Attention LL marketing - IMVU is after you

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1174 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, RowanMinx said:

I've never been.  So, it theoretically could work.  I like the idea of the fact it could be grid-wide.  Others will, of course, hate it though, that it could be grid-wide.  LOL

SL users have demonstrated that they will go to extremes for a few free L$. There is no way free L$ wouldn't be gamed, automated, farmed and sold for free profits.

This is partly why I suggested a a secondary currency in 2018

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/424997-should-sl-have-a-secondary-100-in-game-currency/

Specifically to create some free "fun money" that had most immediate value to new players .. but nooooo, everyone hated that idea.🙄

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are they after LL or are they after the users of SL? I think most people wouldn't find IMVU compelling it all, it's like a cartoon and very limited.

If they're after people who haven't yet seen SL or have seen it briefly and it didn't compel them or they couldn't get it to work, understood.

People don't always respond to negative advertising.

On the other hand, when Anshe Chung became less active in SL, one of the other businesses she started as related to IMVU. Maybe merchants can do better there, even if users can't take credits out.

S/L unlike Imvu has a large freebie market. There is nothing free there other then the Promo credits which can be picked up in various ways and used to purchase items on the marketplace there. The Promo credits have no value for the creators who receive them for the products they sell. Credits there have a comparative value of about 1/2 of that of a Linden. So a product costing 250 L$ would be approximately 500 credits there. 

Though it is mainly aimed at teens, there is a fair amount of adults there. The chat room and products have ratings like the General and Adult here. Only those who have purchased an 18+ Access Pass (AP) can access or even see Adult clothing, products and rooms. 

The quality of the avatars is good there for the people who spend the money. Just like here in S/L. Secondlife avatars and content has surged ahead in the last few years but for a long time it was my opinion that Imvu had the better ones.

Imvu in general is much easier to use though it does not have all the options available to the typical S/L user but it does have some nice ones not available to the s/l user. In general the concurrency there is well over double that of S/L. The lab could learn a few things from Imvu.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:
12 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I signed up in IMVU once but that game is totally broken. I could not get to walk my avatar even a single inch, no matter what I tried, WASD, arrow keys, game controller, Thrustmaster HOTAS F/A-18 flight stick, nothing worked. Needless to say, I binned the client.

IMVU doesn't have "walking around" or free movement of any kind.

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

I was also being sarcastic, of course.

I tried IMVU back in 2007, around the time I signed up for SL. (Back then, the TM HOTAS wasn't even invented for another 12 years.)

Not being able to walk in IMVU is 1 of 100 compelling reasons to ditch IMVU. Among other reasons: it's infested with12 year-olds.

I'm just completely baffled by the OP's notion that IMVU could even start to compete with SL in any meaningful way whatsoever.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

. The chat room and products have ratings like the General and Adult here. Only those who have purchased an 18+ Access Pass (AP) can access or even see Adult clothing, products and rooms. 

But nothing to keep the adults away from the children?  That's problematic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

There is also the issue of, how does LL prevent people from making alt after alt to get credits? I presume they could probably track who does the tutorial and check against the ID0 and recently rewarded IP addresses.

Unless something has changed since the last time I was at noob island, upon completing certain tasks about movement etc, you are given a special Linden Token currency (not linden dollars). That currency can only be spent at the vendors at the end of noob island, is only provided to you once per avatar and are spent on things like basic clothes etc.

All that would need to happen is LL approach various mesh body, clothing makers etc and have them have a vendor at noob island with whatever those creators want to supply (but has to be optimised items). Doesn't need to be all their listings but could be a limited feature mesh body (literally a BoM body to wear over the default avatar and have no other features like hud etc), a couple of good hairstyles or a small selection if clothing. All of those purchasable by the same tokens that are given out at the moment and offer a free LM to the main inworld store of each creator.

LL can either then do a direct transfer of Lindens to those creators for 'x' tokens spent but those creators are charged for the privilege (free advertising) of having a vendor at noob island or offer the products for free with no Linden reimbursement but don't get charged for the privilege of being on noob island. Either or. The could even have a rotating vendor system where one week it is an item from 'creator a' and the next week from 'creator b'.

