Avocados & Avocatos & Death & Taxes & Religion & Viewer Tips & ...

Seicher Rae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was a very picky eater as a child - sort of still am, but not near as bad. I would never even try guac or avocados until I was out of college.  I liked the dip with chips, but it took me a while to like avocado served other ways.  Now I like avocado slices on sandwiches and wraps, but I'm still not wild about the taste of avocados with my eggs - which is something that a lot of people around here eat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Meat, cheese, AND chocolate????

Why not just say "Food"?

I actually am (supposed to be anyway) on what is called a FODMAP diet for IBS and a FODMAP site is from whence the graphic came. zomg... it is incredibly complicated and not intuitive. It IS based on scientific research, and is becoming a gold standard for the treatment of IBS. I was at first tested for celiac, and I was all panicked because: bread. Ahahahahaha... giving up gluten would have been a breeze in comparison. (To be accurate, the meat and HARD cheese on the graphic are NOT part of FODMAP, and I think dark chocolate (but not milk choc) is also allowed on the FODMAP.) But yeah... just... food.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I actually am (supposed to be anyway) on what is called a FODMAP diet for IBS and a FODMAP site is from whence the graphic came. zomg... it is incredibly complicated and not intuitive. It IS based on scientific research, and is becoming a gold standard for the treatment of IBS. I was at first tested for celiac, and I was all panicked because: bread. Ahahahahaha... giving up gluten would have been a breeze in comparison. (To be accurate, the meat and HARD cheese on the graphic are NOT part of FODMAP, and I think dark chocolate (but not milk choc) is also allowed on the FODMAP.) But yeah... just... food.

... ... But are you allowed to eat roasted marrow on toast?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I hope that's sourdough. Nothing else comes close. Especially with giant cucumber.

Who do you think I am? Of course sourdough. Life is too short for inferior bread. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Orwar said:

... ... But are you allowed to eat roasted marrow on toast?

On FODMAP you might have to have a wheat restriction, but it is not because of the gluten. It is because of the high level of fructans in the wheat. Fructan is the F in FODMAP. Oddly enough @BelindaN traditionally made, slow ferment sourdough has virtually or no fructans in it, because of the process! So sourdough bread (real sourdough, not the mass marketed stuff they just add flavorings to regular bread), is allowed!

So while you were kidding Orwar (and I got that, and laughed) the answer to your question is a resounding YES! I can have roasted marrow on sourdough toast. And BelindaN can have the cucumbers with. :)  (I hate cucumbers.)(And pickles.)

Edited by Seicher Rae
I can no longer do verb noun agreements. :/

/me blows the dust off of this thread & taps the mic "Is this thing on?"

I am reanimating this for one reason: @Scylla Rhiadra who mentioned her go-to chocolate is Lindt. I saw this informal sociological glance at the Lindt Chef and thought it was interesting, and it even has academics weighing in. I love the last lines, "In fact, he never appears in any context other than his kitchen — all of which just might be a huge part of his appeal. As one friend noted, “He’s this guy who makes you chocolate and you literally don’t have to put up with him.”

The Lindt chocolate guy is a ...  link to WaPo article.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

/me blows the dust off of this thread & taps the mic "Is this thing on?"

I am reanimating this for one reason: @Scylla Rhiadra who mentioned her go-to chocolate is Lindt. I saw this informal sociological glance at the Lindt Chef and thought it was interesting, and it even has academics weighing in. I love the last lines, "In fact, he never appears in any context other than his kitchen — all of which just might be a huge part of his appeal. As one friend noted, “He’s this guy who makes you chocolate and you literally don’t have to put up with him.”

The Lindt chocolate guy is a ...  link to WaPo article.

Oh my . . .

Is the "O" face on the women in the ad just about the chocolate? I'm obviously buying my Lindt at the wrong outlet.

More seriously . . . really clever campaign. And I don't see much in it to which one really might object, beyond the fact that, well, it's an ad, and it's trying to sell you something.

I like it.

And now I'm going to go buy some chocolate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Is the "O" face on the women in the ad just about the chocolate? I'm obviously buying my Lindt at the wrong outlet.

You've seen the Flake Girl, right? 

My ambition for my son is to get him to be The Milkybar Kid.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

You've seen the Flake Girl, right?

I hadn't! It never made it over here. At least I don't recall seeing them!

It's really very interesting that, in this instance anyway, sexualizing chocolate doesn't mean having hunky guys on screen, but rather just women, um . . . enjoying themselves. It's hard to imagine an ad targeting men with sexual imagery doing the same thing.

16 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

My ambition for my son is to get him to be The Milkybar Kid.

The Jolly Green Giant would probably be a healthier role model, but I think you've got the right idea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

I was looking for this thread the other day when I wanted to post a now lost pic of JANE Fonda on the red carpet at age 82, looking like she is 42. Just squint your eyes and imagine.

Here ya go. The tabloids can't seem to figure out whether to have drama about rewearing a dress she wore 6 years ago or that she showed up with her naturally gray hair... cuz: important.

Capture.JPG

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

The tabloids can't seem to figure out whether to have drama about rewearing a dress she wore 6 years ago or that she showed up with her naturally gray hair... cuz: important.

Megan Kelly will probably want to interview her to ask where she gets her gowns dry cleaned.

• Haha 3

It tickles me that advertising people still seemed surprised that women have sexual desires and appetites and sometimes enjoy a bit of eye candy. 

You'd think they'd have learned with the Diet Coke guy back in the 80s. Women find handsome men sexually attractive. SHOCKING!

That said, the Lindt chocolate guy can drizzle his creations on me any day of the week and twice on Sundays. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.