So, Who the Heck ARE You, anyway?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Idk, but you' ll always be Marigold to me .. no matter what namechange you' ll do .. 😉

I'd never change my name, some people even call me Miss Devin in real life! And Marigold was a nickname in real life, and is the word I use when picking up my items from Argos (!). 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 5:36 PM, Rhun DeCuir said:

Years later, I found out that in Welsh it's pronounced "reen".  I was not amused.

I have a RL Welsh last name (via marriage) and was amused/surprised/slightly horrified when a Welshman pronounced it for us. :) It sounded like someone very phlemy clearing their throat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/14/2020 at 8:18 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I know exactly how you feel. When I first created my name in 2008, I thought . . . choose something interesting, distinctive . . . with a different kind of "look" and a certain exoticism about it.

Imagine my utter horror when, later, I googled "Scylla" and found images like this:

414580795_ScyllaMonster-Blank.thumb.jpg.e43b1fe3631a518808d5f33c2b07e51f.jpg

More seriously . . . while part of me loves the idea of turning your avatar into a sort of running parody that mocks the actual "Joe Dallas," that would probably get boring pretty fast. Maybe just add a note to your profile explaining that you aren't homophobic, and that any resemblance to the real life guy is purely (and literally) accidental?

Sort of the same way I use mine to insist that I'm not actually a sailor-devouring monstrosity of horror.

Occasionally, someone even believes me.

Wait. Wut? Are you saying you did NOT know Scylla was this sea monster at the time you created the name??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Wait. Wut? Are you saying you did NOT know Scylla was this sea monster at the time you created the name??

Oh, I knew. Sorry, I was just joking with Mr. Huntsman nee Dallas.

I'm pretty sure I've told this here before, but at the time, or a bit before, I joined SL I'd been doing some research and writing on images of "monstrous women" in literature. I don't remember my full rationale for choosing "Scylla" (other than maybe that it's a nicer name than "Echidna"), but I think I was being "ironic" in some way or another.

And maybe I wanted a name that might make me seem formidable or scary? (LOL)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2020 at 5:36 PM, Rhun DeCuir said:

I wanted a Welsh first name

Oddly, when I chose my last name, I went for "Rhiadra" because it sounded Welsh. Not that I am even the tiniest bit Welsh in heritage (that I know of), but I'd just read a novel with a really lovely Welsh protagonist whose name was Rhiannon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, I knew. Sorry, I was just joking with Mr. Dallas nee Huntsman.

I'm pretty sure I've told this here before, but at the time, or a bit before, I joined SL I'd been doing some research and writing on images of "monstrous women" in literature. I don't remember my full rationale for choosing "Scylla" (other than maybe that it's a nicer name than "Echidna"), but I think I was being "ironic" in some way or another.

And maybe I wanted a name that might make me seem formidable or scary? (LOL)

Whew. While I don't recall the actual story you just told here, no doubt that was in the back of my head as being the lore. I didn't get the joking with Joe (which is no doubt due to my impaired state). I would have had to reconfigure a lot of things in my head had you been unaware at the time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oddly, when I chose my last name, I went for "Rhiadra" because it sounded Welsh. Not that I am even the tiniest bit Welsh in heritage (that I know of), but I'd just read a novel with a really lovely Welsh protagonist whose name was Rhiannon.

Interesting. I am so clueless I originally picked a last name because I wanted to be a fairie, and it sounded sorta fae. Then over the years I had people asking me if I was Welsh. I had no idea the name I picked was very Welsh.~

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Technically, a shore monster, I thought?

Perhaps I am mistaken, don't know much about Greek mythology...

