What is Your Prediction for SL in 2021?

On 4/9/2021 at 9:14 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

My guess is that over the years they have managed to lay off everyone that knew anything at all about the map processes.  Now, the remaining developer has to dig through tons of spaghetti code to try and figure out how it works.

Not so.  The LAST person to work on the Big Map code was Philip Rosedale (Philip Linden, founder of Second Life).  Philip stopped his technical (programming) work in SL around 2007.  Philip is still around, building new worlds, and I doubt even he remembers what he coded 14 years ago.  The problem was since the Map continued to work, more or less, that SL management never assigned anyone to maintain the code, much less prepare it for the AWS liftoff.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my crystal ball I see... A mutation of the 'Rona that sends everyone back into extreme isolation again which drives an invading horde of former SL critics seeking any kind of social interaction reg

I don't see the OPs post so I am going from what you guys before me have said and the title of course :D.  But --   I was talking with a good friend last night who used to be in SL but hasn'

I think SL needs to appeal to the younger crowd and consider mobile as has been mentioned but I'm not sure it's land that new people want.  I'd say most younger people may sign on because they want se

Posted Images

My prediction for SL in 2021?
It will be around. No spectacular new features or improvements.

SL is aging, and it starts to show.
Look at the paint on the brand new themes in Bellisseria.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Look at the paint on the brand new themes in Bellisseria.

Yes, they fired the painter recently.  And painted the stilt trim in the rain.  No wonder it's already peeling.

• 2 weeks later...

My prediction is that SL will die a slow death. The changes that are being made are not enough to keep up with the new emerging technologies. It may not happen in 2021...maybe in 2050 there will be a couple of 80 year olds playing to be women.

56 minutes ago, Adrian Rowley said:

My prediction is that SL will die a slow death. The changes that are being made are not enough to keep up with the new emerging technologies. It may not happen in 2021...maybe in 2050 there will be a couple of 80 year olds playing to be women.

It certainly won't happen in 2021 but I can't imagine it'll last until 2050.

I'd be very surprised in SL doesn't last another five years and I would expect at least 10. Not 20 though.

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

We'll get another yearly rate hike like $129.95 and maybe the stipend removed.

That would be a 225% increase in a Premium account!  Possible, but might be too pessimistic.  Mandatory 2FA, Premium increase, a fee for Basic, and closing down all Adult regions!  That would satisfy the bean counters, the paranoid, and the prudes.

That's the ticket !

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 2