Need a HUG reaction button STAT!

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While dealing with the corona-virus outbreak maybe a friendly fist pump could be substituted for the hug emoji😁  New research shows a fist pump transmits 10 times less bacteria than a handshake.   Plus you look really cool and hip with the Xer and Millennial crowd!

Image result for Fist Pump Emoji

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Xers don't do cool

I had to look up Covid Eileen on google now that is cool.  You Gen Xers were silently cool trying to deal with bridging the divide between analog and digital worlds, and Boomer parents still clinging to their landline phones, rolodex cards, dewey decimal system, and record albums. (millennials please google those items).   Here are just a few X generation things that were cool:

Kurt Cobain 

Ripped Jeans

Tiger Woods

Friends (TV show)

Raves

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jameson2001 said:

You Gen Xers were silently cool trying to deal with bridging the divide between analog and digital worlds, and Boomer parents still clinging to their landline phones, rolodex cards, dewey decimal system, and record albums.

Trying to deal with bridging the divide?? We're talking about buying a CD player instead of a tape player when it broke and using a word processor instead of a typewriter, and then a pretty basic computer. Parents were just parents, some embraced tech more quickly than others but it wasn't a big deal, just a bit more of a learning curve. Mostly it all just sort of happened and incremently. Probably the hardest bit was learning how to program the blasted VCR :D

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jameson2001 said:

Kurt Cobain 

Ripped Jeans

Tiger Woods

Friends (TV show)

Raves

The really cool Xers knew that Friends sucked and so did Tiger Woods. Raves? I really feel like those were after us, or maybe I'm just an older Xer. Cobain was cool, but now in hindsight he was really just sad. Not just him - there were a whole slew of them (us). Depression was cool because it meant we were deep. Now we know we had an illness that badly needed treatment. 

Ripped jeans aren't cool anymore?!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Raves? I really feel like those were after us, or maybe I'm just an older Xer.

Underground raves were 80s and 90s, with ties to the psychedelic and disco cultures of the 60s and 70s, and further back to 50s-60s youth culture and 50s modern jazz. I think the U.S. underground scene was centered around a few locales. The U.K. being so much smaller, it was easier to get to one if you wanted to go, or know someone who did, or to just have heard about it. The big mass raves of the 2000's drew both X and millenials. Fatboy Slim is technically baby boom, born on the cusp of X. Aphex Twin is definitely X.

(sorry for geeking out. i just get a bit over excited about influence and continuity in art and culture)

Edited by Bitsy Buccaneer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2020 at 6:44 AM, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Xers don't do cool. We're the ones bouncing around singing Covid Eileen.

You caught me. 
I’m guessing that the lack of added forum reactions is 1) because it’s 3rd party forum software and 2) so people will make a post with words and effort and all, though my temptation to just post an emoji at times is big. One forum I’m on has a very pretty daisy that has evolved to mean ‘f-u’, so who’s to say, really? 

Lots of people don’t speak emoji well anyway though and think the scorn laugh is ‘cool’  and I’d hate to deprive them of the ability with a wider selection. /s

BFB42325-6D58-4388-88D4-6E88CBAA620A.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

You caught me.

Lots of people don’t speak emoji well anyway though and think the scorn laugh is ‘cool’  and I’d hate to deprive them of the ability with a wider selection. /s

I just see the scorn laugh as them getting their own flavour of entertainment out of it :) . Some laugh at jokes, some laugh scornfully. It's theirs, not mine. For all they might want to make me feel bad, life's too short to give distant people on the internet that sort of power over my emotions. 

🎶 too ra loo roll too ra loo roll yay  :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I think people are a little bit to obsessed with reaction icons at times. If you want to give a hug, you can use the emote in a response to what they said just as easy. No real need for another reaction emoticon to be added to the forums.

Why what harm would it do?  If you don't want to use it then don't.  Plenty of us would use it when necessary to show our compassion for someone

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I think people are a little bit to obsessed with reaction icons at times. If you want to give a hug, you can use the emote in a response to what they said just as easy. No real need for another reaction emoticon to be added to the forums.

It may be easy enough to post an emote but when enough of those come through, it makes a thread unwieldy and can also interrupt the flow of conversation. The reaction icons help keep a thread tidier.

