Genus Pros & Cons?

Armani223

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, janetosilio said:

Free genus strong (not w001 or w002, special group gift) face available to group members today.

Free group join too i grabbed it for one alt to try there's also a free bento head by Dream made available for "stay at home club" less fully featured and fully BoM

Well I picked it up today and I have to say I like it much better now than I did when I first demoed it last year. I think maybe that's down to the different skins I'm using now. In fact I think I managed to get the Genus Strong head closer to my original Catwa male head than I can with Catwa Margeaux.

Switched it to BOM right away and tried it first with my Pink Fuel skin and hair from Magika, and suddenly I was @Rhonda Huntress!!

200404_002.thumb.jpg.3881e5079fd1b925a08d9fe5c3e60ba3.jpg

Next, with a bit of a shape tweak and my other regular skin from Flamboyant;

200404_001.thumb.jpg.9f47763955baee6c7c54698ba03298b3.jpg

I'm liking this head a lot, except for the ears, and I haven't run across any problems with hair at all, though with most of my usual styles I'm having to select the smaller ones, where there's a choice. This head seems to be narrower side-to-side than Catwa Margeaux. The ears do not do "pointy elf" anywhere near as well as Catwa's do, so I guess I'll be hiding them and going back to adding third-party ears with this head.

I can't say yet if I'll be switching to this one full time, or just with certain skins.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 6

The nose still bothers me even on the new head free head. it's frustrating catwa is the only place that has my nose. I've demo'd every head in sl and tired every skin and then forgot about it, then tried them all again. I can sort of make my own skins too at this point but the problem is not with the skins it's those noses at least with genus and the cheeks too. They never get the combo right for what I want and It's just so far removed from how I look.   Hopefully a new head comes along that does what Catwa Catya did but higher detail.

Edited by BloodDoll Lulu

10 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Well I picked it up today and I have to say I like it much better now than I did when I first demoed it last year. I think maybe that's down to the different skins I'm using now. In fact I think I managed to get the Genus Strong head closer to my original Catwa male head than I can with Catwa Margeaux.

Switched it to BOM right away and tried it first with my Pink Fuel skin and hair from Magika, and suddenly I was @Rhonda Huntress!!

200404_002.thumb.jpg.3881e5079fd1b925a08d9fe5c3e60ba3.jpg

Next, with a bit of a shape tweak and my other regular skin from Flamboyant;

200404_001.thumb.jpg.9f47763955baee6c7c54698ba03298b3.jpg

I'm liking this head a lot, except for the ears, and I haven't run across any problems with hair at all, though with most of my usual styles I'm having to select the smaller ones, where there's a choice. This head seems to be narrower side-to-side than Catwa Margeaux. The ears do not do "pointy elf" anywhere near as well as Catwa's do, so I guess I'll be hiding them and going back to adding third-party ears with this head.

I can't say yet if I'll be switching to this one full time, or just with certain skins.

Looking pretty good, Matty! 👍

My alt got the head and paired it with the Nebula - Andromeda skin (a Stay-at-Home gift) and added eyebrows from Booty's Beauty.  She's feeling pretty pleased with the results. lolzlulz.thumb.png.20805b882e62b249d7b67bab431435bf.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BloodDoll Lulu said:

The nose still bothers me even on the new head free head. it's frustrating catwa is the only place that has my nose. I've demo'd every head in sl and tired every skin and then forgot about it, then tried them all again. I can sort of make my own skins too at this point but the problem is not with the skins it's those noses at least with genus and the cheeks too. They never get the combo right for what I want and It's just so far removed from how I look.   Hopefully a new head comes along that does what Catwa Catya did but higher detail.

I like the nose on this head but I understand your frustration. For me with most heads it's the mouth I cannot get right.

Haven't read the whole thread... so apologies if someone else already mentioned it. 

The head works well with male skins too. I've played around with it for an old man RP character and he looks amazing.

Great for older classic skins too as it can very easily be converted to BOM. You may want to use tattoo fixes for the fingers and toes.

Emma :) 

Leo_001.png

Edited by Emma Krokus
attach snapshot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 3/7/2020 at 9:55 PM, janetosilio said:

When the hate comes Genus wearers be like....

Be like.png

I like the Classic head from Genus although I don't know much about it yet.  It is one on my radar scope.

The picture of Gwenth with the shine on her face was funny.  That was what the beauty industry was all gung-ho about 10-15 years ago...using products that put shine on your face and looking at it now looks downright silly.  The beauty industry though putting that shine on our face was to give us that dewy fresh look of a toddler's skin.  

Some of the crazy things women go through, men will never know.

The strong face is interesting.

The baby face I do not care for.  If I were going for something unusual and doll-like, I'd be a Chibit.  

32 minutes ago, Klaineanderson said:

i think i got the look i wanted. I love the nose, lips are  cute i think.The only thing that eyes are not BOM(

If you buy the Genus Omega installer from Omega Systems, and also pick up this little gadget... https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Omega-Add-Ons-Applier-Tools/10734638... you can make the eyes BOM as well. That's what I've done with mine.

