EWWW THAT'S SO GROSS !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Isn't hogshead cheese basically the meat of the head mixed with spices and peppers?

Yup, and ham comes from its *ss.

Edited by Sid Nagy

meat from organs is often frowned upon .. and sometimes difficult to get unless there's a real butcher nearby.
I remember quite well liver, kidney and udder was on the menu quite regulary at my grandparents kitchen.
( and home made hogshead cheese, here mostly named "zult" (i'll spare the other name, it's used for something totally different now :)  )

48 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

meat from organs is often frowned upon ..

In the US you can't get real haggis due to the FDA forbidding the use of lungs in foods (which I suppose a local butcher might ignore, but industrially produced and canned haggis would have to do without). In Sweden there are two similar dishes, lungmos (lit. 'lung-mash') and the more popular variant which is lungmos with barley, called pölsa. I guess that means you can't have proper pölsa in the US either, come to think of it ..

10345916.jpg

If you want to sample the haggis and black pudding of kings, artisan butchers in Stornoway in the NW of Scotland do mail order. McCleod I recall...an island clan.

Its astonishing.

Tuna steaks kissing the pan both sides on the way to my plate are also outstanding. Done right, the sides show three stripes, just done top and bottom, almost raw in the middle. Fantastic.

My favourite delicacy though is fish finger sandwiches on wholemeal bread with tomato relish, and a bit of side salad.

• Like 1

One thing that a lot of people think is gross but is really good is deer heart..

I'll put it in a batter with some cornbread mix and cook it in olive oil..

The cornbread mix gives it a nice sweetness that blends well with the taste of the meat..

It's really high in protein..

If anyone likes chicken gizzards, they'll probably like it.. I know every time we get a deer my boys are always asking when are we having deer heart.. hehehe

I caught them one time trying to get things ready because they seen  I was getting some ready to freeze..

They thought it was gonna be for dinner that night.. it still had to soak..

They fight over deer heart.. hehehe

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BelindaN said:

If you want to sample the haggis and black pudding of kings, artisan butchers in Stornoway in the NW of Scotland do mail order. McCleod I recall...an island clan.

Its astonishing.

Tuna steaks kissing the pan both sides on the way to my plate are also outstanding. Done right, the sides show three stripes, just done top and bottom, almost raw in the middle. Fantastic.

My favourite delicacy though is fish finger sandwiches on wholemeal bread with tomato relish, and a bit of side salad.

MacLeod of Harris or MacLeod of Lewis?

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

One thing that a lot of people think is gross but is really good is deer heart..

I'll put it in a batter with some cornbread mix and cook it in olive oil..

The cornbread mix gives it a nice sweetness that blends well with the taste of the meat..

It's really high in protein..

If anyone likes chicken gizzards, they'll probably like it.. I know every time we get a deer my boys are always asking when are we having deer heart.. hehehe

I caught them one time trying to get things ready because they seen  I was getting some ready to freeze..

They thought it was gonna be for dinner that night.. it still had to soak..

They fight over deer heart.. hehehe

Beef heart is really good too. I make beef heart stew a couple times in the winter every year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

MacLeod of Harris or MacLeod of Lewis?

It might be MacLeod & MacLeod of Lewis. I need to look it up!

Its CharlesMacLeod of Stornoway!

Edited by BelindaN

On 6/30/2021 at 12:48 AM, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm married to a MacLeod of Harris. Isle of Skye.

Ah! That clan name is everywhere around Lewis&Harris. If you've never got to Skye, we got there a couple of years ago, and it lives up to the reputation of desolate beauty. 

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

If you've never got to Skye, we got there a couple of years ago, and it lives up to the reputation of desolate beauty. 

It truly does!  I was there 5 years ago -- stayed in a lovely B&B on the west coast for a week while hiking around.  It's a beautiful, peaceful part of the world.

• Like 1

I'll have a hard time eating anything that I'd consider rotten (Like the maggot-cheese or Surströmmling).
I'll not eat insects unless they're finely ground, lol. - I've had some pasta that was partially made with ground worms. Tasted like regular pasta - but I'm scared of insects, especially spiders, so that's a nono for me.
I won't eat cat or dog, unlike my guy, lol. 

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Spiders ain't insects.
So you can eat insects without fearing to eat a spider.

:)

Insects and arachnids are both [s]crustaceans[/s] anthropods so they are related.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
fingers are too slow

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

Insects and arachnids are both crustaceans so they are related.

.. .. Then how about shrimp? 

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

They're custaceans ,too. So are lobster and crab. Crabs are basically armored underwater spiders. I'll eat lobster, crab and shrimp but I'll pass on land spiders.

What about aeronautic spiders?

699d075cdea9ead3ec16781edd8fec28.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Orwar said:
2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Insects and arachnids are both crustaceans so they are related.

.. .. Then how about shrimp? 

No, insects are not crustaceans.  Insects and crustaceans are in different classes, although both are arthropods.  Shrimp and lobsters are on my "No Way In Hell" list.  Spiders (which are neither insects nor crustaceans) are too.

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Shrimp and lobsters are on my "No Way In Hell" list.

So you're not coming for this year's kräftskiva then?

Karftskiva6-foto-Nurlan-Emir-1240-880x36

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.