The all-in-one Home Furnishings Topic!

Trinity Blakewell

28 minutes ago, Frigga Freidman said:

I often tint light-colored items to get the shade I want, but is it possible to actually *replace* the textures with good results? (I've only replaced images in frames.) I've always assumed that the textures used for items of furniture like this are produced with the shading required to make them look real. (My only experience with creating 3D items is limited to an unsuccessful tussle with 3DS Max 15 years ago.)

I like to play with textures on things, and the answer to this in my experience is "it depends". Some items do seem to be textured so that if you replace the texture, you really lose the intended look. It's quite possible there is a way around this, as I am no expert on the topic. I just play around, taking things apart and making them into something else. :) 

I've had good success using textures that come with the materials (normal and specular map) textures included, so that when I apply all three textures, I get the 3-D look. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frigga Freidman said:

I often tint light-colored items to get the shade I want, but is it possible to actually *replace* the textures with good results? (I've only replaced images in frames.) I've always assumed that the textures used for items of furniture like this are produced with the shading required to make them look real. (My only experience with creating 3D items is limited to an unsuccessful tussle with 3DS Max 15 years ago.)

For things like this, I do tend to buy the light colored one also, so that I can tint if texture replacement doesn't work out.

I only played with this chair a little bit this morning, but I tossed about half dozen different textures on the 2 chair parts - seat/back & arms/sides -- as well as 3 or 4 textures on the pillow.  For some of the textures, I had to adjust the Repeats a bit and you do lose the shading/shadows.  Depending on the item, that part doesn't bother me much.  Most of the textures I played with worked out well. 

However, typically patterned textures won't work well on things like this, unless everything is a separate texturing face.  For this particular chair, there is no way to shift the texture on just part of the seat cushion because the seat and back are not only one object, but also a single texture face.  This pic shows the problem with trying to substitute a patterned texture:

image.thumb.png.3031bbe23e76b9294b802ff1cc722b65.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

Kazza has this fireplace too, and it is good for us who count li. It is rezzed out huge. All Kazza stuff comes with floor and backdrops. The fireplace is 5 li as rezzed, but edited down to this size it is 2 li. You can see the black shadow, how big it was. 3 li is a very large size to, so it is just to experiment.

The two lanterns to the left is linked, they can't be unlinked. The stars are linked too. The fireplace tools and the lantern are not linked. All parts size down and are 1 li each.

The two lanterns and the two stars are 1 li. I very often set out a pair of lanterns, I save 1 li on this set, since I get a pair for 1 li.

firepl_002.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SarahThe Wanderer said:

I've been waiting for this sale for so long, and it's finally here!

Loft And Aria:

loftaria.jpg.da8848a39db623d6bcd1a502ad447ceb.jpg

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LoftAria II/141/56/34

Oh god, it runs only to the 23! 😧 Heeeelllppp... I hope I can get in...

Here is their Flickr. I must try to decide what to buy before I get there. https://www.flickr.com/photos/colleendesmoulins/

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Oh god, it runs only to the 23! 😧 Heeeelllppp... I hope I can get in...

It was really laggy when I was there last night, but not overly crowded. I couldn't stay long yesterday, so hopefully it won't be mobbed all day today or tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Fourth Wall is also having a 50% off sale this weekend (excludes gift cards).  The sale ends at 4:00 am SLT on Nov 23rd.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/The Trace/118/14/23

I could have predicted this.  I just bought a bunch of stuff there last week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Note for the Kraftwork sale:  It is "pay the vendor the full price and then get refunded 50%" -- and let NODNOL Jameson know if you don't get the refund.  Also, watch out for the 'this item not on sale' signs.

Yes, I suggest folks click the photo link to see the "rules" including what is excluded in the sale. :) 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn

48 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Yes, I suggest folks click the photo link to see the "rules" including what is excluded in the sale. :) 

Wowwww!!!! I would not trust that type of "sale", next they will say "in-store credit only, with credit stored on our servers.."

Their sale terms are not at all unusual in SL.  Many creators exclude gift cards and their most recent releases & event items.  And many of them use vendor's that automatically refund a percentage of the price rather than manually marking every item down.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
Ugh, spelling of course
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There sale terms are not at all unusual in SL.  Many creators exclude gift cards and their most recent releases & event items.  And many of them use vendor's that automatically refund a percentage of the price rather than manually marking every item down.

Agreed, I don't see anything out of the ordinary going on here. Kraftwork is a great store and if I hadn't already bought a ton of stuff there, I'd be all over this sale!

• Like 4