For a empty home howmany minimum prims

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you purchase premium membership, it comes with a small home with around 350 prims or so depending on the neighbourhood you choose. (If that's an option for you) 

Otherwise, there are in game real estate companies and what not. A friend just rented land from one called AMEstate. The bigger the land and the more prims you rent, the higher the price is going to be, so it's really going to depend on what you're financially able to do. 

If you're not able to do that, there are sandbox regions that you can rez your stuff, or you can hit me up in game. You're welcome to rez your stuff on my land til you find something you like 🙂

• Like 2

Like most questions, yours has an "it all depends" answer.  

If you are a Premium member, you are entitled to a "free" Linden Home that sits on a 1024 sq m parcel and has a prim allowance of 351 L.I.  The house is not counted in that L.I. allowance, so you can use the entire allowance for furnishings and decoration.  The parcel and home are "free" because they are included in your Premium membership.

If you are a Premium member, you could use your land fee waiver instead to pay for the monthly land fees on any parcel up to 1024 sq m. that you buy on the Mainland.  You'd have to pay the initial purchase price of the parcel, but the waiver would cover any ongoing costs.  Land costs vary, but count on something in the vicinity of L$1/sq m.  Look at listings in the LAND forums to get an idea of what's available.

You can build your own house with only the building tools in your viewer.  Unless you are fairly skilled, though, you probably won't be satisfied.  I suggest visiting any of the excellent home builders that you can find with your Search tool (or in Marketplace), to get a feel for the quality and price of a good home.  Pay attention to the price, Land Impact, and the home's footprint (sq m shape/size) so you know how big a parcel you will need.  That will tell you how big a parcel you will need to buy or rent for it.  Do not buy any house without looking at a demo in world.

• Like 1

It is hard to find empty homes to rent in SL unless you go premium (not that there are not any, but there are far fewer). There you get one as part of your membership. I find their 351LI allowance to be adequate for furnishing their house as long as I am not placing high land impact things. You also get a weekly stipend you can spend anywhere and that is helpful when it comes to buying things to furnish it. 

You can find plenty of empty affordable land and place down your own home. You can find houses of all styles, sizes etc for sale. How many LI/prims you need to furnish it well really depends on the size of the house and land. You can do lovely things with smaller parcels.

3 minutes ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

I found skybox with 7 prims 10, 20, 30 prims... just a plateform. And I thought that would be fun to create a home but no idea if 7 prims is 7 houses or if 7 prims is 1 room. My question is how many prims is the minimum to create something

Go around a shop you like, right click to bring up the edit menu so you can view the land impact-prims of any- each object.

there are shops that create items from just one prim for say a bed, but it’s not going to be as detailed as a bed from other shops, which could have beds around 10, 20 or 200 prims.  

There’s no cookie cutter answer for you, it all just depends.  Spend a week window shopping, viewing the information available, you can begin to see what you like, and get decorating ideas.

You could also look on the marketplace, most shops provide the prim- land impact info in their ads.

6 minutes ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

I found skybox with 7 prims 10, 20, 30 prims... just a plateform. And I thought that would be fun to create a home but no idea if 7 prims is 7 houses or if 7 prims is 1 room. My question is how many prims is the minimum to create something

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Primitive#:~:text=A primitive%2C or prim%2C is a single-part object.,are made out of one or more prims.

Good to begin at the beginning.

How many prims you can use for any home depends on how many prims.the land you are on allows you to have.  

18 minutes ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

I thought that would be fun to create a home but no idea if 7 prims is 7 houses or if 7 prims is 1 room. My question is how many prims is the minimum to create something

"Prims" is the old accounting system, basically measuring the number of basic building blocks (the kind that any SL resident can create with the tools in the viewer) there are in an object.  These days, that's not a very useful measure.  Instead, we use an accounting system based on Land Impact, which is a measure of how much server support it takes to have the object in world.  Prims are roughly equivalent to L.I., but only roughly.  As Pixie said, the smart thing to do is to shop for things carefully, paying attention to how much land impact each object you look at will use.  Try to get demo items or shop in world if you can, so that you can see the actual object, not just a picture of it. Go for the lowest L.I. you can, remembering that often low L.I. can also mean lower quality, so you will need to compromise.  Until you have some experience, try to find low cost or free items while you get the hang of things.

