How Does Your SL Look Today?

Bagnu

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'd have to say not as closely as some seem to think.  I toss something out and if it fits the theme, I don't really care how the light/shadow hits it as I walk by.  I mean, honestly, there is more chit chat about how avatars look than the surroundings.   What do we look for in all that other stuff?  Land impact, triangles, LOD.   If items aren't made well to begin with, no amount of PBR crapola you add to it will make me buy it.  

But..but..Details Matter!!1!!! * stamps feet *

ETA: I see there are also titles now such as, "Stomping Kittens", and "The Cat Who Sniffed Glue". Go figger.

catstomp.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But..but..Details Matter!!1!!! * stamps feet *

ETA: I see there are also titles now such as, "Stomping Kittens", and "The Cat Who Sniffed Glue". Go figger.

catstomp.jpg

Details can be a problem when creators create badly.  I tried on a 2 piece out fit yesterday.  The shirt alone was over 500,000 triangles!  WTF?  Add all the PBR and details you'd like.  I'm still not buying anything like that.  Not in apparel and certainly not in homes/decor.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

There isn't anything that has been done to fix SSR and the snapshot tool yet.

This is what really confuses me, because I can use the viewer's snapshot tool in 9142 and capture pictures with my reflection in them now.  The only time it doesn't capture my reflection is when dynamic is not selected.  

Snapshot_429.thumb.jpg.b67d9bebb316047eef2d04e05e03dfd2.jpg

Things like this, where I was playing around with hollow sphere mirrors, and found it funny that I was being reflected while inside of the sphere  and my camera was outside of it🙃  I think it is because I had the probe extended beyond the sphere itself.

Snapshot_424.thumb.jpg.04891c57474bca5bb29b0ef31fabad75.jpg

Upside down me inside of that sphere, and a light source that I created out of it to play around with shadows.

Snapshot_432.thumb.jpg.bf9cc353088bd6f54049eb37935fb309.jpg

I'm losing my head over this!  😜 This is what happens when I go into mouselook and have the show avatar option selected in preferences, otherwise I vanish entirely.  I know the reason behind it, but for some reason these all amused me. I wonder if LL will fix this in their viewer, I kind of hope they don't because bugs in games have always amused me.

Snapshot_435.thumb.jpg.d91d4a813a0c92f5f8a0aca9eacc7dcc.jpg

I was hoping that I would have had a light reflected back on me here, but light doesn't reflect off surfaces as far as I can tell.  Shadows do though.  

I hope that LL is not removing this because I do like to capture reflections easily, perhaps a bit too much at times, well I mean this is a new toy and eventually I will find something else to get excited about.  Still it is nice to just take a snapshot in the viewer without all of the extra steps involved with creating a picture with reflections of my avatar in them. 

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm totally unsure at the moment.
Will I set myself to start studying PBR or simply call it a day and stop creating for SL in the near feature if people start to demand for PBR extra's for each and every object.
So far I'm leaning towards that it is not worth the extra effort. How often do people really look that closely to their surroundings in SL?
Time will tell, I guess.

You've got time.

A quick search on the MP for "PBR" pulls up 1500 items, of which almost half are building components, e.g., mostly materials packs. There is a grand total of 72 structures, and 180 "Home and Garden" items, a largish percentage of which are . . . mirrors.

That will of course change over time, but right now creators are being pretty slow to pick up on this.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

This is what really confuses me, because I can use the viewer's snapshot tool in 9142 and capture pictures with my reflection in them now.  The only time it doesn't capture my reflection is when dynamic is not selected.  

I should try it with a vertical probe reflection, I've only tried it with horizontal / ground IIRC.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Snapshot_429.thumb.jpg.b67d9bebb316047eef2d04e05e03dfd2.jpg

Things like this, where I was playing around with hollow sphere mirrors, and found it funny that I was being reflected while inside of the sphere  and my camera was outside of it🙃  I think it is because I had the probe extended beyond the sphere itself.

Snapshot_424.thumb.jpg.04891c57474bca5bb29b0ef31fabad75.jpg

Upside down me inside of that sphere, and a light source that I created out of it to play around with shadows.

