Genus Pros & Cons?

Armani223

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My only aesthetic gripe with my Genus Classic is that danged nose. My system avatar (and myself in RL) has a very straight nose. With my Genus, there is no amount of slider work I can do to replicate it.  

I’m not a fan of the animations, and have finally defaulted to using either the Vista Elena AO with Genus facial animations, or the Vista Facial AO with the Vista Miriam AO. 

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

My only aesthetic gripe with my Genus Classic is that danged nose. My system avatar (and myself in RL) has a very straight nose. With my Genus, there is no amount of slider work I can do to replicate it.  

I’m not a fan of the animations, and have finally defaulted to using either the Vista Elena AO with Genus facial animations, or the Vista Facial AO with the Vista Miriam AO. 

The nose bothers me too. I also have a very straight nose for real and that's easy to get with Catwa, but not with genus, not in a way where it looks anything like how I want it to. I don't like how it makes a lot of hairstyle I love, unusable because of how big the top of the head is. Yes I know I can smash the head so it looks even less like me but even like that, the hairline and quite a lot of hair looks strange. Hopefully something new comes along and I hope it's  from someone new or Catwa. Genus feels very GENeric to me and lacks personality and I don't just mean the actual  heads, although I do mostly mean the actual heads! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm still relatively new to SL, but I've purchased several heads as I tend to enjoy exploring different looks. 

I recently got a Genus Baby Face and I love the shape of it and the sliders are really fun to play around with unlike Catwa heads that don't really like being pushed beyond certain points which is a big -no- for me. I have two Lelutkas (Korina and Guy) and in my opinion they are some of the best heads out there. The huds are amazing, the animations are always smooth and gorgeous and overall they are easy to use. Catwa heads - while most popular - are very much at the low end of all spectrums for me. They are popular but I suppose only due to name popularity alone. Nothing about Catwa heads puts them over any of the other brands out there. I'm new and have no horse in the race ~ But I highly suggest picking up a Genus if you enjoy the shapes and style. They have the best noses imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, NewLuden said:

I'm still relatively new to SL, but I've purchased several heads as I tend to enjoy exploring different looks. 

I recently got a Genus Baby Face and I love the shape of it and the sliders are really fun to play around with unlike Catwa heads that don't really like being pushed beyond certain points which is a big -no- for me. I have two Lelutkas (Korina and Guy) and in my opinion they are some of the best heads out there. The huds are amazing, the animations are always smooth and gorgeous and overall they are easy to use. Catwa heads - while most popular - are very much at the low end of all spectrums for me. They are popular but I suppose only due to name popularity alone. Nothing about Catwa heads puts them over any of the other brands out there. I'm new and have no horse in the race ~ But I highly suggest picking up a Genus if you enjoy the shapes and style. They have the best noses imo. 

The noses on Genus are probably the ugliest I've seen in any character customization toolset not just in SL but in modern gaming in general besides maybe Division 2. I have never seen anyone with the Classic nose in RL mainly because the tip looks really unusual and very uncommon to see. It's almost like looking at a caricature of a person instead of a real person; and the same goes for baby and strong and shots I've seen of "Strange" which probably will be out at the Skin fair.  The slider range is terrible on all 3 heads as well. Some sliders do very little to near nothing at all within a 50 point range.  Additional issues are the foreheads/cranium sections which are wacky looking and just another characteristic of Genus heads that are in juxtaposition to the realism the Genus creator seemed to be going for.  I have about 3000 hairstyles from 2018 to current date and maybe less than one quarter of that hair I can wear with Genus. I recently sorted through my inventory and marked only a small number of hair folders with the letter G so I remember which can fit to those heads.  The other 2 heads have their problems too which crush any amount  of hope I had at making a nice and normal look with that brand of mesh heads.

I'm not trying to beat-up the creator, I actually hope they make a more universal head with more neutral features. I think quite a few Catwa heads accomplished this already which is why most of my friends use them. 

Edited by Night Rainfall

4 minutes ago, Night Rainfall said:

The noses on Genus are probably the ugliest I've seen in any character customization toolset not just in SL but in modern gaming in general besides maybe Division 2. I have never seen anyone with the Classic nose in RL mainly because the tip looks really unusual and very uncommon to see. It's almost like looking at a caricature of a person instead of a real person; and the same goes for baby and strong and shots I've seen of "Strange" which probably will be out at the Skin fair.  The slider range is terrible on all 3 heads as well. Some sliders do very little to near nothing at all within a 50 point range.  Additional issues are the foreheads/cranium sections which are wacky looking and just another characteristic of Genus heads that are in juxtaposition to the realism the Genus creator seemed to be going for.  I have about 3000 hairstyles from 2018 to current date and maybe less than one quarter of that hair I can wear with Genus. I recently sorted through my inventory and marked only a small number of hair folders with the letter G so I remember which can fit to those heads.  The other 2 heads have their problems too which crush any amount  of hope I had at making a nice and normal look with that brand of mesh heads.

