Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
30 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Conspiracy theorists have an agenda -- to distrust Science or anything they're incapable of understanding, and to find evidence that the government is taking over their life. You can't evaluate these matters without keeping in mind that this agenda influences their conclusions to a great degree.

Interesting from the perspective that aside from you, most other Left wing people I've seen posting about the vaccine have mentioned that they are content to wait till there is enough other guinea pigs err people to try it first before they do. Noone else is that trusting of the science as it relates to a rushed to market vaccine. Your assumption that it is only right wingers that distrust the science doesn't really stand up to close scrutiny.

Some on the 'left', including myself, are wary that's true -- cautious. But I don't think the vaccine could give me Covid! lol  There is no virus in the vaccine.  And an example of some on the 'left' distrusting something Scientific does not prove they are just as distrustful of Science as those on the 'right' are. I've never said only right-wingers distrust Science.

Last I checked the polls show close to 70% trust the vaccine now.  It's by far the 'right' who distrust it more.

What I'm talking about regarding distrust in Science goes beyond evaluations of Covid vaccines though -- many on the 'right' distrust authority and fear loss of freedom to a greater degree than those on the 'left'. So they are generally more distrusting of Science, government, and institutions in general, and prone to conspiracy theories to explain what they can't understand.

Edited by Luna Bliss

44 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Interesting from the perspective that aside from you, most other Left wing people I've seen posting about the vaccine have mentioned that they are content to wait till there is enough other guinea pigs err people to try it first before they do. Noone else is that trusting of the science as it relates to a rushed to market vaccine. Your assumption that it is only right wingers that distrust the science doesn't really stand up to close scrutiny.

Huh? I don't know a single person in real life who isn't eager to get the vaccine as soon as possible, and I'll gladly get either the Moderna or Biontech vaccine the moment one is available for me. Probably the J&J one too if the results look comparable. I haven't studied the AstraZeneca one well enough to judge, but the fact it's going into millions of arms with no widespread adverse reactions suggests it's just as safe.

I do try to find some silver lining in the sad fact it will still be months before I'm eligible to get vaccinated -- for example, when I mentioned that others who got the vaccine already will be the ones who, year(s) later, get the virus thus revealing how soon those booster shots will be needed. And probably the longer I have to wait, the more complete the list of different allergies these various vaccines can trigger (although not so much in my case, having never had an allergic reaction to anything).

But regardless of those rationalizations, I would have been honored and grateful to be the very first vaccinated after the emergency use authorization. I don't trust Trump's FDA, but I do trust science and the doctors on that panel.

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

most other Left wing people I've seen posting about the vaccine have mentioned that they are content to wait till there is enough other guinea pigs err people to try it first before they do.

Seriously, Arielle, where do you get nonsense like this from? Do you just make it up?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Seriously, Arielle, where do you get nonsense like this from? Do you just make it up?

I read what is written. You?

You need to get out more. Just because a few here who say they're on the left expressed some wariness doesn't mean all people on the left do, or even the majority of them.

What if I thought you, repeatedly insisting you are "center-left" yet gives links to all things super alt-right, represented all people on the left?

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

No, what she is saying is the right are the ones posting conspiracy theories as facts about the vaccine.    Plenty on both sides are choosing to wait.  

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You need to get out more. Just because a few here who say they're on the left expressed some wariness doesn't mean all people on the left do, or even the majority of them.

What if I thought you, repeatedly insisting you are "center-left" yet gives links to all things super alt-right, represented all people on the left?

Yes, you've convinced me that I am more right of center then left regardless of what one of those silly sites said I was because of the answers I provided. From what I have seen you portray a good lefty to be, I have come to the conclusion I can't do that and maintain any semblance  of sanity.

Go Trump Go!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I read what is written. You?

Where? Where did you find an analysis that suggests that most lefties are reluctant to take the vaccine? And based upon what? The few friends on their FB feed?

"What is written"? That's what you can come up with?

• Like 1

Just now, iceing Braveheart said:

OMG THE SKY IS FALLING ONCE AGAIN

The fact that all you do is post items from off the wall conspiracy websites is disturbing.

InfoWars is an American far-right conspiracy theory and fake news website owned by Alex Jones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Given that as of this time last week, only about 30% of the available vaccines had been administered here in the US**, those that want to wait don't have to worry a bit.  There will be lots of waiting, even by those that don't want to wait.

** source: https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-us-covid-vaccine-doses-unused-vaccinations-administered-1558975

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yes, you've convinced me that I am more right of center then left regardless of what one of those silly sites said I was because of the answers I provided. From what I have seen you portray a good lefty to be, I have come to the conclusion I can't do that and maintain any semblance  of sanity.

Go Trump Go!

Screw that.

I'm not a member of any political party because of this kind of bs in your post and the bs in this thread. I'm on the side of the people and what works best for everyone. Screw your political party bs. 

Go HUMANS Go!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Where? Where did you find an analysis that suggests that most lefties are reluctant to take the vaccine? And based upon what? The few friends on their FB feed?

"What is written"? That's what you can come up with?

Here on the forum in this or another thread a couple months ago, a number of Dem's admitted they were leery or wary of getting the vaccine first. Likely that has changed now as I see the poll numbers in the real world have climbed considerably for both left and right.

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Screw that.

I'm not a member of any political party because of this kind of bs in your post and the bs in this thread. I'm on the side of the people and what works best for everyone. Screw your political party bs. 

Go HUMANS Go!

Well I am not a member of any political party either and if I do vote will usually pick the candidate I like better regardless of their party affiliation. At the same time I recognize that one solution does not fit all and that the only real hope is that over time each will get what they need even if it isn't immediately.

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Here on the forum in this or another thread a couple months ago, a number of Dem's admitted they were leery or wary of getting the vaccine first. Likely that has changed now as I see the poll numbers in the real world have climbed considerably for both left and right.

I think I remember the conversation you're talking about, a few of us in this thread said we were unsure if we'd be first in line for the vaccine as it had been produced so quickly. But I don't remember it being political, it was when the vaccine was first announced.

I've since realised that if I don't have it, I'm just going to spend forever risking ending up on a ventilator. Anyway I'm way down the queue, I doubt I'll get the chance before summer. 

I don't think anyone minds if people worry about the vaccine because they think it might be underdeveloped or ineffective. It's just bananas if someone refuses it because they think it's part of a UN plot to wipe out half the world's population, or because some politician was trying to act tough. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.