when 3D view comes to the operating system UX then Facebook, etc will be relegated to the status they have now. Just another app running on the device

13 hours ago, Mollymews said:

if the Metaverse was to become as ubiqituous then I think the winners will be Apple, Microsoft  and Google (Android)

Eventually the old behemoths will fall and others will rise.

Google's Stadia has been mismanaged from every conceivable angle.  Amazon's New World has become the worst MMO launch ever, past MMORPGs have all had launch issues too but none of them had the full weight of AWS at their disposal.

Infinite Capital + Global Staff + Infrastructure Expertise != Successful Product

The 'metaverse' will either be built upon universally agreed protocols, allowing for users to transition between corporate hubs. Or it's going to be a closed system, as it is now, with a range of metaverses catering to different demographics.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

SL is the best at being SL. Despite a handful of attempts over the years, it's pretty much unreplicated. It's an anomaly that works for some reason. 

FB can make what they call a virtual world, but FB's problems will linger. And.. just look at what they have come up with so far.. it's like low budget kids animation. This does not inspire confidence.

If you're just referring to them buying out other products, sure, nothing stopping them (cept maybe antitrust laws? one can hope). But that wasn't what I was talking about. Getting bought out is a risk for any platform that takes the fancy of a big corporation. 

13 hours ago, Mollymews said:

That's more possible. But there are so many ways of imagining a metaverse, I think the best they could come up with is a product that appeals to certain niches.

20 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

That's more possible. But there are so many ways of imagining a metaverse, I think the best they could come up with is a product that appeals to certain niches.

i think the killer business metaverse  application will be the multi-dimensional spreadsheet, able to turn it to any view. Then the multi-dimensional database. And for these to work then who ever owns the OS that enables this will own the business sector

when go back in history, Lotus owned the 2D spreadsheet business up until Microsoft as the owner of the OS for business computers crushed Lotus by using their OS to their significant advantage. They did the same to WordPerfect as well

unless Facebook build/own their own OS then they will get eaten in the same way

ps. And if it isn't Microsoft it will be Google

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 1

The Facebook avatars are so bland! They are the very definition of corporate puritanism. I foresee the lack of legs will become a problem because people will start photoshopping the bottom of their avatars and posting their pictures online. You know how that will turn out. Rule 34.

3 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

SL is the best at being SL. Despite a handful of attempts over the years, it's pretty much unreplicated. It's an anomaly that works for some reason. 

SL is an anomaly in large part due to it's ass-backwards design.

Games and game engine derived content can't do what SL does without incurring massive penalaties.

I think the simplest analogy is LEGO.

A game engine derived experience is a fantastic boxed Lego set, it contains precisely the bricks needed, a cohesive presentation and a well thought out linear instruction manual (or two). It will build what it's intended to build and maybe some minor deviations on the same theme. Good luck building a house from this space ship.

SL is a bucket of mixed up LEGO bricks that's been dumped out on the carpet, mixed up bricks from hundreds of sets (and some blocko, action figures and plushies mixed in), with more being found around the house and tossed on the pile. Houses and space ships are equally likely, but it will take a whole lot longer to assemble and it can't ever match the presentation or experience of the boxed set.

Graphics cards are designed explicitly for boxed sets, and boxed sets are designed explicitly for graphics cards.

All our previous competitors have used the boxed set approach, even Sansar did allowing users to create and then publish a boxed experience.

No one is making platforms like SL on purpose - in the same way you can't buy a random amount of random bricks in a random bucket directly from LEGO.

3 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

FB can make what they call a virtual world, but FB's problems will linger. And.. just look at what they have come up with so far.. it's like low budget kids animation. This does not inspire confidence.

(To continue the LEGO theme)

They don't inspire confidence for a Master Builder .. but the vast majority of people aren't going to put the time in to become that.

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Beta legs in Facebook's Horizon Worlds:

Is already more personally interactive and more fun than anything you are likely to find in SL outside of frenetic moments in furry sandbox communities.

It doesn't matter what it looks like or what you can't do.

Give people a theme park and they will go have fun.

Give people SL and those who stay will have to explain what they have built, and how it captures and embodies the concept of fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i think the killer business metaverse  application will be the multi-dimensional spreadsheet, able to turn it to any view. Then the multi-dimensional database. And for these to work then who ever owns the OS that enables this will own the business sector

when go back in history, Lotus owned the 2D spreadsheet business up until Microsoft as the owner of the OS for business computers crushed Lotus by using their OS to their significant advantage. They did the same to WordPerfect as well

unless Facebook build/own their own OS then they will get eaten in the same way

ps. And if it isn't Microsoft it will be Google

How I miss my Lotus 1 2 3. 😟

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.