So, Who the Heck ARE You, anyway?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

OK, I have looked at this ten times, and I feel pretty sure those are both the same word...

Oopsie.  Fixed it.

3 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Sorry, but other than the people you knew IRL behind the avis, you really never did. And how well do any of us really know anyone?

I KNOW that.  It doesn't make the slightest difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe Dallas said:

Yes, I am an alt.  No one would know my old name anyway (JosephFibonacci) but I paid for a last name.  Yay!

I picked Joseph originally because it is just an average name and Fibonacci because I am a math nerd.  So going with a new name, stick with Joe.

I looked through the list and saw Dallas. Yes!  A good name for a Texan.  Boom.  Grabbed it and done. 

So why does the name sound familiar?  Someone said something about it in world too ... so I Googled it up and ...

/headdesk

So now ... do I:

• Live with it?
  • Buy another name change?
  • Become the most flaming drag queen in SL out of spite?
  • "Kill" this account?

Anyway, take this as a lesson, kids.  30 seconds of research can save your alts!

You fell into one of the classic blunders!

So did my hilariously funny friend, Trout Recreant.  When he picked his last name, he thought it had something to do with vacations or recreation.  Later, he looked it up and found that it's an old-fashioned word for "oath-breaker".  He hated his name ever after.

• Like 1

I *was* Amandakeen Resident, now Amanda Crisp.

My display name will remain Amanda Keen inworld. My internet domain and personal email are kinda based on “Keen”

”Crisp” is a good description of me after a day at the beach though.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29f9781dbadbfe74360b

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Amanda Crisp said:

I *was* Amandakeen Resident, now Amanda Crisp.

My display name will remain Amanda Keen inworld. My internet domain and personal email are kinda based on “Keen”

”Crisp” is a good description of me after a day at the beach though.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29f9781dbadbfe74360b

do you now need to change your forum signature pic?

ETA nevermind  I read your post again... distracted by rachel 

Edited by Cindy Evanier
dumb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Yours is undoubtedly one of the best forum avatars Cindy.
It always has been as far as I recall in this forum version.

Thank you.  I wish I could find the site again where I made it but sadly it was one of those things lost when my hard drive had to be replaced

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I know exactly how you feel. When I first created my name in 2008, I thought . . . choose something interesting, distinctive . . . with a different kind of "look" and a certain exoticism about it.

Imagine my utter horror when, later, I googled "Scylla" and found images like this:

414580795_ScyllaMonster-Blank.thumb.jpg.e43b1fe3631a518808d5f33c2b07e51f.jpg

More seriously . . . while part of me loves the idea of turning your avatar into a sort of running parody that mocks the actual "Joe Dallas," that would probably get boring pretty fast. Maybe just add a note to your profile explaining that you aren't homophobic, and that any resemblance to the real life guy is purely (and literally) accidental?

Sort of the same way I use mine to insist that I'm not actually a sailor-devouring monstrosity of horror.

Occasionally, someone even believes me.

It always worries me that SEA MONSTERS (and Politicians) always have their mouths open...

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

do you now need to change your forum signature pic?

ETA nevermind  I read your post again... distracted by rachel 

If only in my own opinion, I’ll always be Keen 🙂

Edited by Amanda Crisp
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I know exactly how you feel. When I first created my name in 2008, I thought . . . choose something interesting, distinctive . . . with a different kind of "look" and a certain exoticism about it.

Imagine my utter horror when, later, I googled "Scylla" and found images like this:

414580795_ScyllaMonster-Blank.thumb.jpg.e43b1fe3631a518808d5f33c2b07e51f.jpg

Utter horror is Googling your name expecting to find that sort of thing and getting a bunch of pictures of Dog the Bounty Hunter's kid. 🤮

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Thank you.  I wish I could find the site again where I made it but sadly it was one of those things lost when my hard drive had to be replaced

I have this same gif avatar, except with my RL name - made for a gaming forum long ago.  I can't find the site anymore either.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Joe Dallas said:

Yes, I am an alt.  No one would know my old name anyway (JosephFibonacci) but I paid for a last name.  Yay!

I picked Joseph originally because it is just an average name and Fibonacci because I am a math nerd.  So going with a new name, stick with Joe.

I looked through the list and saw Dallas. Yes!  A good name for a Texan.  Boom.  Grabbed it and done. 

So why does the name sound familiar?  Someone said something about it in world too ... so I Googled it up and ...

/headdesk

So now ... do I:

• Live with it?
  • Buy another name change?
  • Become the most flaming drag queen in SL out of spite?
  • "Kill" this account?

Anyway, take this as a lesson, kids.  30 seconds of research can save your alts!

I think in this case I would contact support and tell them what happened, and that you didn't realize you had chosen the name of a truly vile human being and don't want people thinking you are in any way supportive of him and ask them to let you chose another name without having to pay the $40.

They might say no but it doesn't hurt to ask.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:
11 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

This looks like you can use it to make something similar: https://www.gif-mania.net/animated-signatures/

I found that site while browsing this afternoon.  It doesn't have some of the characters that I have in some old RL ones and it has that logo that only goes away with a paid account, but otherwise, looks very similar.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1461 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.