So, Who the Heck ARE You, anyway?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

A quick Google search reveals that "Rhiadra" appears to not be much of a RL name at all. There seem to be a small handful of people with it (or who use it), but the vast majority of the hits are SL avatar names.

So, maybe Sansaraan, or Gaetan, or Zindran instead of Welsh.

I'll have to ask mum. She'll know.

It's structured and spelled like a Welsh name but it isn't. I tried it in Google Translate and it "detected" it as Welsh but couldn't offer an actual translation.  Without the "h" it would be Irish or Scots. There's "Dal Riada" or "Dalriada" which is the name of the kingdom and the ruling class in Scottish & Irish mythology, so if I were to hazard a guess at the fictional translation of "Rhiadra" I'd say it means something like "Royal", "Noble" or "Princess" or something similar.

Well, there have been some pretty heated discussions about this at clan meetings and reunions, let me tell you.

But I (and those of us who pronounce it correctly) would say "Ree-AH-dra."

That would be correct, except if it's Welsh, you'd have to also roll your Rs and make it sound like you're coughing up a lungful of phlegm at the same time.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

There's "Dal Riada" or "Dalriada" which is the name of the kingdom and the ruling class in Scottish & Irish mythology, so if I were to hazard a guess at the fictional translation of "Rhiadra" I'd say it means something like "Royal", "Noble" or "Princess" or something similar

Well, yeah.

Duh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

*gasp*

My faith in a stable and familiar world has been shaken forever. Nothing will ever be the same again.

Gadget is . . . PAUL????

I know. You should see how my in world friends have been reacting!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oddly, when I chose my last name, I went for "Rhiadra" because

seems Scylla that you a descendant of Cairbre Righfada also known as Cairbre Riada - Cairbre the long armed, who avenged the death of his father Conaire II, King of Ireland, by killing Nemed the Murderer at the battle of Cinfebrat in 237AD

after which your ancestor settled in a valley near Erin and raised a family. The family home place in time coming to be known as Dalriada - the vale of the riada family

so you are Scylla With The Long Arms

which is like fate because the Scylla of legend has long tentacle arms as well

royally long arms that is. Your Royal Highness 😸

edit add the source

Ecclesiastical Antiquities. Rev. William Reeves; page 319. Published 1306 AD

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=QBVXAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA319&lpg=PA319&dq=Righfada&source=bl&ots=kPeJfRzFow&sig=ACfU3U0-u5LiBIKKVbtRkPsRtXeQc9mxmA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-5dWr5vHoAhVRzjgGHXuUClwQ6AEwAnoECAoQMg#v=onepage&q=Righfada&f=false

Edited by Mollymews
typoe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wonderful Wonderful! I love delving into the history of Eire.
Hence my display last name of Echraide. (the pedigree of which I know inside out).
First name Aveline cause I wasn't bold enough to choose the first name Etain.
But my alt is Etain Echraide herself. ❤️ :) *\0/*
My RL clan harks from the same region many many moons ago and we have records of us being Kings guard.
In my wildest & loveliest dreams I am related to Etain. Which explains the in-world facial war paint. 
Somehow I don't ever see LL offering Echraide as a last name and I am very pleased about that. 

• Like 4

The avatar formerly known as Matty Luminos is now Maitimo.

I decided not to wait, and strip out the last name altogether, given that the only last name I would want is trademarked and they wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

The avatar formerly known as Matty Luminos is now Maitimo.

I decided not to wait, and strip out the last name altogether, given that the only last name I would want is trademarked and they wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

Sigh. Yes, this is gonna get confusing. :)

How do you pronounce Maitimo?

And to everyone out there changing your names, ffs don't change your avatar pictures for a while!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Sigh. Yes, this is gonna get confusing. :)

How do you pronounce Maitimo?

And to everyone out there changing your names, ffs don't change your avatar pictures for a while!

Pronunciation is just like Mighty-Mo. 😁 Stress on the first syllable.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

seems Scylla that you a descendant of Cairbre Righfada also known as Cairbre Riada - Cairbre the long armed, who avenged the death of his father Conaire II, King of Ireland, by killing Nemed the Murderer at the battle of Cinfebrat in 237AD

after which your ancestor settled in a valley near Erin and raised a family. The family home place in time coming to be known as Dalriada - the vale of the riada family

I KNEW IT!!!!!!

I had an old boyfriend who once told me that I was a "little princess"!

Clearly I was justified!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Maedhros from the Silmarillion?

(I wish I could say that I just knew that, but I had to Google it.)

Yes!  I am kinda obsessed with him... 😍  Maedhros is the Sindarin translation of the original Quenya. His full name is Nelyafinwe Maitimo but Noldor elves don't use names like we do, with a given name and a family name. Instead, the first name is given by the father and the second name given by the mother. The father-name is formal, the mother-name is informal, so Maitimo is what he would have used among friends and family.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Wonderful Wonderful! I love delving into the history of Eire.

i am the same. Who we are, who we are descended from, what land we were born and belong to has always been a large part of my family/whanau and our wider tribe/iwi. How we relate to each other and the place of our birth and where we live now. And also to greet/inform others we are meeting for the first time, as they inform us similarly

like my pepeha/greeting in a SL-like setting would be:

kia ora! Ko Molly ahau. I huaina toku tupuna ko Irihapeti. Te whenua o oku tupuna ko Hamnida. E noho ana ahau i te taha o te moana i Fyre Maven, i te atarangi o te maunga o Somerset

(english) Hi! I am Molly. My SL ancestor is Elizabeth. My (SL) ancestors/people are from Hamnida (SL first land). I live by the sea in Fyre Maven in the shadow of Mt Somerset

i picked my SL parcel because it is by the water (awa/moana) and in the sight/shadow of a maunga/mountain, things which are important to me also in my RL

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.