#SLBareFaceChallenge 2020

mistika Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, guys! Hope everyone is safe.

I don't know when or why it was created, but saw it all around Flickr again and decided to share with you.

As you can see, this challenge consists basically in showing your avatar bare face without any *enhancers (no lashes - the ones that come with the skin can be kept; no makeup; no editing; no jewellery).

You can tag as many people as you please and challenge them on Flickr or, just like me, join it for pure and simple fun.

*If the enhancer is a part of your "genetics" (your skin) or you want to keep some enhancers that you believe to be really important for your identity, it is allowed.

I challenge all of you, guys!

Edited by mistika Magic
  • Like 26

6 hours ago, mistika Magic said:

Hi, guys! Hope everyone is safe.

I don't know when or why it was created, but saw it all around Flickr again and decided to share with you.

As you can see, this challenge consists basically in showing your avatar bare face without any *enhancers (no lashes - the ones that come with the skin can be kept; no makeup; no editing; no jewellery).

You can tag as many people as you please and challenge them on Flickr or, just like me, join it for pure and simple fun.

*If the enhancer is a part of your "genetics", it is allowed.

I challenge all of you, guys!

That is a great head. which one?

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

"No lashes" and "no makeup" lasted long, eh? Do not tell me one or two of the pictures have only lashes drawn on the skin. Looking very much like pale lipstick on one image too.

Maybe I should just keep silent, but it annoys me that people start to skirt the rules.

Most mesh heads - like most people in real life - have eyelashes on them. Since eyelashes are something we are (almost) all born with, they are "part of your genetics" as per the original post. If we are to hide mesh lashes and perhaps do not own a skin with painted-on lashes then should we also remove eyebrows, hairbases, mesh hair, and (for those of us that wear it) facial hair, so that our lack of lashes would make sense? If the only lashes that a mesh head has are long ones, then so be it. That doesn't necessarily mean that - were the image created for the RL Bare Face Challenge - that person is wearing mascara; it simply means they have long, dark lashes.

If a skin has lashes 'painted onto the skin' then it's very likely a very old, original system skin (or one converted to an applier), and - in many (granted, not all) cases - the painted-on lashes will not look good when they're baked onto a mesh head. The majority of BoM-specific skins (those created especially for mesh heads and bodies) do not have lashes painted onto them, for the precise reason that mesh heads already have lashes on them, and a large proportion of 'BoM fixes' have been created to remove things like painted-on lashes. If you limit this challenge to only those people who own skins with painted-on lashes then that's a vast swathe of people who simply cannot participate.

'Pale lipstick' may simply be part of the skin (possibly the only skin) that a person owns. If their only skin appears to have a pale lipstick on, are they not permitted to take part in this challenge? Are the 'rules' that strict and inflexible? Full-on, in-your-face, obvious makeup I can understand not being in the spirit of this. Last time this challenge was run, I saw avatars with bright purple eyeshadow, lip gloss, and thick eyeliner taking part. That I would challenge, but eyelashes?

Here is my response to the challenge. Yes, I have eyelashes.

48122111671_b755d87f0b_h.jpg

Edited by Skell Dagger
Clarification to remove unintentional gender bias
  • Like 28

42 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Most mesh heads - like most people in real life - have eyelashes on them. Since eyelashes are something we are (almost) all born with, they are "part of your genetics" as per the original post. If we are to hide mesh lashes and perhaps do not own a skin with painted-on lashes then should we also remove eyebrows, hairbases, mesh hair, and (for those of us that wear it) facial hair, so that our lack of lashes would make sense? If the only lashes that a mesh head has are long ones, then so be it. That doesn't necessarily mean that - were the image created for the RL Bare Face Challenge - that person is wearing mascara; it simply means they have long, dark lashes.

If a skin has lashes 'painted onto the skin' then it's very likely a very old, original system skin (or one converted to an applier), and - in many (granted, not all) cases - the painted-on lashes will not look good when they're baked onto a mesh head. The majority of BoM-specific skins (those created especially for mesh heads and bodies) do not have lashes painted onto them, for the precise reason that mesh heads already have lashes on them, and a large proportion of 'BoM fixes' have been created to remove things like painted-on lashes. If you limit this challenge to only those people who own skins with painted-on lashes then that's a vast swathe of people who simply cannot participate.