Every bit of land in SL is capable of supporting a specific amount of Land Impact -- that's called the land's L.I. Allowance.  As a landowner or renter, your goal is to keep the total L.I. of all objects on your land below the Allowed value (which you can see by standing on the land and opening World >>> About Land >>> Objects).

Edited by Rolig Loon
Additional information

55 minutes ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

7 prims will not get you a house or room. You will maybe be able to put a chair down. A prim (land impact is what it is actually called now) is not an object itself but the weight of the object you are putting down. Every object has an impact based on it's complexity and scripts. Some are only 1 LI and most are much more. You can find small houses around 20 LI (prim). At minimum you would need  . . . ummm . . . maybe 100 if you put down a low impact house that was very small (maybe only one room) and some low impact furniture.

• Like 1

If you build the kind of house using only inworld tools that @Rolig Loon says you might not be very happy with, you can build a house for under 5Li. Maybe 10 to 15 if you're being less conservative and want to add some rooms. If you want to add windows and a few niceties to that, 30~50li (if you're really good at image editing, you could add windows to your wall texture which would get you back into the 5~10 li range)

I made a skybox with a living room, a kitchen, a bathroom and a bedroom on a single 512m2 parcel. Single LI furniture is amazing. I was able to fill each room completely. The skybox  itself was made out of a bunch of rectangles and I think it was about 40 prims but I linked everything I could and set them to convex hull. I also added another bedroom later.

Edited by Bree Giffen
mistakes were made

Each object in SL has a value of how complex or how big it is, this is called "Land Impact" It used to be called "prims" before mesh was a thing, and when you're renting land, it's about the same thing. How much you need depends on what you want to achieve.

A typical sofa or bed will be about 5-10. A typical complete kitchen will be 25-50.   Furnishing one small room with one couch, one bed and one or two cabinets will be about 20. Furnishing a skybox without a kitchen will take about 100.  Fully furnishing a four- or five-room house as it might look in RL with a kitchen and a garden on a 1024m size plot will take around 300. You can do it for less with single-LI furniture but if you do that you'll be much more limited in what you can achieve.

If you are renting an empty skybox, or a parcel of land that's completely empty, or with an unfurnished house, most rentals are from L$1 per LI per week. So for example if you have a small skybox with 100 LI available, it will cost you L$100 per week.  If the house or skybox is furnished or the land is well-landscaped, it will cost more; up to L$1.5 per LI would be reasonable. If the land is part of an active community or roleplay group, expect to pay L$2 per LI or more.

Don't forget also if the land you're renting is completely empty, you need to allow some LI for the house or skybox too. A typical skybox will be 1-3 LI for a simple plain square box, up to 20-30 or so for one that looks like an apartment. A house on the ground will be more, depending on size but don't expect to find much for less than 40. So you need to add that to the furnishings and landscaping that you need.

12 hours ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

how many prims is the minimum to create something

One.  Click create and rez a prim.  It's that simple.  It just might not be the greatest-looking creation, but it is something.  You're kinda asking the same question as "what's the minimum amount of pixels to make a digital picture?"  Technically it's just one.  But don't expect much.

Now, if you want the lowest-prim self-created house, and if you are indeed a minimalist, and don't care about a roof, you can build, with just one prim, a house up to 64m by 64m by 64m.  Use the Create function in your viewer to rez a cube, stretch it to the desired size, set "Hollow" to its max setting.  Viola, you know live in a giant plywood box.  Fly in/TP in/jump in, or play with the controls to create an opening to walk through.  I'm not going to tell you specifically how to do that, as it's best if you get comfortable fiddling around with the controls just for fun and to teach yourself basic building.  Then play around with Texture and Select Face if the default plywood is TOO minimalist.

OR, you could go the "buy it" route, as suggested by others above.  It's YOUR Second Life, so the choice is yours.  Welcome to your new world!  🙂

P.S.  As to the minimum amount of land you can have, that would be 16 m2, (4m x 4m).  The prim count/Li for that would be six, I think.  In which case you really would want to create your own 1-prim shack, to have prims left for furniture. 😄

On 6/1/2021 at 6:32 PM, Gabriel Isodo said:

I would like to rent an empty home. I don't want to pay a lot. I am begining in this world. What is your advice to create a minimalist home. How many prims do I need ? And how much does that cost.

