Second Life job ad

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Build computer systems stuff
  • Fix computer systems stuff
  • Keep bad people out of our stuff
  • Write tools to make stuff easier
  • Respond to stuff that broke
  • Split up fights between groups of computers
  • Get paged and get mad at PagerDuty at odd hours
  • Move stuff to the glorious future of the cloud
  • Try not to yell at developers and vendors
  • Be proud of the virtual world we help run

What would be awesome:
  • Familiarity with and enthusiasm for Second Life is a huge plus.
  • Lots of knowledge of AWS and its pieces and parts.
  • Having the ability to lead projects from start to finish with grace.
  • A sense of humor and a never-ending curiosity to love the really creative things our Residents do within our virtual world, especially when they do it in ways we didn’t think was possible.

This is a good job ad. LL's previous job ads read like boilerplate from some HR type. This one was written by someone with a clue.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

11 hours ago, animats said:
  • Build computer systems stuff
  • Fix computer systems stuff
  • Keep bad people out of our stuff
  • Write tools to make stuff easier
  • Respond to stuff that broke
  • Split up fights between groups of computers
  • Get paged and get mad at PagerDuty at odd hours
  • Move stuff to the glorious future of the cloud
  • Try not to yell at developers and vendors
  • Be proud of the virtual world we help run

What would be awesome:
  • Familiarity with and enthusiasm for Second Life is a huge plus.
  • Lots of knowledge of AWS and its pieces and parts.
  • Having the ability to lead projects from start to finish with grace.
  • A sense of humor and a never-ending curiosity to love the really creative things our Residents do within our virtual world, especially when they do it in ways we didn’t think was possible.

This is a good job ad. LL's previous job ads read like boilerplate from some HR type. This one was written by someone with a clue.

What's missing in this job ad:

Send in your resume and if you are successful we will be in touch to organise an interview Soon™

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, April Linden said:

Oh, thanks!

@Ekim Linden and I teamed up to write that together. We wanted to come up with a very honest description of what it's like to work in Operations for Second Life. I think we did an okay job! :)

And that EDS cat herding commercial! I've been using that for years to tell my relatives what I do for a living. :)

April

I think your ad is brilliant. I especially like the part about splitting up fighting computers.  

If I didn't live in a country far, far away, and if I knew the first thing about IT, it's the sort of ad I would apply for myself.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, animats said:
  •  
What would be awesome:

Except very concerning that there is no mention of diversity or equity. 

May I ask LL: how many people of color or the LGBTQ+ community do you currently employ...?

2 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

May I ask LL: how many people of color or the LGBTQ+ community do you currently employ...?

Dude, they're based in San Fransisco. I'd lay a bet that it's more than half their staff.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

Right there on their jobs page:

JOIN OUR TEAM

Linden Lab celebrates diversity of thought, cultural differences, lifestyle, age, background, experience, religion, economic and social status, gender identity and marital status. Building a culture of inclusion allows us to create and share experiences with each other, and with our virtual communities. We always seek to maintain a diverse and welcoming workplace, and candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

Your complaints do not apply to LL. Their web page says it - their inworld participation in LGBTQ+ events says it - and some of their avatars show it.

Find something valid to whine about.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, clivesteel said:

As LL is unlikely to be an affirmative action employer (to the best of my knowledge, they have no government contracts) they would not be required to include the "qualified minorities and women are encouraged to apply" bit.  Also, asking LL the number of people of color employed is rather pointless if you do not have data regarding the diversity of the qualified labor pool in the relevant labor market (which this ad doesn't even state), or the size of of the workforce.  Having 10 out of 1000 minority employees in Vermont would be better "diversity performance" than 10 out of 100 in Atlanta.

I notice you did not ask how many women they employ.  The same "concern" you raise could easily be raised about your question's lack of inquiry into the number of female employees, particularly given the often-noted lack of women in technology fields.

Finally, given that there is no government requirement to solicit sexual orientation information from a workforce and report on it, it would be very concerning indeed if LL could give you an accurate, specific answer to the LGBTQ portion.  Soliciting information that is related to protected class/status from applicants or employees, when not required by law to do so, is a wonderful way to solicit lawsuits.  Don't believe me?  Try asking an candidate who appears to be over 40 when they graduated college, and get back to me when your ADEA lawsuit settles.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I notice you did not ask how many women they employ.  The same "concern" you raise could easily be raised about your question's lack of inquiry into the number of female employees, particularly given the often-noted lack of women in technology fields.

