Should SL have a secondary 100% in game currency ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Should second life have a secondary currency that can not be bought or sold for real USD? Lets call them GEMS with L$ as the premium currency. GEMS are in addition to the existing L$ economy. There should be no way to directly purchase GEMS from LL.

X's are use to give an indication of scale, not to denote specific amounts. X Individual, XX tens of, XXX hundreds of .. etc

Linden based sources (Getting GEMS)

The number of GEMS issued doesn't need to be large. 

• All residents are given XX GEMS a week providing they meet minimum activity requirements. Log in X hours, move about, communicate etc. (Bots get nothing).
  • Premium members get XXX GEMS a week
  • Existing Linden mini games (Horizons etc)
  • Positive participation in the community (Forum posts that gain reputation)
  • Completion of basic platform educationalo achievements. XX for creating your first prim. XX for adding your first profile picture
  • Use of testing viewers on the beta grid.
  • Almost anything really.

Linden sinks (Spending GEMS)

The cost of Linden rewards/items/etc in GEMS can be quite high as they have zero value outside of SL. Their real value is the inter-resident participation, engagement and platform use they bring.

• 1% reduction on a months Teir payment for every XXX GEMS returned to LL
  • Promoted positioning for a location in search, marketplace or classified listing. (XXX)
  • Texture or mesh uploads
  • Special rewards or limited access to premium perks

Resident to resident sinks

A little reward can go a long way.

• Residents can exchange GEMS between each other in the same was as L$, this includes offering scripted interfaces, vendors, selling time and services, everything they do with L$ now.
  • Rewarding visitors to your parcel or event, or for playing your game.
  • For joining your group.
  • For placing your location in their picks.
  • Business that need a resident source of GEMS to fund rewards can sell some items they currently charge L$ for or would give away.
  • Sell regular content for XXXXX GEMS
  • First one to XXXXXXX GEMS
  • Gaming with GEMS .. probably isn't covered under gambling rules.

The benefit to residents depends a lot on their time spent in SL. New users can use them as a way to get started, participate in SL and getting exposure to exchanging a currency for content and participation. Established L$ using residents can burn them reducing teir, getting a few free textures a week or promoting their interests. There will be a desire to spend them, which invariably will involve doing something. 

I know of a few places that run two tier sort of arrangements (got some tied up which are useless to me before I realised). TBH, with no monetary value (doubt my landlord would take them for rent for example) then no, no interest. Having a dual vending system . not even going to try to think that through (unless someone wants to do the needed parallel LSL stuffs)

4 minutes ago, mikka Luik said:

I know of a few places that run two tier sort of arrangements (got some tied up which are useless to me before I realised). TBH, with no monetary value (doubt my landlord would take them for rent for example) then no, no interest. Having a dual vending system . not even going to try to think that through (unless someone wants to do the needed parallel LSL stuffs)

Hence them being usable as a teir discount .. your landlord might be interested in taking stacks of them off your hands.

22 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

As with similar "laws" (e.g., Murphy's law), it is intended to be humorous rather than the literal truth.

So was Schrodinger's Cat but the rest of the world took him literally.

----

On topic, I could see this as a way to make a cross genre RP monetary system but since LL makes money off of buying and selling L$, I don't think it would have much support from them.

• Haha 1

The goal isnt so much for them to make money, it's doubtful any such system would do that directly. The point is more to enable a secondary economy that's routed in people doing rather than people having. More doing certainly wouldn't hurt SL, and any reward, even a fundamentally worthless token one is still going to be welcome.

Managing sinks so they match sources and present something of value to a section of the community who do carry the burden of SL's costs is the only real balancing act, the sources can rain GEMS like like were running around playing Sonic... and we totally would .. it would probably be fun

Bletaverse, or something close to being spelled like that...  was a ‘run/TP around collecting token’ activity. Basically to draw avi’s to different sims in form of traffic and advertising. Think they had a mobile app for it even. Don’t know if they’re still operating, may be out there in SL land.  