• Thanks 2

On 4/6/2020 at 8:43 AM, FairreLilette said:

I like the Classic head from Genus although I don't know much about it yet.  It is one on my radar scope.

The picture of Gwenth with the shine on her face was funny.  That was what the beauty industry was all gung-ho about 10-15 years ago...using products that put shine on your face and looking at it now looks downright silly.  The beauty industry though putting that shine on our face was to give us that dewy fresh look of a toddler's skin.  

Some of the crazy things women go through, men will never know.

The strong face is interesting.

The baby face I do not care for.  If I were going for something unusual and doll-like, I'd be a Chibit.  

I would like it if they'd make a new head based on the genus strong 2 head, since it has somewhat normal looking features and put a totally straight nose on it and call it Strong 4: A New Hope. Most people I talk to still using other brand heads are waiting on that straight, NOT wide nose, no dip, no half pipe curves or fatty tips or too prominent nostrils.  I'd also like to see the end of the baby structured chin on non baby heads. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Not yet. A DMCA will likely take weeks or months to untangle, not days.

Wow, so in the meantime genus creator could basically end up broke, only to find out it was a fake DMCA?... isn't that a possible outcome someone sent a bogus claim?

1 minute ago, Sassy Kenin said:

Wow, so in the meantime genus creator could basically end up broke, only to find out it was a fake DMCA?... isn't that a possible outcome someone sent a bogus claim?

It could be bogus but if they persist, and the DMCA is found to be false, they'd be in a lot of legal trouble. It's basically perjury. They would likely have to pay damages to Genus as well. Even if the DMCA is genuine, it doesn't necessarily mean that their business is done with. It might be something as simple as a script,  in which case they would need to do is replace those, and then they could carry on with business as usual. But even doing that might take time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

It could be bogus but if they persist, and the DMCA is found to be false, they'd be in a lot of legal trouble. It's basically perjury. They would likely have to pay damages to Genus as well.

What if they live in China or India?

5 hours ago, Sassy Kenin said:

What if they live in China or India?

You'd have to research that.  I copy and pasted some info below.  I'm not quite sure this is at all correct.  The company who is found not guilty could sue (see below) but, again, the one filing a counter suit would pretty much have to make sure they could even retrieve any monies for damages or it wouldn't be worth it...it would be throwing money in the garbage to sue someone who has no money.  And, in China and India dollars for yen and rupees would not be worth much of anything...more like pennies.  Who wants to sue for pennies?  DMCA and trolls?  Sounds like the only ones who win are lawyers.  It's BS if that is the case.  

you can sue the copyright trolls in court for false litigation and win. You will not be able to include YT or Google as defendants, however, as their terms of service ("adhesion contract") grants the companies full immunity even if they were in any way directly involved.Nov 6, 2019

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+happens+if+a+DMCA+claim+is+false&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS784US784&oq=what+happens+if+a+DMCA+claim+is+false&aqs=chrome..69i57j33l5.22781j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by FairreLilette

4 minutes ago, LavenderCherie said:

Not sure if it's the right place but yeah... My genus came with a basic animation hud, I had a play around and now my av keeps smiling uncontrollably despite pressing stop and resetting the skeleton a million times. Anyone else have these issues?

Try the viewer menu: Avatar > Avatar Health > Stop Avatar Animations & Revoke Permissions.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, LavenderCherie said:

Not sure if it's the right place but yeah... My genus came with a basic animation hud, I had a play around and now my av keeps smiling uncontrollably despite pressing stop and resetting the skeleton a million times. Anyone else have these issues?

That sounds very annoying. I have an old version of the head that still pops up in some of my older outfits (apparently "find and replace" didn't get everything), and it always appears with an absolutely ghastly "sad" expression.

The old animation HUD was glitchy as hell; the newish one is fair bit better, and it at least shows what animation is playing. I find that clicking "Stop" on the HUD usually not only ends the facial animation, but whatever else is playing too, but that doesn't work for you? Is it possible you're not using the latest version of the HUD?

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That sounds very annoying. I have an old version of the head that still pops up in some of my older outfits (apparently "find and replace" didn't get everything), and it always appears with an absolutely ghastly "sad" expression.

The old animation HUD was glitchy as hell; the newish one is fair bit better, and it at least shows what animation is playing. I find that clicking "Stop" on the HUD usually not only ends the facial animation, but whatever else is playing too, but that doesn't work for you? Is it possible you're not using the latest version of the HUD?

I got the genus head about 3 weeks ago? So I'm hoping it's the latest version! It lulls me into a false sense of security - acting like it's fixed then when I least expect it... BAM, the hideous smile returns.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LavenderCherie said:

I got the genus head about 3 weeks ago? So I'm hoping it's the latest version! It lulls me into a false sense of security - acting like it's fixed then when I least expect it... BAM, the hideous smile returns.

Huh. That certainly should be the most recent version, which dates to mid-March, I think.

Does it sort of randomly start playing? Or is it there when you put on a new outfit? (The latter was my case.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.