Gesture spam and why is it a thing

Sorciaa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

That is not going to help when you want to say something in local and your text has been scrolled out of sight with dozens of lines with "HOOOOO", "TUUUNE!" and "I LOVE THE DJ", not to mention the spamming of gestures with 20+ lines because that is oh so amazing!

I get so annoyed when the whole screen is filled with the art stuff and "I love this tuuuneee lalala lala" I'm so glad that tummy talkers aren't the current fad anymore! Now THAT was annoying as hell!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

I get so annoyed when the whole screen is filled with the art stuff and "I love this tuuuneee lalala lala" I'm so glad that tummy talkers aren't the current fad anymore! Now THAT was annoying as hell!!!

I still sometime see the tummy talkers in stores.  The indecipherable gibberish and baby talk of supposed toddlers is just as bad.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

See my post about spam protection.  It keeps all that stuff off your screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gestures are an easy way to create a sequences of actions - combining text, sound, animation and triggering scripts for more complex actions

personally I find gestures quite a fun thing to do

some people tho hate other people playing gestures. Rather than just block the person playing the gestures they much rather start mouthing off about it in chat. Upon which the gesture player blocks the mouthy person and just carries on

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I always believe it is because people lack the basic skill of communicating and need cliched bs with ascii characters to communicate for them!

I don't mind the occasional gesture during a conversation in local. Especially when the gesture is related to the conversation. But as you say, many club goers don't seem to have the communication skills to actually respond to a prior statement or question and instead ruin local chat for those that actually do wish to have a conversation. After all, it's the conversations that bring a club to life, not the gestures and the "big mother loving fog horns".

5 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

But as you say, many club goers don't seem to have the communication skills to actually respond to a prior statement or question and instead ruin local chat for those that actually do wish to have a conversation. After all, it's the conversations that bring a club to life, not the gestures and the "big mother loving fog horns".

This.  Large gestures spamming the chat box are rude, not to mention childish.  The odd short one appropriate to what is going on is fine, I use them myself from time to time.

The first thing I did when I logged back into SL was find out how to mute them, but didn't know about the spam thingie so thanks @RowanMinx .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I don't mind the occasional gesture during a conversation in local. Especially when the gesture is related to the conversation. But as you say, many club goers don't seem to have the communication skills to actually respond to a prior statement or question and instead ruin local chat for those that actually do wish to have a conversation. After all, it's the conversations that bring a club to life, not the gestures and the "big mother loving fog horns".

I don't go to clubs anymore, but when I did, gesturbaters were always muted by me until it was just me alone in the club having an awesome time!

My comment was aimed more at the use of them in any and all situations.  For example, when I was a CSR for residential rentals I had someone ask me about using sounds on the sim as her and her family used a lot of gestures when talking to each other and my only thought was how sad it was that they needed gestures to help them communicate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sorciaa said:

Not sure if this is the proper area for this but..why do clubs, with a DJ playing.. always seem to spam gestures non stop? The seems to happen far more often then not, atleast to the few clubs I tend to go to.  So..

Why is this a thing ?🤔

I can not stand it. I mute the people doing it, then the owners of clubs put in chat extenders and I have to see it anyway. (I leave the venue then) Same with people I have blocked because they send unsolicited items to me.. "Souvenir" snapshots.. WHY?!??!?! If I wanted to save a souvenir photo I'd take it myself. smh. people irritate me irrationally it seems.

Do not get me wrong, I do not mind an applause gesture or a occasional  I love this tune. But when the DJ or live singers "host" start posting lyrics into chat and it evokes my spam settings... WHY WHY WHY do they do this? Can;t carry on a conversation in open chat because some idiot is spamming their idiotic gestures.

there I said it. I am that botch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

"I love this tuuuneee lalala lala" 

TERRIBLE 😐 

I think the worst one was "Welcome back..while you were away we..." and something about humping your brains out. It went on for ages and filled up local chat...and wasn't even funny...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I play a single line gesture occasionally...which is very short and is usually something like..."chocolate, yesh".  lol  And, it's really not even a gesture, it's how some tinies answer another tiny.  Some of the tiny ones are cute but it's all about timing for it to be a little bit funny.  

As for the reason why the gesture spam, I think they were important when there were contests all over SL to see who had sounds on or off because a lot leave (go afk) during a contest but they need to be there for voting and/or for the contest board not to kick them off if the contest board has anti-camping on and because of the anti-camping thing.  I could be totally wrong though.  

Just mute them as shown in this thread in several places.  

Edited by FairreLilette

14 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

It usually make me just leave.  I know you can turn off sound for gestures and some other thing you can enable to reduce chat spam but FFS, it's 2020.  Enough with the page filling gesturbation.  NO ONE likes it and people need to tell the venue owners.

I do. Me and my friends gesturbate quite often. It’s one of those things. If you don’t like it, don’t go there. Personally I have no problem with a bit of gesture spam 😁

• Like 2

I would like to claim that the amount of gestures used is correlated to the music genre(s) played.
In an all purpose party club like Moodys or Big Daddies, where you get to listen to a weird mix of 80s, rock, pop, and charts all the time, gesture spam rate is quite high, while i rarely suffer from any gestures when im at Blue Orange or Warehouse 21, listening to a fine vocal house dj set for 2 hours.

♪❤☮ .:: CHOON! ::.☮❤♪

;)

Edited by Resi Pfeffer

I'm in the camp of don't like much and will filter at the really bad places but I will tolerate and mostly just ignore the smaller one offs.  I have gesture sounds off.  I don't really use gestures myself at all any more and haven't for a loooooong time.  I was different at the beginning though, I thought gestures were awesome but I think I must have SL-matured along the way somewhat.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.