For a minimalist home on a small** parcel with an unfurnished house or skybox, I'd say 100 prims (officially it's called "Land Impact" now) would be a modest but practical amount, for which you ought to be paying between L$100 and L$130 per week (more if its waterfront or part of a community). Less than 100 will probably leave you disappointed and wanting more and if the house itself is not included, you should probably start looking at 150 prims, for L$150 to L$200 per week.  

A furnished home will give you less prims to add (typically 20 or 25) but it won't matter as much because most of what you need will be there already; you'll pay less overall but more per-prim for a furnished house. You can probably pick up something furnished with 20 prims to spare for L$50 per week. There are some really basic skyboxes for rent for REALLY low rentals, like L$20 a week, they typically give you a skybox furnished with almost nothing, and probably 5 prims of your own to add. They're often stacked several dozen high in one parcel so you'll be sharing the land with a lot of other people. 

** By small, I mean around 300 to 512 sq.m, not the silly little 16 sq.m things that are good for nothing but an ad-board and a tree.

On 6/1/2021 at 11:09 AM, Mercedes Avon said:

It is hard to find empty homes to rent in SL unless you go premium (not that there are not any, but there are far fewer).

Just wanted to disagree. There area TONS of nice rental houses available for non-premium folks. I have lived in many of them from the 50 land impact winter getaway (post linked above by Eddy) to ones with 1500 prims plus gorgeous houses. 

For a small house  I agree that 100 li can be very workable if you are careful. Fifty (as many of us found out last winter) is tricky :D 

And so far as the 7 prims (I am going with land impact) won't get you a house. I lived in a a very nice one many years ago. The rent was 90 lindens a week I think.   

home-exteriror.jpg

https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2014/11/90-prims.html

There is the article.  And prices for the most part have gone DOWN since then LOL (and profits too *wink*)

So spend some time looking around. Check the classifieds and the Marketplace ads and the LAND FORUM here (where I have found a lot of great places to live over the years.  Some small places are only 25 lindens and now and then they are free :D.

I just went over to my last (big deal bargain) rental area (besides the LOVELY winter cabins and skyboxes) and while the house that I lived in is more expensive now, there are some nice ones on a plaza that can be homes or shops or shops with homes above.  

Forums are acting up alas --- They are 100 a week and 200 land impact (building doesn't count).

image.thumb.png.47ddae0f244d0088833ee02369bafdef.png

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Xenosaur/134/81/63

Edited by Chic Aeon
web posted my post before I hit enter -- HMMMM
  • Like 1

Last year when I got back to SL I looked at lots of places to rent. I have my mainland but usually I like to rent on a beach sim. Found some good places with rentals with empty homes that could be returned if you want to put your own. 

How many prims depends a lot in what you want to do and how much you want to spend, less than 300 is tricky, but doable, for a 2 bedroom house. 

I'm not in anyway related with these places, I just had good experiences there,  I rented for quite some time in Lionheart and liked it a lot, the plots came with empty houses (I replaced with my own) and we got double prims. GlenXi estates also provides empty houses I think . ATM I'm renting at Koala Beach, but the houses are furnished. 

Edited by Tary Allen
Typos

I've rented on and off in SL for about 15 years.  I have not been here the whole 15 years.  I have never been a premium member.   I find my places by typing 'cheap rental' in the inworld search, and then possibly 'cheap land', cheap skybox', etc and I've always found something good.  For my current home I have a sky platform with 200 LI for 200 lindens a week.  A sky platform is empty but I could put a home or a skybox with about 60 prims and have 140 prims left to decorate the home.  Trompe L'oeil has some nice small homes to buy that are about 50-60 LI for the home itself.  To the OP, you should visit Butterfly Hollow to see what a beautiful landscaped sim with home rentals looks like in SL but Butterfly Hollow while not expensive is not cheap either but if you landscape your place it takes a lot of prims to do that.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.