SL Police?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

SL does not have an official police force.

And Linden Lab takes a dim view of people pretending to be cops and administering vigilante justice. You can get in trouble real fast for that if you aren't careful.  It's probably smart to RP in a RP region where it's part of the game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There was a time when you could dial 911 on any Gentek Telecom phone and get an emergency dispatcher. genteknoc_001.thumb.png.2c754c3d3f8f81bd6cee2e38f972f92f.png

The lights are out and no one is on duty. But those big consoles were functional and were once staffed.

This was a roleplay support service. Call 911, and they'd contact the appropriate emergency service - SL coast guard, in-world fire departments, hospitals, police stations. The call center staff was instructed to be confident and move the roleplay along, dealing with the situation in less than 5 minutes.

If SL ever gets region crossings fixed, mainland emergency services might make a comeback. Multi-region roleplay suffers badly when you can't reliably get from A to B.

Edited by animats
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Most of the "police" groups that I've encountered over the years were more 'griefer' than 'helper'.  Typically more bent on telling people that they couldn't do the various things that the group didn't want people doing (which, according to the TOS, were almost always actually allowed), rather than being helpful.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
spelling, of course
  • Like 9

There are two kinds of "police" in SL.

One is the roleplay variety.  These folks wear uniforms, drive around in prowl cars, and generally play at LOOKING like police.  They're harmless, and if it's fun for them, great.

The other is the Busybody Police.  These are the ones who show up and tell you what you're doing is "against the law" and if you don't stop "they will ban you."  These are wannabe vigilantes, and you should just Block them and ignore them.

There is a third category, groups that ACTUALLY give help against griefer attacks, while staying within the Terms of Service.  While these can easily slide over the line into the "vigilante" category, some of them do provide a useful service.  I don't know of any that are wearing police uniforms, though.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, operationhammerman said:

I'd be more than happy to put on the uniform and resume patrols if others are willing and Second Life can guarantee immunity from malicious counter-ARs by organised griefer networks, and give us land privileges.

Perfect example of Category Two.  Thank you for your service.

• Like 10

The one anti-griefing service that might be useful is one that finds and ARs hard to find griefing objects. That often requires using tools such as area search and sound explorer, and looking around the area of trouble to find some invisible object that's causing the problem. It's drudgery, not roleplay. If you complain about that sort of thing to LL, they get to it eventually, but it may take days until some staff member can devote an hour to the job.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, operationhammerman said:

Most definitely required in these troubled times.

What troubled times?

I'd be more than happy to put on the uniform and resume patrols if others are willing and Second Life can guarantee immunity from malicious counter-ARs by organised griefer networks, and give us land privileges.

Um.......... NO, NO, NO.   

SL does NOT need a "police" force - at least not one that is made up of Residents.

You just have to visit any sandbox or infohub these days to see why an SLPD's required. 

However, it is not for you or anyone that is not a Linden to decide what needs to be policed at sandboxes or InfoHubs or anywhere else.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

And Linden Lab takes a dim view of people pretending to be cops and administering vigilante justice. You can get in trouble real fast for that if you aren't careful.  It's probably smart to RP in a RP region where it's part of the game.

I ran into one who made me RL shiver for an hour. He admitted that he was trolling, but it was a very disgusting experience.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I ran into one who made me RL shiver for an hour. He admitted that he was trolling, but it was a very disgusting experience.

The same thing happened to me when I was a newbie in 2007.  I had enough nerve to tell him to go to hell, but it made me think twice about whether I really wanted to be in SL.  Fortunately, LL is pretty good about clearing out people like that if we submit ARs.  I haven't seen as many in recent years.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The same thing happened to me when I was a newbie in 2007.  I had enough nerve to tell him to go to hell, but it made me think twice about whether I really wanted to be in SL.  Fortunately, LL is pretty good about clearing out people like that if we submit ARs.  I haven't seen as many in recent years.

I didn't submit an AR because i was too new. I wouldn't be particularly "nice"  to someone like that anymore. He would be the one shivering!!! I have zero tolerance for that sort of thing!!!

Seriously though, we don't need or want those types of people in SL. We are here to enjoy it. Some enjoy hurting others unfortunately.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, operationhammerman said:

Incorrect, ma'am. You are thinking of comic book vigilantes or insane furry griefers wearing unofficial police uniform. 

Um, as opposed to SL vigilantes?  I've yet to meet any in SL that would show a difference.  

1 hour ago, operationhammerman said:

Most definitely required in these troubled times. I'd be more than happy to put on the uniform and resume patrols if others are willing and Second Life can guarantee immunity from malicious counter-ARs by organised griefer networks, and give us land privileges.

You just have to visit any sandbox or infohub these days to see why an SLPD's required. 

And can I get a Hell No?

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Hang in there, Pearl. After more than a dozen years here, it's difficult for anyone to give me the shivers, sometimes even for those I want to.

It almost made want to leave....But I didn't lol!!! But I would rip my claws so hard into someone like that now....

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.