Snapshot_432.thumb.jpg.bf9cc353088bd6f54049eb37935fb309.jpg

I'm losing my head over this!  😜 This is what happens when I go into mouselook and have the show avatar option selected in preferences, otherwise I vanish entirely.  I know the reason behind it, but for some reason these all amused me. I wonder if LL will fix this in their viewer, I kind of hope they don't because bugs in games have always amused me.

Snapshot_435.thumb.jpg.d91d4a813a0c92f5f8a0aca9eacc7dcc.jpg

I was hoping that I would have had a light reflected back on me here, but light doesn't reflect off surfaces as far as I can tell.  Shadows do though.  

I hope that LL is not removing this because I do like to capture reflections easily, perhaps a bit too much at times, well I mean this is a new toy and eventually I will find something else to get excited about.  Still it is nice to just take a snapshot in the viewer without all of the extra steps involved with creating a picture with reflections of my avatar in them. 

You will have to distinguish between Screen Space Reflections (SSR) and the reflection maps generated by the probes.
These are 2 entirely different methods of reflections. And they aren't related to one another, except that you are seeing a reflection on a shiny surface.

If the Dynamic setting is checked on a manual probe, it will include avatars in it's generated cubemap. The cubemap is what the probe is capturing from it's center outwards. So it's drawing everything that is "seen" (beginning from it's center) onto the inside walls of a cube (or shpere). That is the cubemap which you see on those shiny surfaces. If Dynamic is checked, your avatar will be drawn onto this cubemap as well.

Then there are Screenspace Reflections which you can enable, or disable in the graphics floater as well.
If SSR is checked, you will see a reflection on shiny surfaces at certain angles, if the object/avatar is actually on screen as well. SSR does not use/need reflection probes.
You will always see the avatar, and it's screenspace reflection on the monitor at the same time. As soon as you move your camera, and the avatar isn't on screen anymore, the reflection of the avatar will vanish from the shiny surface as well. Hence the name Screen Space Reflections. It can only reflect something that is on screen.

And it's the SSR only, that isn't saved out with the snapshot tool yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, arton Rotaru said:

You will have to distinguish between Screen Space Reflections (SSR) and the reflection maps generated by the probes.
These are 2 entirely different methods of reflections. And they aren't related to one another, except that you are seeing a reflection on a shiny surface.

/me levels up

giphy.gif

wow-level-up.jpg

Thank you 😊 That clears up quite a lot, I was thinking of probes as more of a lens which focused reflective surfaces.

With these new found powers, I promise to only do good in our world 🤞😈

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If you were using a purpose-created Blinn-Phong diffuse map, with the AO baked in, rather than the same base colour map for both, I'd expect to see the rivets stand out better: PBR materials separate those functions into different maps, at least one of which -- metallic -- won't be present in the base colour texture.

Well, I DID create a Blinn-Phong diffuse map, and yes it DOES show more detail.  The first pic with my rock on the right has a metallicity texture. In the second one, I have set as blank. What I'm seeing is the EEP affecting the surface more than it should. Hence, the vaselinity. And why it's mostly mirrors that are sold on MP IMHO. 

Pbre Cube test_020.png

Pbre Cube test_019.png

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

What I'm seeing is the EEP affecting the surface more than it should. Hence, the vaselinity. And why it's mostly mirrors that are sold on MP IMHO.

Broken record here again . . . yeah. The EEPs need to be fixed. And given how complicated EEP can be, I don't think it should be left to individual users to do: LL needs to update these themselves. Otherwise there are going to be a lot of pretty awful shared environmental settings in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, I had an open invitation from the always lovely @MoiraKathleen to visit her home, and I finally got around to dropping by this afternoon. It's really, unsurprisingly, very nice, and beautifully pastoral. She has bees, and flowers, and a greenhouse, and plots of interactive plants that she needs to tend to. It reminds me a little of what I was trying to do in my own parcel, except hers is much much prettier. (And mine is more urban.)

Anyway, this was just a quick pic taken on the fly. I need to go back and take others -- preferably featuring Moira in the midst of her little bucolic paradise!

