Zuckerberg Comes for the Metaverse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 hours ago, Mr Amore said:

Over the past months the big publishers have been preparing their consumers for the NFT era. And so it begins (BBC article).

In a world where people pay thousands for another man's used trainers (and display them in some living room shrine), NFTs are set to become hugely profitable. It's strategic that Ubisoft's 'digits' keep record of every previous owner, it gives value to worthless items for having been associated with celebrity streamers in the past.

These are closed systems and not as we envision NFTs for the 'metaverse', where an inventory could cross boundaries from metaverse to metaverse. But all eyes in the industry will be upon Ubisoft's digits now.

Ubisoft is already crap, so NFTs are right up their alley.

• Haha 2

Is it a game, is it a movie, is it a teaser for some future UE5 metaverse.

Some technology highlights begin from 8 minutes in.

Calling it an 'Unreal Engine 5 Experience' sounds like a shot across the bows. Even if Epic release some form of metaverse with interconnected Experiences, it will serve a different demographic to Roblox.

1 hour ago, Mr Amore said:

Even if Epic release some form of metaverse with interconnected Experiences, it will serve a different demographic to Roblox.

And the real point of a metaverse is the interconnecting of demographics. The ability for an S/L resident to teleport to a Roblox experience and then over to an Epic one, all the while maintaining the look they left S/L with.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And the real point of a metaverse is the interconnecting of demographics. The ability for an S/L resident to teleport to a Roblox experience and then over to an Epic one, all the while maintaining the look they left S/L with.

But that in turn means SL residents would have to accept an influx of Roblox/Anime/Minecraft appearances, and from the tenor of the posts I've seen here that would not go down well.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mr Amore said:

Calling it an 'Unreal Engine 5 Experience' sounds like a shot across the bows. Even if Epic release some form of metaverse with interconnected Experiences, it will serve a different demographic to Roblox.

All I want to know is, Do they reenact the Niobe & Persephone kiss scene? 😉

My contribution to the Big Zs next squillion dollaz....
Horizon Worlds I Meta Quest 2 -> "Be Nothing You Want to Be!"
That video is totally yawnsville.
Are people really that stupid to swallow that rubbish? 🤔🙄
Oh....i c..... 😑

Edited by Maryanne Solo
EmBOLDened

24 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Oh....i c..... 😑

Sadly many live on Freakbook.  If anyone every watched The Social Dilemma on NetFlix, they talk about how FB minipulates people and ways to keep them hooked, line and sinker.

Think I'm one of 23 that never did FreakBook and never will.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mr Amore said:

And you'll get stuck in lag 5 fps 😂

Edited by Tama Suki

17 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Oh....i c..... 😑

I have to agree - but you have to hand it to Meta:  Inane and utterly creepy at the same time is sometimes hard to pull off, but that video nailed it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Oh....i c..... 😑

Still enough zombies stoopid enough to be on zuckbook so I think (as they obviously do not) it is a losing battle.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kitten5ylph said:

Here is a fresh article on this stuff: 

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/12/16/1042516/the-metaverse-has-a-groping-problem/

Have to admit, this one made me chuckle - I am hard pressed to see how someone's gonna be traumatized by a virtual grope in Zuck's betaverse.

You have to have an Oculus to get into Horizon Worlds? I might want to try that. They're looking for creators.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Might want to look at who owns what you create ....

Does it matter? This world is dying. Facebook is so committed to birthing the next word, it changed its name. That would be like a Linden tattooing SL Forever across her chest.

Don't you want to feel that excitement again when SL was young and it felt like we we're building a new country and there was a real sense of community?

Edited by Randall Ahren
Changed it's to its.
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

They do not care one whit about you. At all.

Imagine being alive 500,000 years from now, and the luminosity of the sun has increased 2.5% because it's starting to burn more helium. The oceans are evaporating and the equator is an uninhabitable wasteland. A colony ship is leaving for another star system. Do you get on the ship or complain that the people at the new star system will not care one whit about you?

That's where we're at in virtual world time.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Randall Ahren said:

Does it matter?

Donating yourself to a billion dollar corporation to recapture a little lost nostalgia is about the most depressing endorsement of anything I've ever heard.

1 hour ago, Randall Ahren said:

Imagine being alive 500,000 years from now, and the luminosity of the sun has increased 2.5% because it's starting to burn more helium. The oceans are evaporating and the equator is an uninhabitable wasteland. A colony ship is leaving for another star system. Do you get on the ship or complain that the people at the new star system will not care one whit about you?

That's where we're at in virtual world time.

It's really not.

To continue your analogy, imagine upon reaching the new colony, with no way home .. you discover the brave new world is a perfect paradise in every way but one, making it irrevocably incompatible with life transplanted from earth. Supplies dwindling the colony turns inwards and consumes itself, literally. Will you eat your new friends before they eat you?

Meta is no more the future of virtual worlds than Elon is king of Mars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.