Zuckerberg Comes for the Metaverse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

I have to keep reminding myself that the bulk of what is important to the continuation of Second Life as a service is not represented in the Second Life Forums.

Yes. I think Mojo Linden gets it. The big problem is "slow". He's made performance improvement a priority for his dev team.

Every competitive product is faster. That plays into the perception of Second Life as a has-been platform.

Edited by animats
  • Like 1

There's this site called Make Use Of that occasionally amps its way onto my Google News feed, which yesterday had an article "Is Second Life Still a Thing?" If that sounds familiar, it's apparently the third Second Life article on that site this month, before which there was one in 2013 and one in 2008. 

(I draw the inevitable conclusion that now is the time to buy Ingrid's prefabs.)

• Like 3

On 12/30/2021 at 12:49 AM, Sammy Huntsman said:

SL isn't a metaverse, it's a virtual world. What I imagine a metaverse as is like ready player one or even Wreck-It Ralph 2. Things like that. 

I think at the moment the closest thing to what you are saying is SL. We will have to wait a few more years but we will surely get there.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mr Amore said:

This could snowball into a larger debate on the moral responsibilities of 'metaverses'.

Is that video pirated from some other video? The content is in a little box surrounded by video noise. Link to the original?

Edited by animats

18 minutes ago, animats said:

Is that video pirated from some other video? The content is in a little box surrounded by video noise. Link to the original?

I'm pretty sure it's just the way the start of the video is edited.  That video is created by the individual that Roblox is suing and is hosted on his official youtube channel.

And in the anticlimatic conclusion it appears Roblox folded and settled the case. Going to trial would have highlighted the impunity of child groomers operating on their platform (and Discord too), but now nothing will change.

Roblox actually won, they managed to silence a vocal critic of their staff and policies. And no one will care about this story beyond next week.

Edited by Mr Amore
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

It's already been a year since Facebook rebranded itself to Meta, since then the company has lost $700 billion in value.

When LL splurged some $60 million on Sansar, that was shocking. Yes Sansar was a far superior product to the billions Meta has poured into Horizon Worlds, and its indie-developer aesthetic.

A year ago every tech venture was touting the Metaverse tagline, that hype is officially over with all eyes on Meta's free fall.

Meta's loss is SL's gain, the 20th century metaverse that keeps on giving.

All we need are larger sims (1km * 1km minimum). And the One-Mesh-Body-To-Rule-Them-All, provided by LL with opensource dev kits. Add in height maps, instanced regions, content delivery networks, improved HUD and gaming features - and I'm prepared to forgive LL.

And another video, courtesy of:

Edited by Mr Amore
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Amore said:

It's already been a year since Facebook rebranded itself to Meta, since then the company has lost $700 billion in value.

🤣

I think one of the largest setbacks in Horizon Worlds, is that it is trying to build around the hardware limitations of a standalone set of VR goggles.  It may be why the graphics look so horrendous to the rest of us. If so, they are fighting an uphill battle when it comes to VR as trying to keep up with the raw power of a PC in something that is based upon mobile technology and reliant on our current battery technology is just not there yet.  By the time it is better, chances are PCs will only be more powerful and while the standards of 2022 will be met, we will have a new set of standards that may blow the previous ones out of the window.

This is all speculation on my part, I could be incredibly wrong.  I do know that Meta Quest 2 has the option of a link cable, that allows you to use your computer to process the data, it also can be streamed to your goggles which is pretty cool, but I don't believe Horizons takes advantage of that feature and instead opts to just use the goggle's own hardware.

Regardless, I would be happy to see Facebook go the way of the dodo, same goes with twitter and google.  I have a personal grudge against all of the major social media networks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.