I'm not trying to beat-up the creator, I actually hope they make a more universal head with more neutral features. I think quite a few Catwa heads accomplished this already which is why most of my friends use them. 

I like the noses because they are more familiarly ethnic than the other heads.My nose is very similar to the Babyface head irl and I am a minority. I do understand if you've not seen many different people with different noses IRL. But to me, as I stated before, they have the best noses and my other friends who I've suggested heads to with a similar nose IRL have gone with Genus. I can understand your distaste for them if you don't like certain rounded features. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewLuden said:

I like the noses because they are more familiarly ethnic than the other heads.My nose is very similar to the Babyface head irl and I am a minority. I do understand if you've not seen many different people with different noses IRL. But to me, as I stated before, they have the best noses and my other friends who I've suggested heads to with a similar nose IRL have gone with Genus. I can understand your distaste for them if you don't like certain rounded features. :)

I was talking mostly about the classic head's odd nose tip which looks like something is growing out of the tip. The baby head's nose is okay,  it is the cheeks on that specific head which are chipmunk like. The cheek sliders could have more range than they do and should and still could if they updated it. I don't see why they can't add that flexibility to that head, it's the one of the 3 that is easiest to embrace.

46 minutes ago, Night Rainfall said:

I was talking mostly about the classic head's odd nose tip which looks like something is growing out of the tip. The baby head's nose is okay,  it is the cheeks on that specific head which are chipmunk like. The cheek sliders could have more range than they do and should and still could if they updated it. I don't see why they can't add that flexibility to that head, it's the one of the 3 that is easiest to embrace.

My brother-in-law and niece both have that kind of nose tip, but you are correct that it is not that common.

I don't loathe it; I personally happen to dislike that I really can't reshape it past that 😕

1 hour ago, iamwakingup said:

To each their own, some will like, some will dislike.

Demos are there to see if you want it or pass it.

Personally I love my Genus Baby, purchased after buying Classic and Strong which I am not liking.

Snapshot_077.png

Yeah those pics were a little bit much. You don’t like the heads, you don’t like the heads.

On 3/8/2020 at 8:03 PM, BloodDoll Lulu said:

The nose bothers me too. I also have a very straight nose for real and that's easy to get with Catwa, but not with genus, not in a way where it looks anything like how I want it to. I don't like how it makes a lot of hairstyle I love, unusable because of how big the top of the head is. Yes I know I can smash the head so it looks even less like me but even like that, the hairline and quite a lot of hair looks strange. Hopefully something new comes along and I hope it's  from someone new or Catwa. Genus feels very GENeric to me and lacks personality and I don't just mean the actual  heads, although I do mostly mean the actual heads! 

I have a very turned up nose in rl and I cannot seem to get a good turned up nose except on a Classic Avatar.  With the mesh heads, the turn up doesn't look like what I personally want on the ones I've demo-ed.  

I'd say to the OP if you have the extra money to blow...it's your money.

I wish there were more mesh heads in general.  I got a couple of free ones as a limited promo but those free ones are very difficult to find skins for etc and the skin they come with has no life to it at all, is very flat and really looks like a doll.  

When I was completely new to mesh heads, both were a disaster.  However, I personally thought the Catwa hud was easier to understand as a complete newbie than the Genus hud.  But, since you already know about huds and aren't a newbie, I don't think the huds are too much of an issue for you.  Plus, it sounds like there are good work-arounds.  

Maybe find a picture of what you are looking for here and ask for guidance because otherwise it could just lead to hours of frustration.

I'm not crazy with the way the hair is sitting (in some of the photos) here of Genus, but Catwa can have issues with hair not sitting right too.

To tell you the truth, I've Photoshopped the hair to fix photos many a time.  

p.s.  Edit to Add:  The new Magika hairs can help some of these hair issues if I recall correctly.  On MP, just pick NEWEST FIRST from the drop down window to look at new Magika hairs in the Magika store.  

The hair issue does need some better work-arounds for the blonde and white hairs especially.  Magika may be one solution people could look into.  

Edited by FairreLilette

59 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I have a very turned up nose in rl and I cannot seem to get a good turned up nose except on a Classic Avatar.  With the mesh heads, the turn up doesn't look like what I personally want on the ones I've demo-ed.  

I'd say to the OP if you have the extra money to blow...it's your money.

I wish there were more mesh heads in general.  I got a couple of free ones as a limited promo but those free ones are very difficult to find skins for etc and the skin they come with has no life to it at all, is very flat and really looks like a doll.  

When I was completely new to mesh heads, both were a disaster.  However, I personally thought the Catwa hud was easier to understand as a complete newbie than the Genus hud.  But, since you already know about huds and aren't a newbie, I don't think the huds are too much of an issue for you.  Plus, it sounds like there are good work-arounds.  

Maybe find a picture of what you are looking for here and ask for guidance because otherwise it could just lead to hours of frustration.

I'm not crazy with the way the hair is sitting (in some of the photos) here of Genus, but Catwa can have issues with hair not sitting right too.