Noob island can then still offer the same learning system except greatly improved by having either a large mall at the end of the tutorial or have each area incorporated into the learning tutorial such as how to use BoM. For example, watch inworld video tutorial that auto plays on how BoM works, allows for an interactable BoM display (animesh avatars you can change via either a experience hud or inworld menu) and upon completion of the video and interacting you get credits to spend on a vendor at that stage that gives a body and skin for you to get used to BoM and then keep after until you are ready to upgrade to a full feature body.

The system is already in place at noob island to do all of this just needs LL to actually approach creators to supply the items.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Did you even read Chic Aeon's post?  Do you get it that creator's incomes are way down.

And yet in this thread you mentioned (twice) that you would only buy an 'older Catwa head' if it was L$2,500, because L$5,000 is too expensive. That's 95% of her entire Bento head product line that you want her to just halve the price of because you want one of them. Her even older heads are already much cheaper than that, but this is almost her entire main product line and income that you want slashed in half.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Before you all abandon SL and join IMFU, beware! I've had an IMFU account since 2009 and 4000 credits is jack squat. If it's "promo credits" the creators get 1 "dev token" which is worth about 10 credits per item purchased. Every single thing costs about 500 credits so, you might be able to get 8-10 things and to even begin creating content will cost you real money. Nobody is going to look amazing with 4000 credits worth of junk. You get way more quality free stuff in SL if you look around, join a few groups and read some blogs. As far as adult content goes, on IMFU the avatars in couples poses can't even be "touching" in the pelvis area and erect thingies will get you banned.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

If you really want to give it a try ... you'll need to use WINE or Lutris.

I got those.  WINE is good for the SL viewer to use Havok for upload, and not much else. 

But no, I have no inclination if they don't make a native Linux download.  Long ago I decided to be a Microsoft-free-zone.  I extended that to Apple, Facebook, and recently, Google.  Although Google is proving more difficult (android...)  Anti-trust Mega-corpse will not get me.

4 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

The system is already in place at noob island to do all of this just needs LL to actually approach creators to supply the items.

Is there even a new folks island any more? Is it back? Yes, there were some things to buy long long ago but those disappeared for other inboarding measures. Can someone verify there are things to buy when new these days or even an newbie area experience?  That is not the  idea that I get from comments made by new folks.  

AND.  I am not sure that many people have actually read aniimats OP comment.   He never said anything about anyone here going over to IMVU. 

The POINT as "I" take it anyway is that LL has been loosing market share in that age group.  We know that new sign ups are way down and this could certainly be part of the problem.   

And yes, it  seems obvious (beyond my circle of creator friends) that most creator's are hurting. SL has more sales and sales venues than we have ever had before. Good if you are a shopper but it also gets folks into that "if it isn't on sale I won't buy it" frame of mind.  Honestly, I am trying HARD to spend the lindens I make and still that theme is beginning to percolate in my brain also.   That is not good for the long run -- for anyone. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Hardware id,  you can not change a few hardware id's, I'm not saying which ones, but there are certain ones that are logged by the client that you can not physically change,  even with linux.

No such thing as an unspoofable ID. *Especially* not with an open source client. :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

And yet in this thread you mentioned (twice) that you would only buy an 'older Catwa head' if it was L$2,500, because L$5,000 is too expensive. That's 95% of her entire Bento head product line that you want her to just halve the price of because you want one of them. Her even older heads are already much cheaper than that, but this is almost her entire main product line and income that you want slashed in half.

As far as what's happening for creator's now is the coronavirus fallout.  How long that will be here and how worse it could get.  I don't know.  

Also, I've said, it's better to sell 2 or 3 of something at a cheaper price than none because you are making the money.  If one sells two at a lower price, it's still the 5K.  If one sells none at a higher price, it's none.   But, this topic is for another thread.

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

As far as what's happening for creator's now is the coronavirus fallout. 

Not totally, though there is likely some of that in the mix.

As Chic says, there are more and more sales every week - and creators putting more items into many of the sales events (have you seen how many Secret Sunday vendors some stores are putting out now?).  This does play with the mindset and it becomes circular from there. 

