Attention LL marketing - IMVU is after you

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

You're allowed to have adult furniture on moderate land.  Anyone under the age of 18 is only allowed access to General areas.  

But how does it know how old a newbie is?  Why was he allowed on moderate land as a 3-day old avi?  I thought perhaps he had an alt and was gifting himself these items.  I don't know but it was weird.  I don't get involved with slex so it's Greek to me.  

13 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

But how does it know how old a newbie is?  Why was he allowed on moderate land as a 3-day old avi?  I thought perhaps he had an alt and was gifting himself these items.  I don't know but it was weird.  I don't get involved with slex so it's Greek to me.  

If you state your age as over 18 when you sign up and set your preferences to include G, M and A, you can go anywhere and buy anything.  Day one.

ETA. Unless the specific parcel only allows avatars over 30 days or some such restriction.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

But how does it know how old a newbie is?  Why was he allowed on moderate land as a 3-day old avi? 

For the most part, SL doesn't care how old an avatar account is.  A 3-day old avatar is only restricted in a few ways --- LL restricts how much US $ can be spent and many places (but not all) require avatars to be at least 30-days old.  As long as the person claimed to be 18 or older on sign-up the avatar can go anywhere in SL, including Moderate and Adult locations, on day one --- unless the specific place is not allowing accounts under 30 days old.  That is up to the parcel owners though and is not an SL rule.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

For the most part, SL doesn't care how old an avatar account is.  A 3-day old avatar is only restricted in a few ways --- LL restricts how much US $ can be spent and many places (but not all) require avatars to be at least 30-days old.  As long as the person claimed to be 18 or older on sign-up the avatar can go anywhere in SL, including Moderate and Adult locations, on day one --- unless the specific place is not allowing accounts under 30 days old.  That is up to the parcel owners though and is not an SL rule.

SL might not care. But a whole lot of land owners and people do.

Newbies are terrorists first, Alts second and unwilling suckers third.

If only you couldn't see the age of accounts on a certain viewers radar, newbies might be able to have nice things.

14 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

SL users have demonstrated that they will go to extremes for a few free L$. There is no way free L$ wouldn't be gamed, automated, farmed and sold for free profits.

I have a question about this.  We know many things are gamed even in real life.  A person recently got 2 million illegal dollars from the stimulus in America.

But, let me go back to this hypothetical idea of the eggs and a Linden Egg terminal where one could redeem and/or cash out for some lindens.

What if it were scripted so that the eggs would only respond to the owner of the Linden Egg terminal?  Since we cannot replicate a username, then a scammer couldn't have Linden Egg terminals in their name and the eggs would not respond.   And, the eggs could only be redeemed on say (hypothetical) Linden Egg Island.  

But, as far as the eggs themselves, are you saying they could just be copy-botted?  Hmmmm, well then, maybe the eggs expire in say one month's time and then new winning color sequences generate or something like that.  Or what could be in the eggs themselves so they cannot be copy-botted?  I also suggested that the eggs be scripted in some way so they only generate one per username.

This is a bit different idea than Realms because it could be grid-wide and maybe fun if it could be figured out.  

3 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Also, I've said, it's better to sell 2 or 3 of something at a cheaper price than none because you are making the money.  If one sells two at a lower price, it's still the 5K.  If one sells none at a higher price, it's none.   But, this topic is for another thread.

It is NOT solely about the price point. If you follow this subject as closely as I do (which you clearly don't) then you would realise that there are many more reasons other than "Oh, this brand is cheaper than the other brands" why people buy (and - crucially - recommend) specific head brands. With that belief in mind, you are asking this particular creator to swim upriver by selling twice as many items in a market that currently leans heavily against their brand in multiple ways; price being only a small part of that.

But since you clearly want to stop that line of thought in its tracks I will, as you desire, shut up about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

With that belief in mind, you are asking this particular creator to swim upriver by selling twice as many items in a market that currently leans heavily against their brand in multiple ways; price being only a small part of that.

But since you clearly want to stop that line of thought in its tracks I will, as you desire, shut up about it.

I'm not trying to shut you up really but it is off topic a bit as many say IMVU is cheaper but IMVU being cheaper or even having 4000 credits does not lure me in as I've checked IMVU and it's not for me even with 20000 credits.  So, I do understand that cheaper does not always equate to a sale but we are living in rather unusual times so I had been thinking about what is the plan B or even C overall for many creators in SL.  But, I think there is no way to know how retail in SL is going to do until a great many of us get vaccinated.  

Edited by FairreLilette

On 1/27/2021 at 6:22 PM, animats said:

IMVU pitch: "Avoid FOMO and Get It!"

This is what some people get searching for Second Life.

IMVU's landing page is cooler than SL's landing page. Second Life's landing page now requires a full signup, including date of birth, permission to spam, and a CAPCHA, to find out anything about Second Life. The marketing funnel is upside down.

No wonder we see so few new users at the new user entry points.

As long as IMVU has 25 "QAnon" propaganda items in it´s sales (search) catalog it´s not an option for me. Nor should it be one for anyone else with a working brain.

Edited by Vivienne Schell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

SL might not care. But a whole lot of land owners and people do.

Newbies are terrorists first, Alts second and unwilling suckers third.

If only you couldn't see the age of accounts on a certain viewers radar, newbies might be able to have nice things.

