Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Talligurl said:

No they are not, but no one is saying that they are. The officers involved in the death of George Floyd have been arrested and charged with crimes. Everyone keeps talking about equal justice, but justice is being served. The Constitution does not guarantee that crimes will not occur, it guarantees that those crimes will be punished. This is happening, there is no need for protests, what happened is not OK and will be dealt with accordingly. If the officers were able to get away with it there would be an injustice worth protesting, but this simply is not the case.

I think you may be putting the cart before the horse, here. Without the protests, these officers would never even have been charged, Without even more protests, the charges would never even have been upgraded.

Currently, and apparently, black lives only matter when ppl make a big stink about it. The idea is, to get to a state where 'equal Justice under the Law' is happening without the protests. Ironically, that's what the protests are for.

Edited by kiramanell
Because idiot
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Jordan Whitt said:

To only be outraged when a black man dies at the hands of the police force, the same police force you would call when someone is breaking into your home, just smacks of hypocrisy, virtue signalling and jumping on the bandwagon to get clout.

it is expected that police officers uphold their sworn oath: To Protect and Serve.  To protect us when we ask this of them as they have sworn to do

it is not hypocritical to expect this, while simultaneously be outraged when a police officer, the killer of George Floyd for example, fails to uphold their sworn oath. Not only did this officer not protect Mr Floyd when Mr Floyd ask him too, the police officer killed Mr Floyd

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

🤔 I don't watch this show, (or any TV for that matter), but found this on youtube. I wasn't searching for anything riot related either.

Edited by Maryanne Solo
Not a watcher or follower of this TV show.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Without even more protests, the charges would never even have been upgraded.

Except now he's more likely to get away with it.

Murder 3 was a slam dunk. Murder 2 means he gets to use the aforementioned "training" as an excuse. That puts the responsibility on the department and takes it off him, which just means a settlement with taxpayer money. 

• Sad 1

Hi Scylla!😃

Up to your old tricks again I see.😉(will you never learn lol)

white anti-racism can thus be identified:

1) a fetishistic preoccupation with disproving one’s racism;

2) ostentatious forms of antiracism that function as means of self-promotion, as paradoxical means of white self-love;

3) the consolidation and extension of agency through redemptive gestures of ‘heroic white antiracism’;

4) ‘charitable antiracism’ which fixes tolerance within a model of charity, as an act of generosity and that reiterates the status and role of an antiracist benefactor. 

PS See you over in the Feminism thread presently lmfao

Edited by Derek Torvalar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

41 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

Hi Scylla!😃

Up to your old tricks again I see.😉(will you never learn lol)

white anti-racism can thus be identified:

1) a fetishistic preoccupation with disproving one’s racism;

2) ostentatious forms of antiracism that function as means of self-promotion, as paradoxical means of white self-love;

3) the consolidation and extension of agency through redemptive gestures of ‘heroic white antiracism’;

4) ‘charitable antiracism’ which fixes tolerance within a model of charity, as an act of generosity and that reiterates the status and role of an antiracist benefactor. 

PS See you over in the Feminism thread presently lmfao

Derek, you seem so excited to contribute here you have forgotten to provide an argument that gives any meaning. 

All I can gather from this post is by reading between the lines. You seem angry,  seem not to like white anti-racism. 

What are you saying racism is good and it should be tolerated? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Derek, you seem so excited to contribute here you have forgotten to provide an argument that gives any meaning. 

All I can gather from this post is by reading between the lines. You seem angry,  seem not to like white anti-racism. 

What are you saying racism is good and it should be tolerated? 

Interesting post.

Is that what you gleaned from what I have posted here?

Sort of demonstrates what I am alluding to.

4 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

Interesting post.

Is that what you gleaned from what I have posted here?

Sort of demonstrates what I am alluding to.

I haven't gleaned very much at all, except that you seem too angry to be able to articulate an argument or point of view. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I haven't gleaned very much at all, except that you seem too angry to be able to articulate an argument or point of view. 

Oh come on. 🤣

You really believe that that anger accusation is going to float with me. lmfao

ETA Precisly. Think Aethelwine, don't feel, think.

Edited by Derek Torvalar
omission
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Please don't use Australian media as an example to accompany the Mr Sniffleathon video @Lyssa Greymoon.
They contribute nothing and are NOT representative of Australian views.

Absolutely Zero credibility.
Just this morning a zero credibility ABC, (our national toilet based, publicly funded broadcaster), senior reporter, interviewed an
African American gentleman who lives and breathes everyday facts. (I knew I should have written his name down).
The gent ripped the idiotic reporter a new one for his lack of research, his gullibility, downright arrogance and insistence in
parroting idiocy.
But of course the Australian media clown knew more about the situation than the African American man.
Mr Sniffleathon appears to be the same type of clown.  

