Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Critical thinking is a practice to be learned, but not easily taught.  We learn through focused trial and error, developing the ability to anticipate outcomes by introspective study of our failures.  What can be taught are patience and the skill of focusing.  Or that's the way it seems to me.

I can't recall the first first years of my learning, other than through the stories my parents told. I doubt their parenting style was any different during the years I do recall. They did what very few parents and teachers seem to do, a mix of leading the way, and getting the hell out of it.

Questions were always welcome in our house, and always being asked. I can't recall how many times I'd hear mom or dad say "Oooh, this is curious!", followed by an investigation. Questions often resulted in discussions and demonstrations. My parents clearly loved learning, about everything. Knowledge had intrinsic value and acquiring it was fun.

Before you know a thing, you are often wrong about it. Somehow, most of us learn that being wrong is... wrong. It's not, it's our default state, out of which we learn. If we think that being wrong is wrong, rather than expose ourselves to the derision of being found out, we just keep our heads down. If we understand that being wrong is natural, we can keep our heads up and... change our minds.

Patience is also terribly important. The value of knowledge isn't always immediately apparent. We have to trust that gathering it will eventually pay off. That gets back to believing in the intrinsic value of knowledge and changing your mind as you acquire it. You have to forego the immediate pleasure of believing you fully grasp a thing to embrace the perpetual uncertainty that results from questioning yourself. I'm comfortable with uncertainty, many people are not.

In a world where you we now find soulmates for any belief we have, it's so easy to find a comfortable place to revel in our ignorance.

There is, I suppose, a spectrum between...

The journey is the reward.

and...

There's no place like home.

I don't know how much choice I have about where I fall on that spectrum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

lol well Maddy I imagine your critical thinking skills are operating better than the QAnon people who overtook the Capitol the day before yesterday   :)

Researching, and it appears that....

"Critical thinking is the analysis of an issue or situation and the facts, data or evidence related to it. Ideally, critical thinking is to be done objectively—meaning without influence from personal feelings, opinions or biases—and it focuses solely on factual information.

Critical thinking is a skill that allows you to make logical and informed decisions to the best of your ability".
~~~~~~~~~
What do we do with people like this woman, those who descended upon our Capitol the day before yesterday, the QAnon conspiracy theorists who believe the Democrats are running pedophile rings and that Trump is actually Jesus returning to save us all, and that Covid is a hoax?  How did their thinking get so messed up and how can they be returned to some semblance of sanity?

What do I do with people like you?

What do you do with people like me?

;-).

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Before you know a thing, you are often wrong about it. Somehow, most of us learn that being wrong is... wrong. It's not, it's our default state, out of which we learn.

Exactly.  Failure is a great teacher.  One of the best commencement addresses that I ever heard was delivered by a friend of mine at Iowa State many years ago.  Paraphrasing very closely, he said, "If you find that you are always succeeding, chances are good that you are just not trying hard enough.  If you set your expectations higher, you will fail every once in a while .... and you will learn from it.  So, graduates ... Get out there and fail!"  I thought that was wonderful advice.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Well, I get to go back to work Sunday night.. My test results came in and they are negative..

I kind of wish I had gotten it so I could just get it over with once and for all..

I'm so ready to go back, but hate the fact that I can still get it..

I'm still negative.  I have had many tests.   

I am glad I did not get it and am still negative.  

I just read Los Angeles is like a "war zone".  It's terrible!  I don't know what we are going to do but I am sick and tired of the circus in Washington taking up the media whilst coronavirus problems get pushed under the rug.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hospitals-look-like-war-zones-in-southern-california-paramedics-say/ar-BB1cze7t?li=BBnb7Kz

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I'm still negative.  I have had many tests.   

I am glad I did not get it and am still negative.  

I just read Los Angeles is like a "war zone".  It's terrible!  I don't know what we are going to do but I am sick and tired of the circus in Washington taking up the media whilst coronavirus problems get pushed under the rug.  

I pretty much stopped listening to media around election time.. It just got way too crazy to listen to on just about any subject..

I think Tennessee is still the worst state right now per capita, but i haven't checked in a few days, so it may not be anymore.. We should be getting those Christmas numbers pretty soon.. I hope they are much better than the Thanks Giving numbers and people wised up a little more..

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

lol well Maddy I imagine your critical thinking skills are operating better than the QAnon people who overtook the Capitol the day before yesterday   :)

Researching, and it appears that....

"Critical thinking is the analysis of an issue or situation and the facts, data or evidence related to it. Ideally, critical thinking is to be done objectively—meaning without influence from personal feelings, opinions or biases—and it focuses solely on factual information.

Critical thinking is a skill that allows you to make logical and informed decisions to the best of your ability".
~~~~~~~~~
What do we do with people like this woman, those who descended upon our Capitol the day before yesterday, the QAnon conspiracy theorists who believe the Democrats are running pedophile rings and that Trump is actually Jesus returning to save us all, and that Covid is a hoax?  How did their thinking get so messed up and how can they be returned to some semblance of sanity?