Why should I pay full price for anything when more than likely it will be on sale soon -- or something equivalent will be.  With a month's time or maybe a bit longer, I can buy a house, furnish it, landscape it and not have had to pay more than L$100 for any single item, including the house -- and in many cases I'll only have to pay L$25-L$50 for most of the stuff.  Ditto for lots of clothing & accessories.  Granted, I won't be getting the newest items from the creator in the sales, but as long as I'm okay with not always have the latest shiny then all will be good.

Then, the more that people buy the sale stuff instead of the regular priced stuff, the more things the creator puts on sale in order to get business.   Rinse, repeat - round and round we go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hunny Heartsong said:

As far as adult content goes, on IMFU the avatars in couples poses can't even be "touching" in the pelvis area and erect thingies will get you banned.

But we all know most of sexual RP goes on in IM.  Completely private between the 2 people involved.  Just the fact a 50 year old has access to a 13 year old presents a problem IMO.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not totally, though there is likely some of that in the mix.

As Chic says, there are more and more sales every week - and creators putting more items into many of the sales events (have you seen how many Secret Sunday vendors some stores are putting out now?).  This does play with the mindset and it becomes circular from there. 

Why should I pay full price for anything when more than likely it will be on sale soon -- or something equivalent will be.  With a month's time or maybe a bit longer, I can buy a house, furnish it, landscape it and not have had to pay more than L$100 for any single item, including the house -- and in many cases I'll only have to pay L$25-L$50 for most of the stuff.  Ditto for lots of clothing & accessories.  Granted, I won't be getting the newest items from the creator in the sales, but as long as I'm okay with not always have the latest shiny then all will be good.

Then, the more that people buy the sale stuff instead of the regular priced stuff, the more things the creator puts on sale in order to get business.   Rinse, repeat - round and round we go.

I've looked at some of that 50 linden stuff for several months and not found one thing yet I would buy, so I delete the notecards now.

I do look at Seraphim though, however, but I only buy on average two items a month from Seraphim as I don't buy just because it's on sale.

However, I don't see things on sale everywhere...so I don't know what you are talking about.

But, I don't think we can judge the coronavirus economic fallout until at least many of us are vaccinated.  There are teachers striking now in parts of America saying they don't want to go to work unless there are smaller classrooms of about 12 and/or the kids are vaccinated.  This is not occurring all over America, but teachers are beginning to speak out in certain areas and even striking now.  With no school, can parents go to work?   Many can't.  Teachers are trained in safety.  This world is upside down right now because of coronavirus.  Banks could collapse.  It all looks pretty swept under the rug, but the uglies will eventually come out in regards to the world economies.  However, sales are part of the real life business.  It's how business' survive.  But, real life retail is going to be hit super hard from all of this as many will close and be bankrupt.  

24 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

But we all know most of sexual RP goes on in IM.  Completely private between the 2 people involved.  Just the fact a 50 year old has access to a 13 year old presents a problem IMO.

IMVU does have a few more controls in place though. IM's for one are relegated to people who purchase the VIP subscription. Profile lists the accounts R/L age. The room card shows the ages of the people in the room. People who have the Access Pass subscription tend to stick to rooms with other AP holders to stay away from minors. Much less adult content especially for those who are not AP. The community in general tends to be more hyper vigilant about the mixing of older and younger people unless its family. No guarantees of course but imo a greater focus there then here in S/L on that possibility.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

It could happen here too.  I was propositioned by a 3-day old avatar who asked me to his place.  I went because I was curious what a 3-day old avi had.  It was all set up for sex stuff and I teleported away because I have no interest in slex.  He had it all on moderate.  We can buy all the slex stuff and have it on moderate, even a newbie can have it.

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

It could happen here too.  I was propositioned by a 3-day old avatar who asked me to his place.  I went because I was curious what a 3-day old avi had.  It was all set up for sex stuff and I teleported away because I have no interest in slex.  He had it all on moderate.  We can buy all the slex stuff and have it on moderate, even a newbie can have it.

You're allowed to have adult furniture on moderate land.  Anyone under the age of 18 is only allowed access to General areas.  

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1174 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.