Protest during Covid-19? Go ahead, make my day. 🖕 Absolute insanity.

Thanks, I'll remember that when I see anything from the Australian media from now on.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

Here is a good read. (Knowing full well that it will be condemned for where it is published, probably without even being read.)

https://quillette.com/2020/06/03/condemn-this-violence-without-equivocation/

I am quite a fan of Glenn Loury, he takes a, calm, learned and data driven approach to some of these complex issues.
I also appreciate Coleman Hughes, a rising star of the black intellectual universe. https://colemanhughes.org/

When the storm of emotions die down a little, it is voices like these, who will shed more light on possible solutions to these thorny issues.

• Like 1

Just now, Orfeu Miles said:

I am quite a fan of Glenn Loury, he takes a, calm, learned and data driven approach to some of these complex issues.
I also appreciate Coleman Hughes, a rising star of the black intellectual universe. https://colemanhughes.org/

When the storm of emotions die down a little, it is voices like these, who will shed more light on possible solutions to these thorny issues.

Hello Orfeu good to see you here. Been a very long while.

I concur on both Loury and Hughes, and the shedding of light. One wonders however how many will continue to walk around with their lids clenched tightly preferring the darkness.

I met Coleman a couple years ago, a great guy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Derek Torvalar said:

Hello Orfeu good to see you here. Been a very long while.

I concur on both Loury and Hughes, and the shedding of light. One wonders however how many will continue to walk around with their lids clenched tightly preferring the darkness.

I met Coleman a couple years ago, a great guy.

Coleman seems to come from the Sam Harris school of discourse...a good-faith Inquisitor into difficult polarizing problems.

So many discussions about race remind me of Karl Marx...his analysis of the problems of Capitalism are spot-on...his solutions however, caused more misery than enlightenment.

There are definitely profound problems about Race, it is world-wide. There has been progress in a 2 steps forwards 1 step back fashion. One can only hope that solutions offered actually help, rather than hinder human progress. A little more intellect, and a tad less emotion might be useful.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Orfeu Miles said:

Coleman seems to come from the Sam Harris school of discourse...a good-faith Inquisitor into difficult polarizing problems.

So many discussions about race remind me of Karl Marx...his analysis of the problems of Capitalism are spot-on...his solutions however, caused more misery than enlightenment.

There are definitely profound problems about Race, it is world-wide. There has been progress in a 2 steps forwards 1 step back fashion. One can only hope that solutions offered actually help, rather than hinder human progress. A little more intellect, and a tad less emotion might be useful.

Yes I would agree on Sam being one of more than a few with the integrity to undertake these discourse in a rational manner. Again, someone I have been following for a number of years.

And I would amplify your last point, that the 'hystereonic' (to dredge up a long forgotten neologism that once was the subject of some mirth on this forum) approach is never going to be productive.

When I say

"black lives matter",

... the standard response of some people around me is a rather annoyed "all lives matter". And then the whole point gets missed and the discussion gets stuck in semantics. So, instead, I propose to brandish a new and very catchy soundbyte to avoid confusion:

"Dear police academy, please vet your candidates more stringently for racial bias and train them to de-escalate, not to go on a power trip at the slightest sign of civil disobedience. Maybe that cost more money, but you could always sell your Operation Desert Fox panzer tanks. Also, try not to kill anyone when they reach for the glove compartment or their inner pocket to fulfill your request to produce an ID. It's where ID's are kept. And to the policy and lawmakers in the US: please learn from other countries, because, even though you can put people on the moon and invent canned soup, this whole policing thing and gun control is clearly something you're not very good at. Thank you."

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

THE PUNISHMENT FOR COMMITTING A CRIME IS NEVER EXECUTION AT THE KERBSIDE BY A COP.

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THE CRIME IS.

THE CONSEQUENCES FOR COMMITTING A CRIME ** CAN ** BE EXECUTION AT CURBSIDE BY A COP... WHEN YOU DECIDE TO TRY AND KILL THE COP WHO IS ATTEMPTING TO STOP YOU FROM GETTING AWAY WITH YOUR CRIME.  THE DEAD BLACK PERSON THAT WAS EXECUTED CURBSIDE AFTER COMMITTING CRIME AT FERGUSON ... TRIED TO TAKE THE COPS SIDEARM FROM HIS HOLSTER TO KILL THAT COP WITH HIS OWN GUN.  SO WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY COFFEE? PEOPLE ESPECIALLY COPS HAVE NO RIGHT TO SELF DEFENSE ?   

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.