Expand  

What do I do with people like you?

What do you do with people like me?

;-).

Well I hope somebody does something, says something, about either you or me if we behave in a destructive way that harms the world :)

I'm an activist, you know...I believe in trying to change society so there's less suffering and the powerful are less able to rule over and stunt the lives of the less-powerful.

People died at the capitol two days ago. We were (and possibly still are) a stones throw away from living in an autocratic society due to these crazed people who don't recognize the value of Democracy.

You would never have been able to have the job you had in engineering had you been born X number of years ago, as women weren't allowed, and this injustice was only changed through those who saw the unfairness in such an arrangement and sought to actively change it. Likewise for me -- my life would have been stunted had I been born years ago.

Sometimes we have to 'take to the streets' and behave more forcefully -- activism has been a big part of major changes we've had in society. Power does not concede power willingly.

Now with a friend or neighbor, or a forumite, a more delicate approach should be applied first of course. But if someone is harming another there's nothing wrong with telling them "you are wrong -- harming another is wrong".

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I pretty much stopped listening to media around election time.. It just got way too crazy to listen to on just about any subject..

I think Tennessee is still the worst state right now per capita, but i haven't checked in a few days, so it may not be anymore.. We should be getting those Christmas numbers pretty soon.. I hope they are much better than the Thanks Giving numbers and people wised up a little more..

I added a link up above.  

I don't want to get involved in the media circus in Washington but I have no TV so if I go to main page news for coronavirus updates, I see the headlines and see the photos.  I mean the media circus in Washington is taking up the media while important coronavirus news is over-looked.  

I just wanted to add I don't understand why our American leaders aren't calling on the military to help.  

14 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I just read Los Angeles is like a "war zone".  It's terrible!  I don't know what we are going to do

It scares me to watch the Covid news coming out of the LA area right now...    :(

Biden is live now, speaking on Covid and relief packages..

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Supply oxygen for one; transportation to ships, whatever they can.  National guard too.  

As far as bury the dead, possibly.  

Write or call your Governor.  He is the one that has to call out the National Guard to help.  That would be the first tier of any sort of military help.   

Never mind, it appears that your National Guard is already helping, thus your request has been granted.  They might not be doing the exact things that you mentioned, but I suppose you could talk to your Governor about that.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It is based on a story from a different source though as per the provided link in the story:

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2021/01/covid-19-outbreak-at-auburn-nursing-home-infects-137-residents-kills-24.html

However, the Syracuse article says "The outbreak at The Commons on St. Anthony in Auburn started Dec. 21 as a wave of post-Thanksgiving Covid-19 cases began hitting the county, said Julie Sheedy, an official of Loretto which operates the 300-bed nursing home." and does not say anything about the outbreak being caused by the vaccines. 

Also from the Syracuse article:

"Forty-seven employees have tested positive." and "There have been 3,650 confirmed Covid-19 cases in Cayuga since the pandemic began. Nearly half of those cases have been reported since Dec. 21." 

It sounds to me very plausible that the cases were from the increased post-Thanksgiving case count in the outside community, probably being brought into the facility unwittingly by employees.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.