'Pale lipstick' may simply be part of the skin (possibly the only skin) that a person owns. If their only skin appears to have a pale lipstick on, are they not permitted to take part in this challenge? Are the 'rules' that strict and inflexible? Full-on, in-your-face, obvious makeup I can understand not being in the spirit of this. Last time this challenge was run, I saw avatars with bright purple eyeshadow, lip gloss, and thick eyeliner taking part. That I would challenge, but eyelashes?

Here is my response to the challenge. Yes, I have eyelashes.

48122111671_b755d87f0b_h.jpg

Boys/men in real life always have such glorious eyelashes. Naturally. 

I saw this challenge but at the time I first saw it, it was really late so instead of doing a new pic, I entered an older one. Still bare-faced, though I have lashes and I think there is a subtle eyeliner painted onto the skin. But I thought the way Skell does; everyone has eyelashes, whether they have make-up on or not. 

610332.jpg?width=1200

I tried again the following day with a different skin, but I didn't like it as much because it made me look grumpy, so I didn't add it to the challenge.

• Like 16

The irony is: I usually put on more make-up layers for a more "bare face" look than simply using a bare face. There's an overlay by Izzie's to get rid of the strong cheekbone shading, highlights remover, either a dry lips or natural glossy lipstick applier (yes, applier instead of tattoo for the sake of lowering transparency) and the most basic lashes I could find - that's actually an old lash set by LeLutka which they didn't move over to their redesigned shop.

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Maybe I should just keep silent, but it annoys me that people start to skirt the rules.

Y'know, I always despised that lame "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all". 😉

2 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Most mesh heads - like most people in real life - have eyelashes on them.

That was the irritating part for me, exactly. Lashes are natural, why take them off if they have a quite natural look? 

some sets do have a bit of eyeliner - or perhaps shading - on them to give an illusion of eye make-up. The same for eyes, actually - for example, my current choice has very strong black shading on the top of its texture which can easily give the impression of eyeliner. Hence why I chose closed eyes for the pic. 🙃

• Like 2

This is hardly a challenge for me, but my alt, Indra is very rarely without makeup, so I did it with her instead.

49997855502_c6784b2eb5_b.jpg

And this is why she always wears makeup. The lips as they are on this skin look much too pale to be natural with that skin tone. 

Head: Lelutka Erin
Skin: The Skinnery, Blair
Body: Maitreya Lara
Hair: Magika, Chloe
Eyes: Mayfly, Deep Sky, Molasses

• Like 15

Seeing as how this challenge has been around since at least 2014, I think the "no lashes" is a bit outdated and like Skell so eloquently wrote, "it don't make no sense to say 'no lashes' but other genetical stuff is okey-dokey". I worked with one young lady that got so stressed her eye lashes fell out. That is my only personal experience in RL of someone having no lashes.

No brows? Sure all the time, just please draw them on so they match.

I also think challenges like these should be open to interpretation. Bare to me means more than just taking off make-up or clothes, it is exposed and a little vulnerable. There's a bit of my pixel soul (so to speak) in that shot.

• Like 6

#SLBareFaceChallenge2020

I kept my tats, eyebrows, and my Genus head eyelashes cause I figured those were "natural" things. ^^ Then I tagged on my signature to the photo, but that's the only "post processing".

Edited by momomoonusagi
  • Like 13

784248863_BareFacedNeph.thumb.png.8c2723036ed8af3f5a64fe503efd25da.png

Neph wouldn't take her piercings out, because she frankly doesn't care about any 'rules' and isn't a fan of anyone trying to tell her what she should or shouldn't look like, whether it's feminists or the zhe phantom of zhe patriarchy. Just like Orwar, who couldn't care less about whether his appearance appeals to others or not - besides, they're both equally likely of knocking anyone, who believes themselves entitled to remark on their appearance, into the nearest body of water.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Orwar said:

784248863_BareFacedNeph.thumb.png.8c2723036ed8af3f5a64fe503efd25da.png

Neph wouldn't take her piercings out, because she frankly doesn't care about any 'rules' and isn't a fan of anyone trying to tell her what she should or shouldn't look like, whether it's feminists or the zhe phantom of zhe patriarchy. Just like Orwar, who couldn't care less about whether his appearance appeals to others or not - besides, they're both equally likely of knocking anyone, who believes themselves entitled to remark on their appearance, into the nearest body of water.

I really wish I could choose two reactions to your post. I was torn between liking and thank you, so I switched from like to thank you. So here is your "like" for both the photo and your comments. ❤️

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.