Well, I was going to respond quickly, that Scylla is sea monster, but wisely before I did so I thought to look it up to be sure, and it turns out it isn't that cut and dry, so to speak. https://www.ancient.eu/Scylla_and_Charybdis/   Scylla  turns out to live on a cliff or a rock in the middle of the sea strait, opposite Charybdis the whirlpool. She has 12 feet, all dangling in the air, and six long scrawny necks with huge heads that have triple rows of fangs. Up to her waist she is sunk into the cave (is that water?).  She snatches things...fish, people, boats out of the water. She's a danger to things in the sea. So... water or rock monster? A bit of both it seems. 

But @Scylla Rhiadra did you know that Scylla means "she who rends" AND/or "puppy"! Puppy?! Ha! Apparently Scylla could only make the noise of a puppy. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

She has 12 feet, all dangling in the air, and six long scrawny necks with huge heads that have triple rows of fangs.

Yeah, right. Try replicating that look with Maitreya Lara or Slink Physique.

5 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

did you know that Scylla means "she who rends" AND/or "puppy"! Puppy?! Ha! Apparently Scylla could only make the noise of a puppy.

I didn't!!!

Awwwwwww. 🙂

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Interesting. I am so clueless I originally picked a last name because I wanted to be a fairie, and it sounded sorta fae. Then over the years I had people asking me if I was Welsh. I had no idea the name I picked was very Welsh.~

A quick Google search reveals that "Rhiadra" appears to not be much of a RL name at all. There seem to be a small handful of people with it (or who use it), but the vast majority of the hits are SL avatar names.

So, maybe Sansaraan, or Gaetan, or Zindran instead of Welsh.

I'll have to ask mum. She'll know.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

A quick Google search reveals that "Rhiadra" appears to not be much of a RL name at all. There seem to be a small handful of people with it (or who use it), but the vast majority of the hits are SL avatar names.

So, maybe Sansaraan, or Gaetan, or Zindran instead of Welsh.

I'll have to ask mum. She'll know.

So what's the phonetic pronunciation of Rhiadra?

8 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

So what's the phonetic pronunciation of Rhiadra?

Well, there have been some pretty heated discussions about this at clan meetings and reunions, let me tell you.

But I (and those of us who pronounce it correctly) would say "Ree-AH-dra."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I pronounce it Ree-ah-dra in my head, will be interesting to hear the actual answer (for sure not the way I hear it, lol).

HAH!

Typed my response before I saw yours.

Clearly you come from the right side of the SL tracks.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, there have been some pretty heated discussions about this at clan meetings and reunions, let me tell you.

But I (and those of us who pronounce it correctly) would say "Ree-AH-dra."

My brain splits it up to 50% Ree-AH-dra and the other 50% is REED-rah. Luckily I've never been tested about this via voice, cuz who knows which half of my brain would have answered. ETA there is another 50% that wants to put an extra R in it for some reason: Rhiardra.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

REED-rah

Reminds me of an old cartoon show, He-Man, who IIRC also had She-Ra in it. My fave character though was Castaspella, a red-haired witch. Oh my, what a crush...

EDIT: which now makes me think of Wanda Maximoff, my fave character in the Marvel movies...I am such a crazy person that I write fan fiction in my head where she is queer, and pairs up with Nebula (who is of course *also* queer!!!) and lives happily ever after...

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

My brain splits it up to 50% Ree-AH-dra and the other 50% is REED-rah. Luckily I've never been tested about this via voice, cuz who knows which half of my brain would have answered. ETA there is another 50% that wants to put an extra R in it for some reason: Rhiardra.

Well, I am glad you giving a 150% there, Sicker. ;)

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Is that really you Gadget?

It IS. The last name is a great in-joke for people that know me, and the first name is actually my RL first name.

19 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Why does this make me feel weird ? A bit goosepimply?

It's gotta be that last name.

13 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You're pretty cool... for an alien.

That movie was great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Clearly you do not know Welshmen.  By now I think everyone has at least some heritage.

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, I knew. Sorry, I was just joking with Mr. Huntsman nee Dallas....

I shall sign myself Miss Nova nee 2358 from now on.... naaaa...

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.