Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

in the midst of a pandemic with infection rates still skyrocketing, a new President creates a new immigration policy that anybody can come here, zero immigration paperwork, and US taxpayers will cover any and all healthcare expenses for you

Brilliant!

links please

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

People engage in conspiratorial thinking in order to feel they have control over a scary, overwhelming world. Usually simple and more comprehensible solutions are a part of 'the sekrit solutions'.

Easier to think about the ways masks cause harm, or the dangers of vaccines, instead of the reality of what's going on -- people are dropping dead like flies around us right now.

I find doing my own research mixed with common sense has been working for me so far..

I think taking both sides with a block of salt and doing the homework for ourselves is the best way..

The election year is over, so hopefully things will calm down a bit and be more concentrated on the actual problem..

Hopefully people won't have to sit and wait through another 6 months of bickering to get help with one side having the control..

That should be a good thing I think, because they sure need it badly..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes this happened after actual white supremacists entered the forum. They are quite angry at this point due to the election loss, and political discussions draw them out.

Whatever gets the baby in the bath tub, at least it's happening.. hehehe

27 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The election year is over, so hopefully things will calm down a bit and be more concentrated on the actual problem..

I hope so, though am quite wary.

At least I haven't seen reports of disturbed people running around licking the food in grocery stores of late....

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I hope so, though am quite wary.

At least I haven't seen reports of disturbed people running around licking the food in grocery stores of late....

EEewww, That reminded me of that story of the guy that licked this girls doorbell for 3 hours..He was caught because her security system captured the whole thing on video..:ph34r:

close up video too..

I'd have to have the whole panel replaced just because of the creep factor and it never being clean enough ever again..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I wouldn't hold your breath for that.  I don't foresee either side mellowing out, even a little, any time in the near future.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

I certainly believe alt medicine and nutrition have benefits for some people.

They probably do. I'm practically vegetarian, drink Cranberry juice to ward off UTIs and use turmeric, curcumin and ginger in cooking for both health benefits and because I like their flavors (mostly the latter). I have worked up my own physical therapy routines involving eyebrow raising amounts of cervical traction.

I believe I've had positive results, but my sample size is statistically insignificant. Nevertheless, they are my results. I see lots of people who make the potentially dangerous assumption that their anecdotal evidence must always be significant. I take myself with more than a pinch of salt and never recommend anything I do to anyone else.

Over my life, I've had dozens of vaccinations, numerous rounds of antibiotics, and chemotherapy. I've used antihistamines, analgesics, diuretics, and laxatives. I've had major and minor surgeries, with their attendant anesthetics and medications. I tolerate most medications well, but anesthetics often make me nauseous. I ameliorate that by taking diphenhydramine.

After injuring myself a few years ago, I was described by the surgeon who patched me up as "pathologically curious and upbeat". Possibly the most used medication on Earth is Placebo™. It's readily obtainable, inexpensive, but not without potentially harmful effects, such as avoidance of helpful action.

For most of the 49 years I knew her, my emergency backup mother (EBM) complained of the "horrible service" she received from the shops in town, and from her health care providers. For many of those years, I shopped in the same stores and had the same family practice physician. I got wonderful service from everyone, have a great relationship with my doc, and have been on first-name terms with people in almost every store I frequent. My EBM and I often shopped together, and I was able to see that the level of service we received was actually different, but not by much.

It's important to recognize that we are one common factor in every experience we have and to try to understand how that affects those experiences and our perception of and reaction to them.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool.”  Richard Feynman

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Added to the second last paragraph to acknowledge that we affect our experiences.
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

EEewww, That reminded me of that story of the guy that licked this girls doorbell for 3 hours..He was caught because her security system captured the whole thing on video..:ph34r:

close up video too..

I'd have to have the whole panel replaced just because of the creep factor and it never being clean enough ever again..

Saliva has anti-bacterial properties. That's why dogs lick their wounds. You know this, Ceka!

4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:
4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Have you been censored here?

Not by LL but surely I have made it on some people's block lists and would hazard a guess some of my posts reported. If not, I haven't been trying hard enough. 😃

Are you suggesting that being ignored is censorship? That other people expressing themselves via ARs is censorship?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Are you suggesting that being ignored is censorship? That other people expressing themselves via ARs is censorship?

Well to be ignored is a form of individual censorship but well within our rights. When that is extended to AR'ing individuals who post content that one doesn't agree with, it is basically saying that others shouldn't have the right to the choice of whether to listen or see that content either. Just because the mods may not agree with the AR does not cancel out the intent of the AR'ing individual.

It's not easy to get into someone else's mind and determine "intent," so that's a tricky rabbit hole to run down. Looking at this thread from the outside, it looked to me like one person who has now vanished was not injecting opinion as much as spamming the thread with a flood of links and very little commentary to give them context.  The Community Guidelines do include a rule about not spamming, and they give the moderators latitude in deciding how much is too much.  It seems like they did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Arielle that it's hard to TOTALLY leave out politics, as some people will want to vent about how badly governments are handling the situation. It makes no sense that the UK's in its third lockdown but it's taken all this time to finally restrict air flights (though is fine to fly to Ireland, which is now being really badly hit! :S ) And I think it's OK to call out politicians for breaking the rules they introduced, while others are following them...

But all the stuff about Brexit, Donald Trump vs Joe Biden, vaccine conspiracies, etc, belongs in a separate thread, IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

maybe it's been mentioned before, but this guy's youtube channel is a great source for non-medical laypersons to get updates on vaccine, treatment and social measures for controlling spread (and he's non partisan). I've learned a lot from watching his channel.

dr.jpg.d9d670f31ae441c53796854ef6924b95.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Saliva has anti-bacterial properties. That's why dogs lick their wounds. You know this, Ceka!

I know a human bite is worse than a dog bite..Nasty nasty humans..hehehe

They could be licking all kinds of virus or disease all over that thing.. hehehe

The filthy animals ..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well damn, going to have to expose myself to Covid by letting a repair person into my home. My hot water heater bit the dust...

Is it leaking or just not heating?

Also, is it gas or electric

Edited by Ceka Cianci

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Is it leaking or just not heating?

I'm not sure if it's leaking but I really should check. I have to move a bunch of stuff out of the way to descend into the cellar....encountering spiders and dust...so procrastinating checking it out.  I heard a weird noise last night, but it could have been the cats.

* circuit breakers ok

Edited by Luna Bliss

22 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

@Selene Gregoire

Exactly what is so funny about what I just expressed?

I found it amusing since we had to not only replace our hot water heater, we had to completely redo ALL of the plumbing just 4 or 5 months ago. We still have to replace the flooring and subflooring from all the water damage, if we can ever afford to do so. If all you have to do is replace the heater, you're getting off easy.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

gas...and makes me nervous as my furnace is down there too.

I think it needs electricity to run though, as does my gas furnace.

your water heater shouldn't need electricity to run if it's gas.. not unless it has a blower for the flu..

I'd just make sure you're not spilling water everywhere down there.

Are you getting hot water still?

19 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I found it amusing since we had to not only replace our hot water heater, we had to completely redo ALL of the plumbing just 4 or 5 months ago. We still have to replace the flooring and subflooring from all the water damage, if we can ever afford to do so. If all you have to do is replace the heater, you're getting off easy.

That's why we have all that stuff in it's own room out in the garages of all our buildings.. plus we installed an instant water heating system for our house ,so we don't have a big tank, but a tiny boiler that heats it up really quick.. it's a really nice system..

What kind of pipes did you have in the house, was it galvanized? We made sure we had copper when it was built..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.