They also contribute to a sense of community. Sometimes it's good to see that in one place, a sort of internet approximation of sitting around with a group of friends in real life and hearing everyone's reactions to what's been said.

I don't think most of the people asking for a hug emoticon are obsessed with them. Maybe a few in the vanity threads I suppose. But this thread is very much about community. The reaction icons are just part of that.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 10:05 AM, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Bitsy, you make a sold point that it can be about community. Adding it would be ok I guess as long as it does not contribute to reputation like some of the other emoticons that dont.

Does it really matter what someone has by way of reputation points though? There was discussion of that awhile back and the majority of regulars said they weren't fussed about reputation points. And it does seem we're a small enough community here that we know and react to each other.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Does it really matter what someone has by way of reputation points though? There was discussion of that awhile back and the majority of regulars said they weren't fussed about reputation points. And it does seem we're a small enough community here that we know and react to each other.

Then if it matters so little the why doesnt LL just remove the reputation system all together and just have the reactions be reactions with no reputation points for them. Simple because there are some very vain people on these forums even if some members do not want to admit to it or accept it and LL panders to them to keep them happy, to keep them here.

Vanity/reputation systems should not be pandered too in any community, it doesnt help the community grow or stay together, in the end it just cause more problems than good.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 1:17 AM, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Responses take up thread space, likes don't. Those who are being responded to would either have to be quoted or mentioned in the response to be made aware of it.

The "Like" system is pretty darned efficient.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Responses take up thread space, likes don't.

likes can be pointless and added for meaningless reasons, responses actually show some thought and time was taken to write them usually compared to just clicking a button. But I guess that is too much for some people to do, they just want an easy lazy way to respond to what someone said.

It would be better, for people to think and respond to why they liked what was said about the post, it gives more depth of meaning at that point then a like/hug ever can.

As toward taking up space.. guess people are just to lazy to read an extra reply and want things kept simple and easy to read. It takes less than a moment to read a response or scroll on by it and ignore it. There is no limit to the size of thread or how many replies it can have.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Then if it matters so little the why doesnt LL just remove the reputation system all together and just have the reactions be reactions with no reputation points for them. Simple because there are some very vain people on these forums even if some members do not want to admit to it or accept it and LL panders to them to keep them happy, to keep them here.

Vanity/reputation systems should not be pandered too in any community, it doesnt help the community grow or stay together, in the end it just cause more problems than good.

Put in a request then, if it matters this much to you and you sincerely believe all this about pandering. As for the community staying together, the forums have been going in one form or another for a very long time. The community here is pretty solid. Given the evidence of my own experience, having read and participated on and off for close to a decade now, I'm not at all convinced by your assertions.

There's a quicker and easier way to sort the problem though, just stop giving strangers on the internet this much influence over your emotions. People are going to people, and sometimes that will include things we don't care for. You can let it upset you, or not. It's just a number under a picture under a name.

19 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

likes can be pointless and added for meaningless reasons, responses actually show some thought and time was taken to write them usually compared to just clicking a button. But I guess that is too much for some people to do, they just want an easy lazy way to respond to what someone said.

It would be better, for people to think and respond to why they liked what was said about the post, it gives more depth of meaning at that point then a like/hug ever can.

As toward taking up space.. guess people are just to lazy to read an extra reply and want things kept simple and easy to read. It takes less than a moment to read a response or scroll on by it and ignore it. There is no limit to the size of thread or how many replies it can have.

It's not about reading or scrolling past a single response. It's about having to do that for multiple posts for every post of content. The format here looks to be a minimum of 2 inches per post at 100% magnification on my laptop screen. In the interest of talking facts, I did a quick count and it looks like 47 likes on this page so far. If each of them were communicated via separate posts, at the minimum spacing, that would be an additional 94 inches of reactions to scroll through for this page alone. And 94 divided by 12 is... 7.8 feet.

Are you telling me you'd be happy to skim and scroll through an additional 7.8 feet of material? 

It's not being lazy to use a reaction button. It's giving some feedback while still keeping the forums readable. The option to write more is always available and often used. Have you not noticed that?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Still no hug button, let alone a RuPaul button, I am disappointed. Here are the buttons from my forums, for comparison. People use the hell out of them, and still also manage to write posts. Amazing, that.

image.png.97cfc842c8d9ddbc2e42fe0d9dad1ca8.png

*bag of dildos emoji* 

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.