So, Who the Heck ARE You, anyway?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As a public service I will not be changing my name. So Scylla, you and everyone else will know who it is that is YELLING at you in the most knee-slapping hilarious way. Others will still be able to nod while reading my comments while saying out loud, "She's always so brilliant! And look, no spelling errors! No noun/verb disagreements. No comma splicing! How does she do that so consistently?" and then cutting and pasting said comments to a Word file to be able to read over and over. Of course this will still be done while thinking my name is pronounced SIGH-ker instead of Seeker, but that is part of the fun, no? Google searches will not be hampered.

YW.

I'm a giver.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I mean we could all be part of some wild and crazy high fashion over sexed virtual world run by some, who knows who,for all we know.

/me shudders

That's the stuff of nightmares, Ceka.

Thank god SL isn't like that at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Of course this will still be done while thinking my name is pronounced SIGH-ker instead of Seeker, but that is part of the fun, no? 

Oops. In my head I've been pronouncing it Say-sher. Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wow, that's a stretch.

It's obviously Say-chur.

And you were Skiller, until I knew better.

Oh God. If I change my surname, clearly it has to be Puddle. Say it out loud.

ETA: Oh bugger, it's Puddles. Doesn't work.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Oops. In my head I've been pronouncing it Say-sher. Sorry.

That's a new one. :) (To me anyway.) Usually people want to make it German... I only know that because I used to go to concerts with voice enabled, and when musicians were calling out who was there it was always SIGHker after a LOT of fumbling. :)  

The inadvertent spelling error (should be Siecher, for one) is now so ingrained into my SL experience there is no way I'd change it now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

That's a new one. :) (To me anyway.) Usually people want to make it German... I only know that because I used to go to concerts with voice enabled, and when musicians were calling out who was there it was always SIGHker after a LOT of fumbling. :)  

The inadvertent spelling error (should be Siecher, for one) is now so ingrained into my SL experience there is no way I'd change it now.

I Googled and it does seem to be German...what should it be? 

Just now, Amina Sopwith said:

I Googled and it does seem to be German...what should it be? 

Well, I wanted it to be Seeker, but thought spelling it out properly as Seeker was too... New Age icky or something. So I got "clever" and played with the way in English you can get the same pronunciation with various combinations. It should be the old i before e except after c rule, but I can't spell and so I misspelled my made up spelling. :)

I didn't realize that you couldn't fix names after you made them official otherwise I might have been more careful. I also might have checked to make sure it wasn't weird in other languages. I learned early on that seicher is French for cuttlefish, which is weird but not horrible. I only found out about four years ago that in some dialect on one side of some German/Swiss Alp that it is a pretty nasty sexual slur for a female. Which explains why in my early days I kept getting lewd remarks from horney German avatars. :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

"Good morning!  Roly, Poly, Pudding & Porridge, Attorneys at Law, Anthony Rowley speaking. How may we help you?"

Rawley pronounced Roh-lee, to rhyme with Pole-ee? Huh. I read it as Rawley pronounced like Raleigh NC, with a bit of a W before the L. Rah-wul-eee. :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Rawley pronounced Roh-lee, to rhyme with Pole-ee? Huh. I read it as Rawley pronounced like Raleigh NC, with a bit of a W before the L. Rah-wul-eee.

What, what, what? Of course they rhyme. It's an Olde Englishe tune.  Roly and poly and ROWLEY wouldn't fit in the same song if they didn't rhyme.  Raleigh is another chap completely.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's occurred to me that, as people now begin to change their names, their monikers on the forum are going to change too.

Which is going to make it difficult to know who is yelling at me sometimes.

Not only this, but I just realized that when I go hunting through my inworld Friends list for UsedToBeNamedOneThing, but they changed their name, so now I have no clue who the heck I'm hunting for. 

This could get quite interesting..... or frustrating, more likely.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not only this, but I just realized that when I go hunting through my inworld Friends list for UsedToBeNamedOneThing, but they changed their name, so now I have no clue who the heck I'm hunting for. 

This could get quite interesting..... or frustrating, more likely.

I noticed last night while glancing at my friend list that one of my friends changed his name, so I looked at his contact card in my inventory and it still showed his original name. I need to remember to check again later to see if it ultimately changes. 

(The name changes do seem to generally be taking effect very quickly after the requests are made, or so I've heard from one of my alts.)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.