There was another ‘frieght hauling/delivery’ game for points or tokens too. Don’t recall name if it at all

I saw this right after it was posted but wanted to think on it for an ACTUAL answer :D.

While well thought out, it seems to me that it would take too much management time to be of interest in to The Lab.  I have had some pretty good ideas over the years, and they too were too much work for perceived outcome.  

I can't see that I would be interested in it personally from any angle, BUT a game LIKE THE REALMS where folks could win tokens THAT WERE WORTH SOMETHING INWORLD (my proposal some months back) would likely be welcome. It seems like people end up trying to collect coins (and that oftentimes not working for whatever reason) and give up since they have no money.  The prizes in the current Linden games are fine for "collectors" but they don't get folks items that they might want like shoes or hair.   

So agree in general that there is a NEED, just not sure how an easy enough fix might be made to satisfy the corporate types :D. 

My thought with the realms prizes would be for those of us with tokens to burn could just buy the collectibles we wanted with them and not have to grind the game over and over, to then play a gatcha. 

From a technical perspective, the implementation should mostly just be a duplication of L$ processing code which is very mature at this point, the bulk of the work on the labs side would by applying them as meaningful discounts and balancing sinks and sources. For us it would be integration into everything we do with L$ now, considerably more work on face value .. but as everyone uses casper (etc) really it might just be as simple as rezzing a new vendor and adding a secondary price to some items in stores and on the SLM. Probably less of a nightmare than updating everything for BoM (and way less than Bento)

(If the lab took it up, I would be happy to write & contribute all the viewer side code & UI to them)

7 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Should second life have a secondary currency

No. Stupid idea.

All residents are given XX GEMS a week providing they meet minimum activity requirements.

No. "Attention Citizen, you do not participate enough in SL to be allowed to participate in SL..." No.

Premium members get XXX GEMS a week

NO!

Positive participation in the community (Forum posts that gain reputation)

No. Most SL users don't even know the forum exists, let alone come here.

Use of testing viewers on the beta grid.

Oh HELL No! Most SL users do not have access to the damn beta grid, and beta viewers are beta for a bloody good reason.

So far what I'm mostly seeing is "Entitlement Club members of the weekly secret lick-a-linden meetings get loadsa free stuffs!".

I've been on systems with multiple currencies...

They are a bloody PITA, and generally divisive, even more divisive than the existing single currency.

It would just end up as "Hey noob, we let you pretend you have a kind of game money, but you don't, only elite people like us have real game money".

They already have "fake L$" on noob island, that you earn doing dumb tutorial tasks, but which you cant use anywhere but the noob island store to buy worthless crap you'll throw away within an hour of leaving noob island.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It would be nice to have some expanded uses for my glytch-catching gems.  Using them for texture uploads would certainly get me playing more.  And the more I'm in SL the more likely I am to find something I want to spend real USD on.

• Like 2

I'm not sure that a secondary in-game currency would add enough value in SL to justify it's existence. It would add another level of complexity for users on top of an already complex world. SL should be getting simpler and friendlier for users. LL needs to make buying/selling linden dollars as easy as possible.

1 hour ago, MegaRose said:

It would be nice to have some expanded uses for my glytch-catching gems.  Using them for texture uploads would certainly get me playing more.  And the more I'm in SL the more likely I am to find something I want to spend real USD on.

i vote for this way

Is nice and simple and adds some known and tangible reward for spending time playing in-world in a constructive way. Constructive meaning we don't get rewards from gaming the system type activities

• Like 1

I don't get it - wouldn't residents simply trade GEMs? Like cigarettes in postwar-Europe? Also: if GEMs cannot be traded on lindex creators have (almost) no use for them...

PS: we also kinda have them, many breedables or inworld games already have a secondary currency: blood, souls, energy crystals, kitten$ ... you name it

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.