Make Us Laugh!

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

@Orwar -- comments, off the record?

Funnily, I was looking into the origins of various attributes of the modern vampire (I still think the 19thC literary vampires are by far the best!), and though I still refuse to accept the concept of vampires dying from sunlight (which was introduced by Nosferatu in 1921, and replicated in the Universal film 10 years later (the death scene in the book of course being much too graphical to put in film - even the otherwise progressive 1958 film with Lee and Cushing went with the sun death, but the scene is finally played out as written (kind of ) in the 1992 film - although it's dragged out a fair bit to insert more drama, the entire scene is just two sentences in the book!). 

The mirror thing goes all the way back though, as in Slavic folklore all reflective surfaces were possessed by a spirit (a 'Zerkalitsa') who is in fact the entity which takes the form of whoever is reflected - or rather, their soul. The spirit also abhors vampires (possibly due to that they don't have a soul, but at other times vampires are described as soulless and sometimes they are the manifestation of a soul and that it's their corporeal being that isn't really there - things get confusing!), and therefor refuse to take on their shape.

So, yes. Telescopes using mirrors would indeed not be able to detect vampires! As for whether space is full of us .. I shan't spoil any surprises for future generations who make it out there! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Or one could just throw him into a volcano?

Feels like a bit of an overreaction to a little biting! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Can't even complain about people going off-topic, as the display of  pearl-clutching ignorami resorting to ad hominem over something they themselves admit that they do not understand, is the people-equivalence of this:

cat-jump-fall-cat-fail.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Can't even complain about people going off-topic, as the display of  pearl-clutching ignorami resorting to ad hominem over something they themselves admit that they do not understand, is the people-equivalence of this:

cat-jump-fall-cat-fail.gif

Nice "counter" argument, "jumping" to a nice conclusion!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm going to get one of these for my RL house -- and make one for my SL house

If it wasn't for that I'd get the song stuck in my head every time I walked in or out the door ..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyOr-Ma3eFtyOovCRzWwB

• Haha 4