Clive doesn't like women and thus that question is totally irrelevant to him.

Or, I guess I should reword that -- Clive thinks that women are inferior.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Clive doesn't like women and thus that question is totally irrelevant to him.

Or, I guess I should reword that -- Clive thinks that women are inferior.  

Pfft women are clearly the superior sex.  Physically weaker (on average), they still manage to run the world by running the men, and letting the men think they run things.

I was surprised how hard it is to find an image of a woman with men on puppet strings.  Clearly the women at Google have purged the internet of such divisive images, so as to keep men from learning the truth...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Pfft women are clearly the superior sex.  Physically weaker (on average), they still manage to run the world by running the men, and letting the men think they run things.

I was surprised how hard it is to find an image of a woman with men on puppet strings.  Clearly the women at Google have purged the internet of such divisive images, so as to keep men from learning the truth...

And clearly the men don't know how to use Google, either.

download.jpg.7a6178c9840978076e9ac4b36943496a.jpg

• Haha 7

21 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

And clearly the men don't know how to use Google, either.

download.jpg.7a6178c9840978076e9ac4b36943496a.jpg

I found that one - I just have higher standards than you do 😛

Besides, I said "men", that is only 1.  I was thinking something along the lines of the Master of Puppets album cover, but with men instead of tombstones, maybe with well manicured nails on the fingers...

Pyramid International Metallica Framed Canvas Print Master of Puppets 40 x 40 cm

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I found that one - I just have higher standards than you do 😛

Besides, I said "men", that is only 1.  I was thinking something along the lines of the Master of Puppets album cover, but with men instead of tombstones, maybe with well manicured nails on the fingers...

Those are all on the secret Google for Women site.

MjAxMy04NjI3NTM2MGQ3NTc1MDE5.png.425cb0cfb5e60aaaa2680465e3fc8a46.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Those are all on the secret Google for Women site.

MjAxMy04NjI3NTM2MGQ3NTc1MDE5.png.425cb0cfb5e60aaaa2680465e3fc8a46.png

That is indeed Perfect.

The worst thing the feminist movement did is get men to cook for themselves.  Give us good nookie and cookies, and there's pretty much nothing we won't do in return.  Move boxes, shovel snow, overthrow a government, it's all good as long as everything between sternum and thighs is happy.  We're such simple and useful creatures.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Right there on their jobs page:

JOIN OUR TEAM

Linden Lab celebrates diversity of thought, cultural differences, lifestyle, age, background, experience, religion, economic and social status, gender identity and marital status. Building a culture of inclusion allows us to create and share experiences with each other, and with our virtual communities. We always seek to maintain a diverse and welcoming workplace, and candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.

This has got me curious. Does America have an anti discrimination law that states that an employer can not discriminate from these kind of things? Just find it interesting that over in Australia we don't need such clauses in Job adverts as we just hire the best suited. Though I am sure there are a few that do discriminate over here, the laws in place allow the potential candidate to then claim discrimination and have the business fined etc.

Edited by Drayke Newall

24 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

This has got me curious. Does America have an anti discrimination law that states that an employer can not discriminate from these kind of things? Just find it interesting that over in Australia we don't need such clauses in Job adverts as we just hire the best suited. Though I am sure there are a few that do discriminate over here, the laws in place allow the potential candidate to then claim discrimination and have the business fined etc.

Same thing as the US has. Of course, the potential candidate can claim discrimination but then they also have to prove it. A quick peek at the Australia Human Rights Commission website tells me it's not all sunshine and roses down under, either. 

Edited by Beth Macbain
Accidentally a word.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

A quick peek at the Australia Human Rights Commission website tells me it's not all sunshine and roses down under, either. 

Never said it was, pretty sure I even said that there are probably some people that do discriminate. I simply said we don't have such clauses on our job adverts as we hire based on who is best for the job.

5 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

If you go far enough down that rabbit hole, you can even find honest instances in the US where someone less qualified got the job because of laws like those, and it made a real mess.

The whole "unintended consequences" thing. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.