What is Your Prediction for SL in 2021?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 4/9/2021 at 9:14 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

My guess is that over the years they have managed to lay off everyone that knew anything at all about the map processes.  Now, the remaining developer has to dig through tons of spaghetti code to try and figure out how it works.

Not so.  The LAST person to work on the Big Map code was Philip Rosedale (Philip Linden, founder of Second Life).  Philip stopped his technical (programming) work in SL around 2007.  Philip is still around, building new worlds, and I doubt even he remembers what he coded 14 years ago.  The problem was since the Map continued to work, more or less, that SL management never assigned anyone to maintain the code, much less prepare it for the AWS liftoff.

My prediction for SL in 2021?
It will be around. No spectacular new features or improvements.

SL is aging, and it starts to show.
Look at the paint on the brand new themes in Bellisseria.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Adrian Rowley said:

My prediction is that SL will die a slow death. The changes that are being made are not enough to keep up with the new emerging technologies. It may not happen in 2021...maybe in 2050 there will be a couple of 80 year olds playing to be women.

It certainly won't happen in 2021 but I can't imagine it'll last until 2050.

I'd be very surprised in SL doesn't last another five years and I would expect at least 10. Not 20 though.

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

We'll get another yearly rate hike like $129.95 and maybe the stipend removed.

That would be a 225% increase in a Premium account!  Possible, but might be too pessimistic.  Mandatory 2FA, Premium increase, a fee for Basic, and closing down all Adult regions!  That would satisfy the bean counters, the paranoid, and the prudes.

That's the ticket !

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 2

• 4 months later...

I'd been hearing that the new Lindens no longer supplied the support to their premium members that the old Lindens did so wonderfully. I even heard of one woman who had an avatar take her money couldn't get help!!!!  Just getting a bot letter is about all one seems to do. Then I experienced what I had been hearing about. 

I chose to be Premium years ago when I started because I knew when I'd have issues, I could make a call and within a short time the problem was solved.  The old Lindens had the best support of any software service I use BUT NO MORE.  Now trying to solve a simple problem, I feel as if I'm dealing with the lack of support I get when I try to solve a problem with AT&T. When SL suddenly wouldn't accept the password for my alt Guyadare, after I kept trying a few times, I followed all the instructions and was informed an email with a link for getting a new password would soon arrive in my mailbox.  It never did.  It also wasn't in SPAM.  This has happened twice.  That's when I started writing support tickets.  But no luck.  After almost a month I have dealt with 4 Linden Bots who always send me the same form letter and start from scratch knowing nothing about my case. It's like a never-ending circle.  I tried calling, but the Lindens only accept one type of money problem and that is it. 

What point is there being a Premium member now?  The lLinden houses look great and have improved but the lag is terrible and it's cheaper to buy mainland and go up in the air to avoid their lag. The Premium gifts are not that appealing and I don't need a sandbox.  But support --- when one needs it -especially your new members - and I'm afraid many of your new members will end up quitting in frustration.  A simple password change issue should not take months and all these different lLndens sending the same letters over and over.  When the bot letters say that I'll get an email link, I should get that link.  I've been in SL a long time, but this would be enough to make anyone new to quit.  For me, it's just an issue of trying to decide if my 4 avatars should stay on Premium or quit and to do everything I can do to get Guyadare back into SL and to have his inventory that I have spent so much money on. Mary Nuyasaka

1 hour ago, Mary Nuyasaka said:

I even heard of one woman who had an avatar take her money couldn't get help!!!! 

The only way anyone can takes someone's money is if they gave an object debit permissions (permission to take L$) or if they did something that allowed their account to be compromised --- clicked a bad link, used a simple easy-to-guess password, gave their password to someone, etc.....   Nobody can hold LL responsible for any of those reasons.

1 hour ago, Mary Nuyasaka said:

I'd been hearing that the new Lindens no longer supplied the support to their premium members that the old Lindens did so wonderfully. I

Hearing info and experiencing something is two different things.  I've always had great response from LL, though the bot that they use when you try to Chat is extremely stupid & irritating and it takes quite a bit of determination to get past it to a live person.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

i do not have predictions, but i hope SL will continue providing good opportunity for young adults to sharpened their artistic or creativity skills, i hope more and more young adults going toward that way in SL, not necessarily to persuade commercial purposes.

id love to see education online in SL looking even cooler than ever too, even as simple as a language class, or 3d creations (meanwhile, i haven't fully attended any class up until now after submitting my avatar to several classes), coding, or exchanging thoughts or experiences on entrepreneurships that work well in the society, or simply to get young adults to connect with each others around the globe spreading positivity. positivity. 

Edited by millenakera
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, millenakera said:

i do not have predictions, but i hope SL will continue providing good opportunity for young adults to sharpened their artistic or creativity skills, i hope more and more young adults going toward that way in SL, not necessarily to persuade commercial purposes.

id love to see education online in SL looking even cooler than ever too, even as simple as a language class, or 3d creations (meanwhile, i haven't fully attended any class up until now after submitting my avatar to several classes), coding, or exchanging thoughts or experiences on entrepreneurships that work well in the society, or simply to get young adults to connect with each others around the globe spreading positivity. positivity. 

A majority of young adults aren't coming to SL for art, creativity, education or positivity.

They're coming here for higher quality avatars and sex.

Since LL absolutely refuses to offer content creation tools that compete with MMOs who young adults have already been using, I don't see them coming here to do anything else other than to use the platform as a messenger service.

Once VRChat irons out it's new physics bones feature, they might decide SL's archaic asset based animation protocol leaves everything else to be desired and head back over. I predict VRChat private room usage will spike once "content" is offered to cater to said new feature.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

1 minute ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

A majority of young adults aren't coming to SL for art, creativity, education or positivity.

Since LL absolutely refuses to offer content creation tools that compete with those that MMOs young adults have already been using, I don't see them coming here to do anything else other than use the platform as a messenger service.

Once VRChat irons out it's new physics bones feature, they might decide SL's archaic asset based animation protocol leaves everything else to be desired and head back over. I predict private room usage will spike once "content" is offered to cater to said new feature.

i said my hope, p.l.e.a.s.e.r.e.a.d.c.a.r.e.f.u.l.l.y, smart darling, chill ;) you sound very much an SL expert, bravo, here's a medal for you 🎖️ now be proud 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, millenakera said:

i said my hope, p.l.e.a.s.e.r.e.a.d.c.a.r.e.f.u.l.l.y, smart darling, chill ;) you sound very much an SL expert, bravo, here's a medal for you 🎖️ now be proud 😄

I have no more room for another participation trophy.

My garage is full of them and I hate cleaning out my garage. 😆

3 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:
14 minutes ago, millenakera said:

Expand  

I have no more room for another participation trophy.

My garage is full of them and I hate cleaning out my garage. 😆

The entire community would be so glad to know that, thanks for letting us know 😊

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Actually I've found that adults 40 and over are the ones having the most Sexytyme! in SL. The younger people are out having real sex.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.