Gesture spam and why is it a thing

Sorciaa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this is the proper area for this but..why do clubs, with a DJ playing.. always seem to spam gestures non stop? The seems to happen far more often then not, atleast to the few clubs I tend to go to.  So..

Why is this a thing ?🤔

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

because they think that will get you to tip them. because they think it makes you feel included and important and to hype up the music and club. its all about marketing, to get you to feel you need to or should tip them for all their effort.

Odd, cause it makes me want to do the opposite and mute the sound. A little hard to enjoy the music when its always drowned out by annoying noise, but thats me. I guess someone must like it

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sorciaa said:

Odd, cause it makes me want to do the opposite and mute the sound. A little hard to enjoy the music when its always drowned out by annoying noise, but thats me. I guess someone must like it

It usually make me just leave.  I know you can turn off sound for gestures and some other thing you can enable to reduce chat spam but FFS, it's 2020.  Enough with the page filling gesturbation.  NO ONE likes it and people need to tell the venue owners.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sorciaa said:

yep, they basically are shooting themselves in the foot doing it, but they think its the cool thing to do because so many other clubs do the same thing. So they think it is the normal or correct way to run a club.

If at a club, I usually mute the host/hostess and often the dj, and just listen to the music because of it.

• Like 1

When I ran a club --- it was mostly live performers and the only gesture spamming most of the time was the applause one when the song ended. But for DJ clubs, I stayed away from those as it gets annoying and I'll bail. It's as bad as clubs (and some avis) that use flashing lights or particles. Some of us will get seizures from those.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Sorciaa said:

Why is this a thing ?🤔

Amen and whhhhhhhhhhy?

I have clubs I go to where that 99.99999% never happens, and never from the DJ or venue, but by some nimrod in the audience.

A while back I bought a $$$$ membership to a popular, pretty adult region. I never did much with it. Recently I decided to try to get some of my money's worth and they do have very good DJs. ZOMG! So much for any notion that $$$$ memberships weed out nimrods! The folks in the audience not only spam with local text gestures but also with SOUNDS. wtf? And in one instance the region OWNER who was at the club, was doing so also! Just... why? Buncha attention whores.

Agree, as soon as that stuff starts happening, if it is by the VENUE, I will not tip. Too bad for them, as I'm a generous tipper when in the mood.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

It usually make me just leave.  I know you can turn off sound for gestures and some other thing you can enable to reduce chat spam but FFS, it's 2020.  Enough with the page filling gesturbation.  NO ONE likes it and people need to tell the venue owners.

I've run across some sounds that I haven't been able to figure out how to turn off. I'm not used to dealing with such spam, so I'm probably not doing something obvious. But you know the sound thingie control in the upper bar of Firestorm? The one that has the controls for master sound, ambient, voice, music, etc? Nothing I switch off will get rid of the gd'ed noise spam. And yes, I'm 11+ years old and still a frikkin noob at some things!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sorciaa said:

Not sure if this is the proper area for this but..why do clubs, with a DJ playing.. always seem to spam gestures non stop? The seems to happen far more often then not, atleast to the few clubs I tend to go to.  So..

Why is this a thing ?🤔

Because there are childish people all over the internet, including SL.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

because they think that will get you to tip them. because they think it makes you feel included and important and to hype up the music and club. its all about marketing, to get you to feel you need to or should tip them for all their effort.

I tend to see more of it coming from the audience than the DJ, though sometimes other staff people are also to blame.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RowanMinx said:

Enough with the page filling gesturbation.  NO ONE likes it and people need to tell the venue owners.

TBF though, some club owners would give out 'gesture packs' to new hosts/DJs and tell them they had to use them to promote the venue name.

I'm not a fan either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I tend to see more of it coming from the audience than the DJ, though sometimes other staff people are also to blame.

Often the audience does over do it as well. Mostly its the host/hostess that I see at times. which is why I usually dont tip them when they do. I usually end up muting whoever is in the club doing it. easier then letting them drive me away and ruining my enjoyment of the music at the moment.

• Like 2

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

I just assumed it was from people who don't know what to talk about and use that stuff instead.

Same goes for talking genitalia.  😄  Too lazy to emote so I'll just click your hooha countless times and annoy everyone around since you haven't figured out how to set it to private.  Sorry, but I include that as gesture spam.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

TBF though, some club owners would give out 'gesture packs' to new hosts/DJs and tell them they had to use them to promote the venue name.

I'm not a fan either.

My man got one of those and never opened it.  The venue owner asked why and he said he's there to play tunes and enjoy it. The owner gave him a warning to start using them.  So my man dedicated the next song to the venue and played Johnny Paycheck's "Take This Job and Shove It!"  He got promptly banned afterwords and ARed too.  Got a good laugh out of that!

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Typo Queen.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

Same goes for talking genitalia.  😄  Too lazy to emote so I'll just click your hooha countless times and annoy everyone around since you haven't figured out how to set it to private.  Sorry, but I include that as gesture spam.

LOL.. then you would not like my PA stuff.. :P

Not all things can be set private. some of those kinds of things do not have a private setting or im only setting. So there is nothing they can do about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

It's an annoying  left over from the 2000's SL era, just disable the gesture sounds you are not actually missing anything in regards to experiencing SL.

That is not going to help when you want to say something in local and your text has been scrolled out of sight with dozens of lines with "HOOOOO", "TUUUNE!" and "I LOVE THE DJ", not to mention the spamming of gestures with 20+ lines because that is oh so amazing!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Just now, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

LOL.. then you would not like my PA stuff.. :P

Not all things can be set private. some of those kinds of things do not have a private setting or im only setting. So there is nothing they can do about it.

They really should include that option.  Always seems sort of noonish to have your privates chatting in public.  Not sure why they need to chat at all as my RL one has never said a word.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

They really should include that option.  Always seems sort of noonish to have your privates chatting in public.  Not sure why they need to chat at all as my RL one has never said a word.

Its sometimes about the humiliation or the excitement for some people. just like slappers and spankers and moaners. it so other people get to know what you are doing or is being done to you by someone else. some people are exhibitionists and some people like to watch.

5 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

PA is different IMO, you have to umm... "manipulate" it to get the best effect :D

EDIT: PA can be muted by the owner, you can do that from the HUD

but then it its not the same. part of the lure of pa is the local experience and having it respond to what someone is doing and others hearing or seeing it.

but yes it has a sleep mode and a silent mode even has a user notification option. but a lot of other things do not have those sort of options.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I've run across some sounds that I haven't been able to figure out how to turn off. I'm not used to dealing with such spam, so I'm probably not doing something obvious. But you know the sound thingie control in the upper bar of Firestorm? The one that has the controls for master sound, ambient, voice, music, etc? Nothing I switch off will get rid of the gd'ed noise spam. And yes, I'm 11+ years old and still a frikkin noob at some things!

What Nick said and there's also a box in preferences you can check to enable spam protection.  Just remember to shut it off afterwards or you can miss messages from groups and such.

7e3b8c0aaf5046a3061bf867ad1bed13.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.