Might be time to (finally) scratch the "Account Age" from profiles. Displaying that never really made much sense, and apparently neither "newbies" nor "oldies" feel comfortable with this feature anymore.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

It is NOT solely about the price point. If you follow this subject as closely as I do (which you clearly don't) then you would realise that there are many more reasons other than "Oh, this brand is cheaper than the other brands" why people buy (and - crucially - recommend) specific head brands. With that belief in mind, you are asking this particular creator to swim upriver by selling twice as many items in a market that currently leans heavily against their brand in multiple ways; price being only a small part of that.

Price point has never been the reason for me purchasing a specific head.  Genus could drop the price to 500L and I still wouldn't buy one.  I used Catwa since the beginning and only in the last year, changed to Lelutka.  It wasn't because I wanted or needed to change but there came a point when so few creators were making new skins for Catwa.  It was overtaken by Genus for the most part.  It was only after Lelutka made the Nuri head that I switched.  I may look into the newer Catwa heads as the place I get my skins has a lovely one specifically for it.  

I don't collect heads so price isn't a determining factor for me.  I'm more than happy to support content creators.  It could be their only source of income.  What I choose to spend is discretionary spending and hardly a must have.  I also wouldn't buy 2 heads just because they were 1/2 price.

Btw, thanks for the update on your blog about IKON!

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I also wouldn't buy 2 heads just because they were 1/2 price.

When I said sell two or three heads at a lower price is better than none, I didn't mean the income for the two heads would come from the same person but rather two different people may be interested in buying at that lowered price.  So two people would make up the same one person cost price is my reasoning.   

With coronavirus, things are changing but it's too early to say what would "stimulate" the SL economy overall as we all need to be vaccinated first AND for it to work before we see the light of day here.  

I do sometimes think SL needs some kind of "stimulus" but there is no one way formula to do that.  We do all, in fact, purchase differently as well as having our own unique income which may or may not be effected currently due to the coronavirus situation.  

Edited by FairreLilette

2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

But we all know most of sexual RP goes on in IM.  Completely private between the 2 people involved.  Just the fact a 50 year old has access to a 13 year old presents a problem IMO.

Probably. Fortunately SL solves that problem by being such a complicated mess. An average 13 years old has better things to do than learning how to get that darned thing going at all. Hehe.

1 hour ago, Vivienne Schell said:

As long as IMVU has 25 "QAnon" propaganda items in it´s sales (search) catalog it´s not an option for me. Nor should it be one for anyone else with a working brain.

IMVU is all about user-created content, same as SL.

SL has Q Anon stuff as well, even on the Marketplace.

Are you saying you should quit SL or your brain isn't working? 🤔

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

This is what I dearly wish S/L would have for both dressing up and shopping. It just makes the process so much easier. Note the UNDO and REDO buttons. Huge time and frustration savers when wanting to go back to a previous item instead of endless searching and trying to remember the name of it.

4drQoX6srC.jpg

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 11:06 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Ahhh - those links just aren't "in your face" as much as the SL ones.  

Overall, I think that IMVU is likely a better "social" platform.  I've never logged in there, but isn't it more like Sinespace and Sansar where everything is basically in disconnected rooms?  I mean, can you just start walking / driving / flying over the entire world?  That is what I didn't like about Sansar and Sinespace, and thus one of the things that keeps me in SL.

I'm always looking for open world sandboxes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world#Open_world,_sandbox_games,_and_emergent_gameplay

On 1/27/2021 at 11:10 AM, Amina Sopwith said:

Was I missing something with IMVU? I tried it out ages ago and it seemed to be all about dating, which didn't interest me. When I finally got past the sign up process, it put me in a room with a male av who immediately left. I'm the first to admit I'm not very technical, so was I missing something?

Not a thing. I tried it long ago myself. It wasn't an open world or even a sandbox. When I found out Anshe had her fingers in that pie, too, I left and never went back. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

SL allows far more customization in how your avatar is set up than IMVU. So much so that any simple one size fits all wouldn't actually work for us.

That´ts not the issue. The issue is that Second Life never was thought to be a playground for people who either miss their Barbies or people who prefer a virtual Barbie for the real Barbie, cause dealing with a virtual Barbie feels "grown up".

18 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

SL users have demonstrated that they will go to extremes for a few free L$. There is no way free L$ wouldn't be gamed, automated, farmed and sold for free profits.

This is partly why I suggested a a secondary currency in 2018

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/424997-should-sl-have-a-secondary-100-in-game-currency/

Specifically to create some free "fun money" that had most immediate value to new players .. but nooooo, everyone hated that idea.🙄

That's because Anshe tried it back in 2005/6 or so. She wanted to introduce Anshe Dollars based on RL silver. Those were fun threads on the forum.

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

IMVU is all about user-created content, same as SL.

SL has Q Anon stuff as well, even on the Marketplace.

Are you saying you should quit SL or your brain isn't working? 🤔

So far the match is 25:3. IMVU is the clear winner. Also, IMVU apparently makes more money by promoting and distributing such crap on their platform than Linden Lab, judged by the prices for these...cough..."products".

Well, if companies like Linden Lab and IMVU - or whatever social media platforms there are  - refuse to get their act together sufficiently and continue with tolerating of, promoting of, and benefitting financially by potential terrorist threats (FBI) the inavoidably upcoming (much broader) legislative regulations will not only finish these companies, but also everyone who uses their platforms.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Might be time to (finally) scratch the "Account Age" from profiles. Displaying that never really made much sense, and apparently neither "newbies" nor "oldies" feel comfortable with this feature anymore.

It's never bothered me. I like having that info. There are some days I'm not up to dealing with longtime residents much less someone new. 

Why does it always come down to punishing everyone just to be able to punish the few that are actually guilty. ☹️

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.