So, Who the Heck ARE You, anyway?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I found that site while browsing this afternoon.  It doesn't have some of the characters that I have in some old RL ones and it has that logo that only goes away with a paid account, but otherwise, looks very similar.

Ok theres a trick...  

make your gif including the logo

then use Gyazo - Capture Video and Gif

Draw your square around the area you want without the logo

and voila 

let me out.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

On 4/15/2020 at 12:36 AM, Joe Dallas said:

So now ... do I:

• Live with it?
  • Buy another name change?
  • Become the most flaming drag queen in SL out of spite?
  • "Kill" this account?

I guess it depends on a few things. Have you already spent enough on this avatar to give you pause about deleting it? Do you log in often enough and visit enough places that a lot of people would even see your name? The cost of meshing up a new alt with a body, head and one quality skin is about the same as a name-change so then its a question of how much else you've already spent on clothes, hair etc, and whether it's worth it, to you, to re-buy everything.

I'd be inclined to pay for another name-change if I was using the alt on a regular basis but if it's an alt that only comes out to play once in a blue moon, I'd just keep the name and make him the gayest thing that ever walked the grid. :)

Well, besides me, of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm not quite sure what exactly you're getting at here, Stranger . . .

😁

Sorry it was the only feature that I found in that signature app that looked like your Scylla.... Although yours is a Sea monster. I don't think it spits fire.

Edited by Stranger Hoxley
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
On 4/14/2020 at 4:36 PM, Joe Dallas said:

Yes, I am an alt.  No one would know my old name anyway (JosephFibonacci) but I paid for a last name.  Yay!

I picked Joseph originally because it is just an average name and Fibonacci because I am a math nerd.  So going with a new name, stick with Joe.

I looked through the list and saw Dallas. Yes!  A good name for a Texan.  Boom.  Grabbed it and done. 

So why does the name sound familiar?  Someone said something about it in world too ... so I Googled it up and ...

/headdesk

So now ... do I:

• Live with it?
  • Buy another name change?
  • Become the most flaming drag queen in SL out of spite?
  • "Kill" this account?

Anyway, take this as a lesson, kids.  30 seconds of research can save your alts!

Keep an eye out on your tickets Joe, a member of my team will be reaching out to you.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Tommy Linden said:

Keep an eye out on your tickets Joe, a member of my team will be reaching out to you.

Wow.  I am stunned.  Thank you so very very much!

[eta]

Ticket is closed .. I need to log off and back on and ... BINGO!

Edited by Joe Huntsman
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I should have done this the other day, but better late than never...  

I surprised myself by deciding to change my name from moirakathleen.  One time when I said I wasn't interested, someone said "don't you want to fix the lack of capitalization?" which hadn't bothered me previously, but after it was mentioned, I did think about it from time to time.  So, when the name changes became available, I took a look at the list of names and liked the sound of "Timmerman" and decided to go with just "Moira" for the first name. 

I'm still not used to seeing the new name show up on the screen.  Oddly, it shouldn't really make a difference, but it does feel different having a proper first name and last name. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

I should have done this the other day, but better late than never...  

I surprised myself by deciding to change my name from moirakathleen.  One time when I said I wasn't interested, someone said "don't you want to fix the lack of capitalization?" which hadn't bothered me previously, but after it was mentioned, I did think about it from time to time.  So, when the name changes became available, I took a look at the list of names and liked the sound of "Timmerman" and decided to go with just "Moira" for the first name. 

I'm still not used to seeing the new name show up on the screen.  Oddly, it shouldn't really make a difference, but it does feel different having a proper first name and last name. 

I love it! Now, I will never call you Kathleen again. 🥴xD

• Like 3

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

you start a business in woodwork now?
(timmerman = carpenter)

I did google the last names I was interested in, and saw that it was Dutch and meant carpenter.  If I was going to do some type of physical trade, some type of carpentry or woodwork would probably be my choice.  In RL I'd be really happy if I felt confident enough to take out my old kitchen cupboards and build my own new ones. 

Compared to some of the other choices, I felt I couldn't go too wrong with this one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I love it! Now, I will never call you Kathleen again. 🥴xD

1 hour ago, Moira Timmerman said:

I'd forgotten about that :)

"I'll Take You Home Again, Timmerman" just doesn't have the same cachet.

Still, congratulations!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/14/2020 at 5:18 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I know exactly how you feel. When I first created my name in 2008, I thought . . . choose something interesting, distinctive . . . with a different kind of "look" and a certain exoticism about it.

Imagine my utter horror when, later, I googled "Scylla" and found images like this:

414580795_ScyllaMonster-Blank.thumb.jpg.e43b1fe3631a518808d5f33c2b07e51f.jpg

More seriously . . . while part of me loves the idea of turning your avatar into a sort of running parody that mocks the actual "Joe Dallas," that would probably get boring pretty fast. Maybe just add a note to your profile explaining that you aren't homophobic, and that any resemblance to the real life guy is purely (and literally) accidental?

Sort of the same way I use mine to insist that I'm not actually a sailor-devouring monstrosity of horror.

Occasionally, someone even believes me.

First off, rest assured that the name "Rhun DeCuir" is going nowhere.  It may be a bit gauche, but I'm proud to have legacy name.  It's heritage!

Way back, in the distant past, when I first joined SL, I wanted a Welsh first name.  I had a list of names to try, and Rhun was the first one that was available.  "It sounds cool" I thought, and there is the whole Tolkien link.

Years later, I found out that in Welsh it's pronounced "reen".  I was not amused.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moira Timmerman said:

I did google the last names I was interested in, and saw that it was Dutch and meant carpenter.  If I was going to do some type of physical trade, some type of carpentry or woodwork would probably be my choice.  In RL I'd be really happy if I felt confident enough to take out my old kitchen cupboards and build my own new ones. 

My day job is assisting apprentice carpenters with a cognitive disability for the dept of education.
Been doing this for a good few years now and consequently I could pretty much build a house if I had to. (in theory 😆) lol
I have designed two sets of stairs in 3d, to perfect scale and helped my brother build them. One set has 5 treads and the other has 3.
They turned out absolutely perfectly and we saved about 5 thousand dollars compared to the quote we got from
the dept of health to supply stairs that were suitable for my mums walker and she just loves them!.
Talk about lucky!   

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.