EWWW THAT'S SO GROSS !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Brussels Sprouts make a wonderful side dish.  You just need to know how to cook (and not overcook) them.  

Steam fresh sprouts for about 6 mins, until soft with a fork.  Serve hot or cold, with a dash of fresh lemon juice and salt.  Nothing bitter or sulfurous about them,  Learn to cook them properly.  If you can smell Brussels sprouts cooking, you are overcooking them and releasing sulfurous compounds.

Tomatoes are not toxic for most people  Ripe tomatoes are extremely low in tomatine.  The leaves and stems contain higher quantities, so don't eat the leaves or stems. Lots of old wives tales about tomatoes.  My father was afraid to eat a red ripe tomato because his family and ignorant ancestors told him they were poisonous.  

Once he got married, my mother said eat my home-grown tomatoes or else.  

Today, tomatoes are touted as extremely healthy food sources in large part due to their high concentration of lycopene, an antioxidant that has been shown to reduce the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and macular degeneration.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/tomato-plant-toxicity.htm

• Like 4

So far I like just about everything here except the peanut butter and the bugs (I confess I've never actually eaten a bug, but I have no intention of doing so).

I'm mostly vegetarian so I could just list a whole lot of meat, but that feels like cheating. So I'll just leave these;

cracker.png.365824c64d0e087ea6c6cb5051937c49.png

They're like eating compressed sawdust.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

They're like eating compressed sawdust.

But knäckebröd is the best thing since-- Well actually since long before sliced bread.

• Like 4

🍄 Mushrooms.  I can’t stand their texture, taste or scent.  And so of course growing up my stepmom put cream of mushroom cans of condensed soup in eveeeeeerythiiiiing.  I get the eebie jeebies just preparing them, the freaky gills are just *bleh* but I will occasionally (think New Year’s Eve) make stuffed&baked ones for family.  
️ Coffee.  I don’t own a coffee pot, so thankfully no one I live with drinks it,either.  No amount of sugar, flavored creamers, whipped cream or gobs of caramel or chocolate makes it palatable.

celery (no emoji).  The smell alone gives me a headache.  Seriously.  I cross to the other side of produce to avoid breathing it in.  & of course this was another staple in my stepmoms cooking.

🐟 Canned salmon.  It seemed like it went on for years, but as a kid there was a span of time that we ate salmon patties from a pink can mixed with egg & saltines at least twice a week.  I think the canning company deliberately added scales, bones, skin & slime.  

2 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Brussels Sprouts make a wonderful side dish.  You just need to know how to cook (and not overcook) them.  

Steam fresh sprouts for about 6 mins, until soft with a fork.  Serve hot or cold, with a dash of fresh lemon juice and salt.  Nothing bitter or sulfurous about them,  Learn to cook them properly.  If you can smell Brussels sprouts cooking, you are overcooking them and releasing sulfurous compounds.

Tomatoes are not toxic for most people  Ripe tomatoes are extremely low in tomatine.  The leaves and stems contain higher quantities, so don't eat the leaves or stems. Lots of old wives tales about tomatoes.  My father was afraid to eat a red ripe tomato because his family and ignorant ancestors told him they were poisonous.  

Today, tomatoes are touted as extremely healthy food sources in large part due to their high concentration of lycopene, an antioxidant that has been shown to reduce the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and macular degeneration.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/tomato-plant-toxicity.htm

Soft with a fork is exactly what you get when you slightly overcook them.
And with slightly overcooking them I mean just a tad longer than most restaurants do.

And that's the way I like them, so that's the way I cook them.
No need to learn anything.

Edited by Sid Nagy

Really the only thing I can think of that really grosses me out is, just about any fast food.. Especially the big chain ones..

I might be able to handle Taco Bell smell, but  for the most part nobody is allowed to bring any of it in my house.. That's all I'll smell in the house and have to start cleaning..

McDonald's in my eyes is the worst smelling food that so many people eat, like they are addicted to it..

I don't even really want it on the porch.. hehehe

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I love both peanut butter and brussel sprouts - I even like those as a kid - but I detest tapioca.

Oh, and Bread Pudding (cooked soggy bread) - YUCK

image.png.48d35b2f40afc101e061a2cba4843edc.png

I never understood why anyone would want to waste a whole loaf of stale bread on a pudding when they could crumble it up and use the bread crumbs in a meatloaf or for baked chicken (better than Shake n Bake!) or pork. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Aside from the icky taste, it's also a textural issue.  It's the same with liver of any kind.  I have no problem with the taste if chicken livers are added to gravy since I can't actually feel the mealy texture.  

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

And that's the way I like them, so that's the way I cook them.
No need to learn anything.

Wasn't talking to you SId, was thinking of Rowan, that won't eat brussel sprouts she said.  Steamed sprouts have a smooth texture, and the lemon juice and salt balance out the alkaloid.  Cabbage supposed to be good for digestion too, just don't overdue it.

The worst tasting "food" I can think of is Welch's Grape Jelly.  It is mostly high fructose corn syrup, and the grape taste is skunky from the cheap 
American Concord grapes they add, as a concentrate.  Not Food.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Wasn't talking to you SId, was thinking of Rowan, that won't eat brussel sprouts she said.  Steamed sprouts have a smooth texture, and the lemon juice and salt balance out the alkaloid.  Cabbage supposed to be good for digestion too, just don't overdue it.

The worst tasting "food" I can think of is Welch's Grape Jelly.  It is mostly high fructose corn syrup, and the grape taste is skunky from the cheap 
American Concord grapes they add, as a concentrate.  Not Food.

I've tried them steamed, sauteed and even pickled.  It's the texture mostly.  I do keep trying, though.

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Well not quite anything.

No. Just... no.

main-qimg-26e9661bc5a14806d9fef04ff87a55

I wouldn't have that much Pineapple on my pizza, just enough to flavor it a bit..

People will cook it on a ham to flavor it, but swear against it on a pizza with Canadian bacon.. hehehe

14 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I wouldn't have that much Pineapple on my pizza, just enough to flavor it a bit..

People will cook it on a ham to flavor it, but swear against it on a pizza with Canadian bacon.. hehehe

You're damn straight it's good on ham and not on pizza. 😋

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

You're damn straight it's good on ham and not on pizza. 😋

I haven't had a good pizza since I was last up north.. You can't find a good pizza place where I am..

If I was up north right now, I would be cheating on my regular diet, sooo bad right now..

My pizza would have Sausage mushroom onion green peppers and Pineapple on a double dough.. That's my favorite pizza ever.. But I can't ever have it down here, because good pizza places just don't exist here.. hehehe

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I haven't had a good pizza since I was last up north.. You can't find a good pizza place where I am..

If I was up north right now, I would be cheating on my regular diet, sooo bad right now..

My pizza would have Sausage mushroom onion green peppers and Pineapple on a double dough.. That's my favorite pizza ever.. But I can't ever have it down here, because good pizza places just don't exist here.. hehehe

I used to LOVE green peppers on my pizza.  Sadly, as I've gotten older, green peppers don't love me.  I wish they would use the red, yellow or orange varieties instead.  I know it's not the exact same flavor but they don't give me heartburn.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.