Gesture spam and why is it a thing

Sorciaa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Mostly, you can't rez anything in clubs.

I see, you are correct

3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

griefing is a completely different matter from being able to make things

the solution for the parcel owner is to ban griefers from their lands/venues/clubs and/or abuse report griefers

And you are totally right @Mollymews. It's very different, but this is how i compare gesture spam with griefing. I used to do that, but i stopped doing that along time ago, the only one i use now is the applause.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MLALRS7044 said:

And you are totally right @Mollymews. It's very different, but this is how i compare gesture spam with griefing. I used to do that, but i stopped doing that along time ago, the only one i use now is the applause.

Prokofy's point that I was agreeing with is that using gestures is something that we can have in common with other people who also use gestures. Somebody plays a gesture. We play a gesture back at them. They respond with another gesture. Somebody else  joins in and play a gesture of their own. And so it goes

in this sense there is a sense of belonging with people who have a common interest

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mollymews said:

Prokofy's point that I was agreeing with is that using gestures is something that we can have in common with other people who also use gestures. Somebody plays a gesture. We play a gesture back at them. They respond with another gesture. Somebody else  joins in and play a gesture of their own. And so it goes

in this sense there is a sense of belonging with people who have a common interest

This is a really interesting and positive spin on gesture spam. I have this vague sense that it might correspond with some of my experiences of clubs, ca. 2009 or so, when chat in local was the rule rather than the exception in clubs, and when, I think, there was a different attitude about "creativity" in SL than there now is.

I'm not so certain it's still a widespread model, though? The clubs I go to -- say, about 4 or 5 of them -- virtually never feature gesture spam. One or two of them are simply dead quiet in local (because everyone is focused upon IMs instead), but in most there is a lot of chatter -- without, however, anyone using gestures. The only times I run across gesture spam now is at live performances, and that is rarely anything more than varieties of "applause." I don't even remember the last time I heard gestures being used playfully.

But  I wouldn't want to generalize from my own anecdotal experiences to a more general observation about SL. It seems to me that the kind of gesture spamming you're describing, where it is essential a form of banter, like throwing funny memes back and forth, is actually potentially at least, a bit of a positive thing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is a really interesting and positive spin on gesture spam. I have this vague sense that it might correspond with some of my experiences of clubs, ca. 2009 or so, when chat in local was the rule rather than the exception in clubs, and when, I think, there was a different attitude about "creativity" in SL than there now is.

I'm not so certain it's still a widespread model, though? The clubs I go to -- say, about 4 or 5 of them -- virtually never feature gesture spam. One or two of them are simply dead quiet in local (because everyone is focused upon IMs instead), but in most there is a lot of chatter -- without, however, anyone using gestures. The only times I run across gesture spam now is at live performances, and that is rarely anything more than varieties of "applause." I don't even remember the last time I heard gestures being used playfully.

But  I wouldn't want to generalize from my own anecdotal experiences to a more general observation about SL. It seems to me that the kind of gesture spamming you're describing, where it is essential a form of banter, like throwing funny memes back and forth, is actually potentially at least, a bit of a positive thing.

yes you are right that gesturing has further fallen out of use as the years have gone by

most gestures, like a lot of other types of free/giveaway stuff, came out of the sandbox foxes era - 2004-2011 about

and a lot of gestures in that era were included in helpy folders. Along with landmarks, layer clothes and avatar attachments/accessories, AOs, dance bracelets, poofers, bumpers, animators, song players, particle displays, etc etc; and given to new people

so would see in that earlier era a lot of gesturing at mainland Welcome Areas, Infohubs, in the sandboxes and other public places. Along with the playing of particles effects, sounds, animations, etc. And also other interactive plays between people. Bumping into each with things like fake fighting animations and fallovers and freakouts. Standing on each others heads. Kissers, huggers, biters, etc etc. Interactions that spilled over into the non-public owned areas as well. Like clubs and other venues

when mesh came to SL in earnest then the sandbox foxes daily population declined (people going offworld to mesh) and subsequently a reduction in new people finding people in sandboxes making stuff. And then from the foxes learning how to make simple things for themselves like gestures (gesture - the simplest personal interactive thing to make) then moving on from this to making more complex interactions with prims, scripts, etc

sometimes still (tho quite rarely now these days) I come across two people having a conversation using only gestures. A actual conversation not just tossing out random texts. Sandbox foxes in spirit and ethos. I always smile when I see that. It takes me back to a different time

just say that nobody should take what I have said here as a criticism of today. Life is ever-changing. New technologies and methods create opportunities to go in different and multiple creative directions. Which overall is a good thing

Edited by Mollymews
not not
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.