Moiras-Place-Blank.thumb.png.17f3d73f0f61c0309ba6f47c816cc269.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I didn't take many pics at this year's Hippiestock. I was too busy dancing with @Cinnamon Mistwood, and discussing PBR with @Scylla Rhiadra. Not at the same time though. Each Lady had my full attention. I know I took pics of the "pyramid", but for some reason, they didn't show up in my folder.

Hippiestock 2024 with Cinny Smoke 2 Sandor.png

Hipiestock Hendrix.png

• Like 11

My power came back on!  I wasn't expecting it to until tomorrow, so I had time to edit the photos from my short time at Hippiestock.

I had to do my usual creative cropping to make sure there was no nudity, but I saw some forumites there!

Hippie and Owl

Hippiestock2024editedd(1).thumb.jpg.f3f293ba0f79073ac8bfdb848d7e2992.jpg

Doc and BJoyful

Hippiestock2024editedd(5).thumb.jpg.f5dfb03b1d3d85f59715b4a5bf5f9a5f.jpg

Scylla

Hippiestock2024editedd(3).thumb.jpg.a57239dcb15a7564bef1a2328dfba989.jpg

Sandor

Hippiestock2024editedd(4).thumb.jpg.abe7a3857fa24b29c694cc17568080eb.jpg

The pyramid!  Maddy is so hard to get a pic of with her invisible avatar, but she's on the lower left

Hippiestock2024editedd(2).thumb.jpg.cbf7485cd8a82bee892a2ea38a071f75.jpg

And then my power went out and I missed the rest.  I look forward to this every year.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

My power came back on!  I wasn't expecting it to until tomorrow, so I had time to edit the photos from my short time at Hippiestock.

I had to do my usual creative cropping to make sure there was no nudity, but I saw some forumites there!

Hippie and Owl

Hippiestock2024editedd(1).thumb.jpg.f3f293ba0f79073ac8bfdb848d7e2992.jpg

Doc and BJoyful

Hippiestock2024editedd(5).thumb.jpg.f5dfb03b1d3d85f59715b4a5bf5f9a5f.jpg

Scylla

Hippiestock2024editedd(3).thumb.jpg.a57239dcb15a7564bef1a2328dfba989.jpg

Sandor

Hippiestock2024editedd(4).thumb.jpg.abe7a3857fa24b29c694cc17568080eb.jpg

The pyramid!  Maddy is so hard to get a pic of with her invisible avatar, but she's on the lower left

Hippiestock2024editedd(2).thumb.jpg.cbf7485cd8a82bee892a2ea38a071f75.jpg

And then my power went out and I missed the rest.  I look forward to this every year.

I love this! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

snapthingy_001.thumb.png.d3bf94d4d9970146f76d768cf90ecdf4.png

I just repeat to myself over and over that all art looks like crap while it's still in process.

If it is art, it even can look like crap after it is finished.
One can always come up with a deeper reason why it simply has to look that way. ;)

A fine example from where I live in RL:

tumblr_ol9nd19paD1w5ji99o1_540.jpg

Someone got payed for that.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Added an example
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

One can always come up with a deeper reason why it simply has to look that way. ;)

Boy, that took some skill, huh? Looks like something quarry workers do for fun on their lunch break. Rock Jenga, anyone?

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

LOL, I like it!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PheebyKatz said:

Boy, that took some skill, huh? Looks like something quarry workers do for fun on their lunch break. Rock Jenga, anyone?

I like it!!! It would be fun to sit up on that!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2024-01-14_21-22.thumb.png.9a4f1044e81b8649838fdccfe6e533ee.png

My gfx settings when I'm in build mode are less than photogenic, sorry. Just figured a view from the outside would be novel, for a change.

Mostly because titler, lol.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm often very amazed at the "art" that people get paid for.  Much of it looks like stuff I did in Kindergarten

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm often very amazed at the "art" that people get paid for.  Much of it looks like stuff I did in Kindergarten

I remember my art "professor" at U of T saying that it can take years to be able to make art look like stuff made in kindergarten. We got along well, but we had a few disagreements on the concept of art.   

I think kindergarten art stuff should be left in kindergarten. 

Edited by Bagnu