To tell you the truth, I've Photoshopped the hair to fix photos many a time.  

p.s.  Edit to Add:  The new Magika hairs can help some of these hair issues if I recall correctly.  On MP, just pick NEWEST FIRST from the drop down window to look at new Magika hairs in the Magika store.  

The hair issue does need some better work-arounds for the blonde and white hairs especially.  Magika may be one solution people could look into.  

I actually know all this stuff I probably spend more time with shapes and customization than the average person. My post count is low but I've been on SL since Teen Grid SL.  I usually make my avatars resemble me and other than Catwa and a very specific skin that took years to find, nothing currently works. Genus looks way wrong because of the noses (every pic it's evident), cheeks, noses, eyes and noses, and the giant foreheads that makes hair not fit right, always problems the hairstyles that resemble mine the most.  I can continue to use Catwa I just wanted an upgrade.

Edited by BloodDoll Lulu

To those with issues in this thread regarding hair 'and' like I've said, I've dealt with it with Catwa too...what about the new BOM hairbases?  

Here is a link to BOM hairbases...this one looks kind of interesting.   This is the first I've seen of them.  

BOM hairbases do seem needed...this one may be a little too sparse for some.  I had in the past tried other hair bases and for blondes or white hair the hair bases did not look all that good imo.  

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/ALANTORI-Maeve-Hairbase-in-15-Colors-BOM/18953438

Edited by FairreLilette

19 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

To those with issues in this thread regarding hair 'and' like I've said, I've dealt with it with Catwa too...what about the new BOM hairbases?  

Here is a link to BOM hairbases...this one looks kind of interesting.   This is the first I've seen of them.  

BOM hairbases do seem needed...this one may be a little too sparse for some.  I had in the past tried other hair bases and for blondes or white hair the hair bases did not look all that good imo.  

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/ALANTORI-Maeve-Hairbase-in-15-Colors-BOM/18953438

I have pink hair so it's never worked  great for me, so much tinting to make various creators different version of pink work. I have probably every hairbase you can find,  but I can also make my own.  I feel like playing on a 4k monitor makes all of this is even more noticeable.  I really need to clean my inventory out after all this trial and error.  I think just over the past 4 months of me trying Genus my inventory grew another 230,000 items. Sadly all of that was me trying to fix things and nothing I'll keep. Some hairbases work okay for some hair but there's a quite a few Lamb, 2018/2019 Doux,  and a couple Magicka and some other places where it's just not something easily fixed. Several were closer to my real hair than a majority of the newest hair I've bought.  All of those worked fine on Catwa obviously since I used that head with them and even demoing Lelutka.  The one thing Genus has is that larger upper head that is the main problem but even if the hair fit the head itself or blended well with a hairbase, there is still the noses (and cheeks) and as someone else said somewhere the sliders could correct it but the range on them across several digits doesn't even move.

Edited by BloodDoll Lulu

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 2:39 PM, FairreLilette said:

really looks like a doll.  

Found this thread in a search for ‘doll’ so for some of us, that’s an advantage! 😉 

@FairreLilette Genus Baby Face nose is cute and seems to be more turned up. I’m not sure if you’re pursuing a human look anymore but I just thought I would mention it.

i have Catwa Catya and Lelutka Simone and I alternate between them depending on the look I want. I have an Akeruka Lulu too but I did not have much luck getting a look I liked with her. 
I’ll be demoing all 3 of these this week to test for some dolly looks on an alt and yes, I know that the doll thing is not relevant to most people, it just kind of helps to see something way off and left field in order to assess the possibilities of all the different heads. Sometimes thinking a little more out of the box helps inform even the regular choices. So no I’m not pushing some kind of ‘doll agenda’, it’s just something that I enjoy and as a side note I noticed that it really showcases exaggeration and the wide variety of things that you can do with the different heads that you might not normally think to do, which may help some people push the limits and experiment more to find their own style(s).

00DC776B-3D37-4A19-9FFF-6BD575AD9C89.jpeg

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Free genus strong (not w001 or w002, special group gift) face available to group members today.

What's the difference, do you know? I have Classic and Baby Face, but not Strong, so I don't have a point of comparison. (And I haven't unpacked the new one yet!)

I wouldn't want to be a CSR in the Genus group right now. They're going to be fielding a lot of anger from people who scrimped and saved to afford their Genus Strong head, only to see it given away free, even if it is a slightly different version. Those who can afford multiple heads can afford to be magnanimous, but I feel sorry for those who struggled to afford just that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What's the difference, do you know? I have Classic and Baby Face, but not Strong, so I don't have a point of comparison. (And I haven't unpacked the new one yet!)

I really couldn’t tell you, because I’m not able to log in right now. I was just passing word along since I saw it on Flickr. Since there are two versions with different noses and mouths, I can only assume this is a third variation of the nose and mouth.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Looking at other brands and their group chat:

"Why aren't you offering your heads for free??!?!!!"

🙄

Yep. We had a doozie earlier. Paraphrased: "I'm so disappointed with Catwa because she's not giving away any head for the worldwide crisis."

Didn't know that giving out free mesh heads is the cure for COVID-19...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.